Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN FA just got approves to Hawaii & near-international flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN FA just got approves to Hawaii & near-international flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
Me thinks that Hawaii inter-island might be a good use for any -500s still in the fleet. Somebody please educate me as to how many of them WN still has.
Planespotters.net shows 21 active 737-500s in the WN fleet.

http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/Southwest-Airlines
Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Planespotters.net shows 21 active 737-500s in the WN fleet.

http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/Southwest-Airlines
That may be down to 19 or 20 by now, as I thought I saw N504SW on the MX ramp the other day with the tail logo painted over--a sure sign she's about to fly the coop for some desert storage area. We had 25 in the fleet at one point, and we're supposed to be down to about 10 by year's end, with those 10 going in 2013.

I think the only way a -500 will be seeing Hawaii is as a convenient 12-pack of Kona or Primo beer...
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by OPNLguy
That may be down to 19 or 20 by now, as I thought I saw N504SW on the MX ramp the other day with the tail logo painted over--a sure sign she's about to fly the coop for some desert storage area. We had 25 in the fleet at one point, and we're supposed to be down to about 10 by year's end, with those 10 going in 2013.

I think the only way a -500 will be seeing Hawaii is as a convenient 12-pack of Kona or Primo beer...
Chuckle. Boeing must have had one h*** of a salesman offering one h*** of a deal to get Herb to buy those 500s in the first place!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by DoctorK
Looks like the vote was really close - why the opposition by FAs?
The FA's have never opposed international/near international flying. We are looking forward to a lot of the new destinations as are our valued customers.

The opposition pertained to items such as duty day, changes to red eye flying language, adding South American cities under the "near international" classification that were not in the first TA, check-in changes due to customs and many other contractual language changes to accommodate the new destinations.

Many of you may not know it but we are not paid when the flight is on the ground, our pay does not start until the door is closed and stops when the door opens. Just thought I'd add that.

Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Eemraldskies
Many of you may not know it but we are not paid when the flight is on the ground, our pay does not start until the door is closed and stops when the door opens.
So you clean the plane for free?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
OP is knowledgeable and respected and contributes a lot. Not everyone on FT can say that. An apology is in order.
+1
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Every airline labor contract rule change grants an opportunity for the work group to demand more - some times a lot more. (Certainly a big change to the WN route network can mean more nights away from home and family so there are meaningful concerns.)
Flip side how to decide who gets to do these routes especially if it means an overnight stay.

Same with Mexico and caribbean AirTran routes.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by qwertyasdfghzxcvbn
So you clean the plane for free?
Yep. As well as sit on the ground during delays. What we perceive to be an 8 hour duty day on paper can turn into an 11 1/2 hour duty day with no additional pay. There are certain duty day maximum numbers that kick in extra pay, but not on an average day.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
Me thinks that Hawaii inter-island might be a good use for any -500s still in the fleet. Somebody please educate me as to how many of them WN still has.

I do believe they will follow a routing used by northwest where it wasa mainland-ogg-Koa mainland or a mainland-hnl-lih-mainland and a mainland -hnl-ogg-mainland.

I think they will use lax and oak as main launch points. Sea/PDF is posdble...I'm not familiar with the distance limits with certain planes in their fleet.

If the were ble to do this they could do a route like sea-hnl-PDx-sea. Then they also would add competition to the sea-PDXroute.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
It would be financially sound but a customer service disaster. So figure 50/50 chance with current management.
I think it's more like 5/95. Since it is a vacation destination and CPs are used primarily for that purpose the number of seats filled by those non-rev butts would be quite high.

I have a CP and so does my wife. I would bet heavily against our CPs being valid using current rules on Hawaii flights. Inter-Island? Probably if they were to do that. Mainland to HI? Very doubtful.

I hope I'm wrong.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:45 am

By 2014, it expects to upgrade its reservations system to sell flights to Mexico and other close international sites that also require overwater flying. Southwest's AirTran Airways subsidiary already flies to Mexico and the Caribbean.
I think the odds are assigned seating to and from Caribbean stations will be part of that reservation system "upgrade."

These are stations where it's a lot safer to know who is sitting where, as watch list databases are handled by sub-contractors working for several carriers. Such is the case at FL and DL, among others. Agents just change uniforms or lapel pins; no one needs them full-time to work one daily op.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Yep. As well as sit on the ground during delays. What we perceive to be an 8 hour duty day on paper can turn into an 11 1/2 hour duty day with no additional pay. There are certain duty day maximum numbers that kick in extra pay, but not on an average day.
How are unexpected diversions handled? I would hope that you guys are paid for the entire time of the diversion and not just flying time.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:44 pm

Not to troll but.... I'm salaried in a different profession, travel and don't receive comp time. If someone wants an hourly job with a clock they should absolutely follow their dream and go for it. The labor laws are designed for 16 year olds working at fast food restaurants.

Especially in this economy, I know of airline employees that would love a SoCal to Hawaii route.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by chuckworth
How are unexpected diversions handled? I would hope that you guys are paid for the entire time of the diversion and not just flying time.
Yep, only while in the air unless we cross the maximum duty day outlined in the contract do we receive extra pay for that time. Our duty is only while flying so anytime the plane lands the clock stops on our pay.

Coming from a corp world it was hard for me to wrap my head around this, but being in the biz awhile I understand it although I don't necessarily agree with it - but again - we are only paid while the doors are shut unless it crosses the magic 'duty day' max outlined in our contract.

When folks want to say we (FA's) are asking for "more" in our contract negotiations that's their perception from a real world corporate job. Typically we are asking for less gray area in the contract and more black and white language.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Gold
I'm really hoping service starts before 2014. Gotta put my CP to good use!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.