Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

What happens when to EBCI priority when changing flights (before DOD)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Question about a situation I'm having right now: I'm booked on a flight out of MCO next Monday (on points), and there's a flight available for the same price that I could switch to for similar price that leaves MCO later and gets me home about an hour earlier, both of which are obviously ideal situations. I have EBCI purchased on the reservation.

Question is: when I change flights, will my EBCI purchase move with it, or will I be required to repurchase it? And assuming it sticks, will there be any detriment to my EBCI "priority" (e.g. will I still get my boarding position based on the time that I purchased EBCI for the original flight, or will it give me the same priority as somebody who purchased fresh today?)

Thanks FT!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
your EBCI will stay in place as long as you use keep the same conf #. to do this, use the change flight option rather than cancelling and rebooking.

I am not sure how EBCI BP#s are assigned, but do know they get assigned 36 hours prior to takeoff. Maybe based on fare paid (highest fare=best boarding pass position).
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:35 am

WN has never really said how their EBCI priority is computed so I'm not sure if it will change.

My experience is that if their computers have triggered the EBCI (36 hours or so before flight), you would need to repurchase the EBCI if you change flights. If EBCI hasn't been triggered yet, you can change flights and it will still be good.

I think that the WN system will ask about deleting boarding pass if the EBCI has been triggered so you will know if you need to re-buy.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:22 am

Southwest has said that the boarding position order for EBCI is: 1) Those that purchased Anytime fares (in order of the time stamp on the EBCI purchase, or possibly by fare amount), followed by 2) everyone else, in order of the time stamp on the EBCI purchase.

http://www.southwest.com/html/genera...eckin_faq.html

In my experience, changing to another flight *seems* to negatively affect the EBCI position. re: I seem to receive a higher number than expected when a purchased-well-in-advance EBCI is moved to different flight closer to departure (but more than 36 hours). Of course, there's no real way of knowing if that's the case, and it would seem to be counter to Southwest's stated ordering scheme.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.