Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seats and Southwest Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. So much knowledge - will set my alarm!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by pinworm
If you want to be sure, fly with an airline that offers the advantage of assigned seating.
I cannot remember a single legacy flight I have booked in the last 6 months that had 3 open seats together that were available to me.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
I cannot remember a single legacy flight I have booked in the last 6 months that had 3 open seats together that were available to me.
And I can't remember booking 2+ weeks out where one family member sitting immediately across the aisle from the other two couldn't be executed.

Legacy or low-cost isn't the issue.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:05 pm

Checking in at T-24, the worst boarding number being something like B15, I've never boarded when there haven't been empty rows.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
We take about 6-7 RT flights/year as a family of five. Over the past 12 years we have only been split-up once (see my earlier post) and that was everything going wrong on a WN flight.

Whether legacy or other airlines we always get seats together, albeit in the not-so-pointy part of the plane. The girls all laugh/joke about being lavatory guards. It is what it is...we book discount economy. We have arrived at check-in to find seats changed and we said fine, if you think the 1 year old in the car seat should sit on her own. They have always, at the very least, put one adult w/one kid and the other w/the other two. Occasionally Mrs better 1/2 and I get out and we try to fly on the pointy end. There will be plenty more of that in the future. For now I don't mind guarding the lavs with the kids.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
If you're traveling with a child four-years-old or younger, your family can take advantage of Family Boarding which occurs AFTER all the "A" Boarding group has boarded the aircraft. This almost guarantees that all of your family members will be able to seat together somewhere on the aircraft.

On most flights, even if you're stuck in the first-half of the "B" Boarding Group (and you don't have a child four or younger travelling with you), a family of four or five should be able to find seats together in the back section of the 737.

Just don't end up in the "C" Boarding Group by checking in late. If you get stuck in the C Group, you'll probably have to split up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.