Wiki Posts
Search

Flights Cut from the released schedule?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW RR
Flights Cut from the released schedule?

I have been told and have read that that once SW puts out their schedule, there is very very rarely any changes. Anyway they just cut about 5 flights out of Cleveland to Las Vegas for 3/20/13.

Once SW opened up their schedule through 4/12/13, I've been watching flights for my Vegas trip in March. I'm waiting for a sale and just have been checking fares everyday. Anyway, I checked today and I see that there are now only 4 flights listed for 3/20. I know there were at least 8 or 9 flights out of Cleveland previously. Now there are only 4. The one that I was planning on booking is no longer even listed.

I guess they do change their schedules.

Does it ever work the other way? Adding flights? I would love for them to add a nonstop one to Vegas on 3/20. Wishful thinking???
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: SPG Platnium, SWA A+, CP
I wouldn't plan on it. Why dont you book now and if the prices go down you can rebook at the lower fare?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW RR
False alarm. Looks like those 5 other flights are back. I must have ran the schedule at exactly the right time that SW was doing an update or something.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by vegaslover8
False alarm. Looks like those 5 other flights are back. I must have ran the schedule at exactly the right time that SW was doing an update or something.
Not sure what you saw...

if the routes were all going through one airport (say MDW) but not the other (BWI) then it was likely some data entry error that came up.

Southwest frequently changes their schedules and the number of flights between cities.

A common practice is having season nonstop flights between two cities.

For example where I live in Seattle from around late April/early May-early October they run a direct SEA-BNA daily then in the rest of the year the route has a stop in either STL, MCI, or DEN.

Another common change is with a route where you dont change planes say in MDW to one that you do change planes. Another route I frequently flew was a BUF-SEA via MDW. Some seasons the route has no plane change stop in MDW and other times you have to change planes.

I am actually surprised there isnt a direct/nonstop between CLE and LAS.

Also during different seasons you have a different number of flights. Part of the problem is with their scheduling where they dont necessarily create all possible connection flights that you can book. I have seen connections in MDW that I could do booking separately but they dont show in the system even though the layover is a reasonable 45 minutes.

I got rebooked on one of these flights one time when my flight was delayed going through DEN so id miss the connection. There was a different route not on the market that had me go through PHX that had a 40 min layover.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:24 pm

There are seasonal chanages announced much in advance on the schedule extension dates; it has been reported that once flights are bookable for a certain date, they rarely change. Changes have come up recently, as I've reported before. Three of us were booked on a 6 a.m. BOS-MDW flight for January 2013, and then we were to connect to separate flights. We got calls that the flight was removed from the schedule and we were given other bookings.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:16 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by vegaslover8
Exactly. I've seen it couple of times. It's weird. Perhaps other airlines make their flights vanish (as opposed to showing zero availability) during updates, but I haven't heard of it.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Most airlines run their schedule updates overnight Friday night or Saturday night. Unless you're a dedicated FT'er, you miss most of the "weirdness" because it's being done in the middle of the night on the weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.