Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

40% off WGA "Big winter sale" on through Oct 11

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

40% off WGA "Big winter sale" on through Oct 11

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: WN A-List, CP, Marriott Gold
What's up with these sales that don't seem to be "sales." Case in point...I often fly HOU to BWI.... on UA (from IAH), Feb 8, 2013, returning Feb 9, RT is $234.10...On FL $198.10, AA $280.50 and on WN $369.30. I am not sure what WN is thinking, perhaps they are trying to throw business over to Airtran, which lately has consistently had lower prices than WN on the routes I fly, or maybe a 50% sale coming up soon to bring these pricies in line with others - Another sale that's not a sale?...Dunno... but I just booked three RTs (HOU-BWI) on UA and saved $400+.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 3:27 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Now I'm officially upset. I booked half my trips this morning at $103 RT. I came back this afternoon to book the other half and they're $110 RT. WTH?

Southwest raised the WGA price in the middle of the day! On the first day of the sale! Shame on me for expecting sane behavior from Southwest's Pricing department. Next time I won't dawdle.

Seriously, this is some combination of incompetence and insensitivity to customers. It's not the old Southwest. When the old Southwest goofed up by advertising a $25 sale for which they couldn't possibly handle the phone calls, they hung in there for the advertised duration of the sale. They didn't play fast and loose with the pricing like this.

These pricing games are disgraceful, squandering much of the goodwill that a major sale buys for Southwest.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Now I'm officially upset. I booked half my trips this morning at $103 RT. I came back this afternoon to book the other half and they're $110 RT. WTH?
Other people bought seats on the plane, so the lower bucket sold out?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Hmm just looked at Southwest and American from ELP - LAX in the middle of January same dates on both airlines, both nonstops.

AA is giving me a price of 208 rt all in. Southwest wants 330 rt all in, add in the 40% promo code and Southwest and AA look to be about the same.

So what happened here? Have the legacies matched this sale? Or did Southwest raise fares, then turn around and have a sale?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:59 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by qwertyasdfghzxcvbn
Other people bought seats on the plane, so the lower bucket sold out?
No. the low fare calendar was $79 M-Th and now it's $85. For the whole month of January and presumably the other months of the sale.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:54 pm
73G
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP & A-List; Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by nsx
No. the low fare calendar was $79 M-Th and now it's $85. For the whole month of January and presumably the other months of the sale.
I noticed this too in many (not all) markets like most of the short haul CA routes. Probably would have been better if they had settled the fares last night and let them stay consistent for the 72 hours to avoid the annoyance of "I just looked and every fare is higher". Wasn't a problem with the last sale with its fixed prices (aside from real time inventory availability, of course.)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:43 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Can the BIGDEAL40 code be used to rebook an existing reservation?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:13 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
To obtain discount on existing reservations meeting all requirements of this discount offer, the reservation must be cancelled and a new reservation booked using the discount code (fare rules apply).
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:43 pm

It looks like US Airways is matching the SW fair on the SNA-PHX route. I was able to find roundtrips for about $100 all in, when its usually $150.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cmj542
It looks like US Airways is matching the SW fair on the SNA-PHX route. I was able to find roundtrips for about $100 all in, when its usually $150.
Whoa! I just booked a flight from SJC - PHX on Southwest for $100 one way with the 40% sale and saw that I can get a roundtrip from US Airways for $115.

Although those change fees from other airlines are what gets me, I'd really prefer my flights to stay flexible and with no-penalty cancellations.

Last edited by acwan93; Oct 11, 2012 at 1:09 am
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
With the coupon, an existing one way flight I have booked is cheaper. Can I book a roundtrip using my existing ticket credit and then cancel the return after the needed flight is flown and be credited the roundtrip less the outbound sale fare?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:51 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
With the coupon, an existing one way flight I have booked is cheaper. Can I book a roundtrip using my existing ticket credit and then cancel the return after the needed flight is flown and be credited the roundtrip less the outbound sale fare?
You can cancel either half of a round trip at any time, even moments after you booked it. Then you can re-use those funds immediately. @:-)
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nsx
You can cancel either half of a round trip at any time, even moments after you booked it. Then you can re-use those funds immediately. @:-)
Thanks. I couldn't figure out how to do it online but called and had my expected credit within 2 minutes of answer. ^

So what was the point of the coupon and roundtrip requirement if they are so easily circumvented?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 3:24 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Thanks. I couldn't figure out how to do it online but called and had my expected credit within 2 minutes of answer. ^

So what was the point of the coupon and roundtrip requirement if they are so easily circumvented?
As you found, it can't be done online. You have to phone.

Why the RT requirement? Beats me.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 6:49 am

I know there are some instances when this deal really wasn't that good, and they "adjusted" their prices some, but I scored a roundtrip from DAL-SAN over MLK weekend for $130, which is pretty insane...on top of that, i'll be using a companion pass, so it comes out to $65 each roundtrip. My flights were pretty direct as well, one stop out with one plane change, one stop back and no plane change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.