Is this realistic

Old Dec 6, 12, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Is this realistic

I took advantage of a low price fare AUS-BWI on Christmas day. There is a change of planes in ATL, however, that is a really tight connection. Scheduled to arrive ATL @11:45 and then depart to BWI @12:10. Even if the gates are close together, certainly boarding would have already started and A-list status will be meaningless. I'm just concerned about not missing my second leg flight. Is anyone familiar with this route that might ease my worry?
Old Dec 6, 12, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
That's awfully close, in fact I'm surprised that it's within the minimum connection time. Unfortunately the AUS-DCA nonstop gets in a couple of hours later, otherwise I'd suggest that.

Can you go out on the evening 24th instead? There's a nonstop AUS-BWI at 5pm at the same price.
Old Dec 6, 12, 9:44 am

This is a very close connect. It depends if they are on the same ticket and how important it is for you to get there on time. The importance of the trip determines how close you should cut it. If it is a life or death trip, then you would go the day before.
Old Dec 6, 12, 11:53 am

Programs: DL-Gold, UA-*S, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-Titanium
According to Southwest's Website's Airport Information, WN has 3 gates in ATL (Concourse C, Gates 16,20,22). These 3 gates are very close together; so, as long as your AUS-ATL flight is on-time or close (and/or your ATL-BWI flight is delayed), I wouldn't worry too much. MCT is probably 25 min. for WN since they have only 3 gates; but, maybe someone can look it up. You might want to choose the seat closest to the front of the plane when you board so that you can get off the plane quickest though.

EDITED TO ADD: Looking at the PDF flight schedule for ATL departures, Flight #1426 (your AUS-ATL flight) appears to continue as Flight #1426 ATL-MDW (12:15pm departure).

Last edited by FindAWay; Dec 6, 12 at 11:59 am
Old Dec 6, 12, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. We can't get the same discounted fare by leaving a day earlier so will take our chances. Worst case scenario is spending four hours in ATL for next flight which hopefully will have available seats.
Old Dec 7, 12, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG Platnium, SWA A+, CP
I think you can do it. Here is why:

1. WN always builds in lead time on their arrival and overstate how long it takes to get to the destination so they can maintain their on-time %

2. Even if they lose that built in cushion, it is very possible (assuming you are able bodied and dont require wheelchair assistance or traveling with little ankle biters) to make it 3 gates.

My advice to you is to tell the GA in AUS that you have a very short connection in ATL and ask to preboard so you can sit as close to the front as possible to deplane first. Also, dont plan on checking luggage, it might not make the connection.

Otherwise you are good to go!
Old Dec 7, 12, 10:17 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
Originally Posted by carraher View Post
Thanks for all the replies. We can't get the same discounted fare by leaving a day earlier so will take our chances. Worst case scenario is spending four hours in ATL for next flight which hopefully will have available seats.
I am at the gate now. You will have NO problems catching your flight if you sit near the front for quick deplaning.

Seldom do we get loaded up and doors closed very early. Occasionally we get a half dozen blue cards to ease your concerns about a quick getaway. This is Atlanta, not Love Field.

Even a bathroom not too far away.

Since the other plane must offload pax, you will probably get your assigned spot - just don't try to sneak in front of your number!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: