Marriott GC Promo - Up to 12,000 RR Points

Old Sep 18, 2012, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by dbyerman
I'm confused on this. The terms and conditions say: "Marriott Rewards points will not be earned with the purchase of the GiftCards." Do they?
Message #20 above from Chuck confirms it does count as a Marriott purchase for the Marriott Credit Card.

Haven't seen these two questions addressed: can the cards be purchased in two separate transactions of $500 apiece, spaced a month or two apart? Also: the fine print says this is a limited time promotion based on availability - in the past, have they "run out" of points to give away under this promotion (i.e. will this end prematurely before their announced 11/30 closing date?)
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
In for $500, which will cover my next four one-night stays to earn two Megabonus Cat 4 nights. 6k WN points will cover a one-way from MDW to the Carolinas during the eventual spring distance-based $99 fare sale.

Marriott keeps on giving me reasons to give them stays I would normally allocate to Hilton. Result: going from HH Gold/MR nothing to HH Silver/MR Silver.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Marriott keeps on giving me reasons to give them stays I would normally allocate to Hilton. Result: going from HH Gold/MR nothing to HH Silver/MR Silver.
Ha! If this were posted on the Marriott board it would probably be the exact opposite!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Result: going from HH Gold/MR nothing to HH Silver/MR Silver.
Get the new Citi HH Reserve card for $95 a year and you'll have Gold as long as you hold it.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Just confirmed that buying the Marriott GCs with the Southwest card does result in 2X points on the SW card since Marriott is a partner.

Used the cards at a couple different Marriotts this weekend with no issues. Great deal.

Last edited by Majikow; Sep 26, 2012 at 7:41 pm Reason: grammar
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Addicted69
Even for ppl who do not have the Marriott credit card, they can use the chase freedom card during the next 5% quarterly bonus( oct- dec) on the hotels and airlines and get 5000+ UR points( even more with checking account combo) for 1000 gift card and then if you have the chase sapphire preferred card or Ink you can transfer them to southwest for 5000 RR points...so technically you can get 12000 + 5000 = 17,000+ SW RR points for purchasing the 1000 Marriott GC ( Not bad I say)
I was thinking of doing the same - using the freedom card for the 5% UR points.

But I noticed that the 5% bonus is for "hotel rooms booked directly with the
hotel". Anyone know how these purchases will be coded by Marriott & Chase ?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Anyone know if this is only for first purchase? I purchased already once and got an email from Southwest today with this offer. I don't see anywhere in the terms - limit one per customer.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by virtuo0
Anyone know if this is only for first purchase? I purchased already once and got an email from Southwest today with this offer. I don't see anywhere in the terms - limit one per customer.
Not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that I saw that the only limitation is that you can only buy up to $1000 worth of gift cards total. Doesn't matter how many different purchases.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
I also got the second e-mail and this is spelled out:

Now through November 30, 2012, you can earn up to 12,000 Rapid Rewards Points when you purchase Marriott GiftCards!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:48 am

Can anyone tell me how often in a given year or in the past Southwest & Marriott have this promo? I have purchased the max $1000 for this offer ending in Nov, but I will use these GC's up by January, and I have a need for more, but I am willing to hold out if this offer comes up on a regular basis. Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by ryoung08
Can anyone tell me how often in a given year or in the past Southwest & Marriott have this promo? I have purchased the max $1000 for this offer ending in Nov, but I will use these GC's up by January, and I have a need for more, but I am willing to hold out if this offer comes up on a regular basis. Thanks
I think only once per year but hope I am wrong, Marriott used to do this tie-in with Delta yearly going back a few, something like 10% off face and a few useless Delta miles.

BTW bought the max on Friday and 12,000 pts posted the next day. Don't even have the cards yet!!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Originally Posted by joshua362
I think only once per year but hope I am wrong, Marriott used to do this tie-in with Delta yearly going back a few, something like 10% off face and a few useless Delta miles.

BTW bought the max on Friday and 12,000 pts posted the next day. Don't even have the cards yet!!
This promo was offered only once in 2011 and now once in 2012. Both years it has been offered in the fall.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:58 pm

bought one for $500.00 today. Nice promo!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Points posted in a week. Good turnarounf
Old Oct 14, 2012, 3:48 pm

1200 SW and 500 UR points posted. Nice promo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.