Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Never seen this before: saving an entire exit row

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never seen this before: saving an entire exit row

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, SW CP
I'm glad this was pulled back up actually - I've come across seat savers a ton recently. Great strategies presented for dealing with these people. Like the previous posters asked though, What the heck brought this back up - I feel like there's a good story behind it!
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
I have noticed an increase of seat saving. There has not been a flight that I have been on where there was no seat saving. Today took the cake. One man saved 4 seats and only needed three. He was hoping that no one would sit in the middle between his daughters.

My friend was on a flight from FLL to PVD and paid for EBCI. When he got on, one person was saving 18 seats. He wrote a letter and yep, there is no policy, however WN did send him a $50.00 LUV certificate.

I fly WN just about every month and certainly have a huge increase.

ML
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by Mary Louise
I have noticed an increase of seat saving. There has not been a flight that I have been on where there was no seat saving. Today took the cake. One man saved 4 seats and only needed three. He was hoping that no one would sit in the middle between his daughters.

My friend was on a flight from FLL to PVD and paid for EBCI. When he got on, one person was saving 18 seats. He wrote a letter and yep, there is no policy, however WN did send him a $50.00 LUV certificate.

ML

18 seats?!!!! Bahahahhahaha. LMAO. I would have sat down, put my head phones on, they would have needed to pull me off the plane before I got up. Bananas.....

"Open seating" which is in their FAQs might be a little subjective, but if there's no one in the seat, it seems open to me.....
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Mary Louise

ML
18 Seats? Yeah right.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:43 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Ive seen one person save a total of 6 seats a couple of times. If I wanted one of those seats I'd take it. My limit of tolerance is 3 seats.

For some reason nobody ever pulls this trick in Secret First Class. They always save rows near the front (very bad manners) or near the back (much better manners).
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I often save seats for family members - usually the whole row - but I would never dream of saving an exit row. Of course, since my kids are <14 I can't do that anyway.

I think it's fine to save seats - we usually board 2+2 so we are only saving a middle and window - but a whole exit row is a bit much.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:37 am

I started another thread about this.

A pox on all seat savers. If you all want to sit together, all of you should buy A1-A15 boarding. None of this buy one, hold 2 (or 4, or 6 ...).

Or rent a baby so you can board after A60.

OR fly another carrier with assigned seating.

And like I said there - all of these seat savers are costing WN money. When will corporate start demanding that FAs start enforcing the open seating policy?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Orwaid
When will corporate start demanding that FAs start enforcing the open seating policy?
Never.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:42 am

Then I am going to start my own action. I am going to sit in a saved seat and stay there, even if another seat is made available to me.

This has to stop.

And, if they did an analysis, I suspect that all this saved seats represent a lot of lost revenue. It definitely slows down boarding which increases their costs.

Last edited by Orwaid; Mar 31, 2014 at 11:47 am
Old Mar 31, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by ursine1
Never.
^ ^ ^

And personally I look forward to all the threatened confrontations on those rare occasions when I fly WN. Much more entertaining than the A&E show.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:14 pm

When will corporate start demanding that FAs start enforcing the open seating policy?
My theory is that they will go to assigned seating relatively soon. I think they can monetize that more successfully than the current pay to get on early policy, which is really "buying a ping in a poke"
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:30 pm

I don't fly WN nearly as much as I used to, but I am never afraid of calling people out.

If you are on my flight, bring the popcorn ....
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
I am going to have 3 flights on Southwest coming up this fall, going to burn my credit card signup bonus + new dish tv customer points on some flights. My plan with seat savers is just don't even ask. If I see an empty window around the middle of the plane I am taking it. Even if there is already someone in the aisle just don't ask if those seats are taken, don't even give them the chance to say they are saved. Just scoot on in there and put your fanny down in the seat.

No idea how I would handle the savers who put their crap on the seat though.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
I am going to have 3 flights on Southwest coming up this fall, going to burn my credit card signup bonus + new dish tv customer points on some flights. My plan with seat savers is just don't even ask. If I see an empty window around the middle of the plane I am taking it. Even if there is already someone in the aisle just don't ask if those seats are taken, don't even give them the chance to say they are saved. Just scoot on in there and put your fanny down in the seat.

No idea how I would handle the savers who put their crap on the seat though.
LOL so your just going to climb over a big guy without asking him to get up?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:54 pm

I don't fly WN nearly as much as I used to, but I am never afraid of calling people out.

If you are on my flight, bring the popcorn ....
I'm sure your mother's proud of you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.