Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New 737-800 aircraft seats = reduced recline, hope they change their minds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 737-800 aircraft seats = reduced recline, hope they change their minds

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
If you can detect or suspect that the pax in front of you is about to recline, I have found that firmly pushing on the seatback will keep it from reclining, and the pax will quit trying after a few attempts. Shame on me.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
I've also found the overhead air diffuser to be an effective weapon against the unwelcome recliner.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:32 pm

I'm with the OP on this one. At some point during a long flight, you almost have to recline. Sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. Your spine has to be in different position from time to time (think of tossing and turning when sleeping in your own bed), otherwise, you are gonna hurt after the flight. Having the recline only helps in that effort. You just need to be considerate with others around you...
Old Aug 7, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Mellonc
I'm with the OP on this one.... Having the recline only helps in that effort. You just need to be considerate with others around you...
And that consideration is you do not need to recline a full 3 inches into the person behind you.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:45 pm
Suspended

No way is Southwest going to "change their minds."

That being said....everyone should feel free to recline their seat to their heart's content. I love the folks here that get all worked up about the recline issue. I doubt the seat-pusher would push on MY seat if he saw me.

Believe it.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
And that consideration is you do not need to recline a full 3 inches into the person behind you.
actually I simply ask. If they are doing something on their laptop or something, I don't recline so much. But if there is no one behind me, I stretch out. Isn't that the whole point? Having options?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:48 pm

While I've become pretty good at "profiling" the type of passenger that will or will not recline in front of me, when I pick my seat, I commend Southwest for helping to (almost) eliminate this practice. It is simply not possible to recline w/o making the person behind you uncomfortable. So let's stop that practice.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:47 pm

I recline to my heart's desire. FT is full of a bunch of whiners.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:55 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by qwertyasdfghzxcvbn
FT is full of a bunch of whiners.
Oh, no! You've discovered our secret!

What was your first clue?

Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:51 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I do not recline as I consider it more uncomfortable. I also do not like for people to recline and restrict the room that I have. However, I have accepted that the recline position is the option of the recliner and that it is one of life's little irritations that I have learned to accept. After all, if it were my option and control, the little button would be on the back of the seat and the recliner would have to ask my permission to recline. They get the control and they get to use it.

However, the back of the seat is mine, including the tray table, and reclining may restrict its use. It is a non-resolvable conflict. Someone must lose. Since I have no control over the recline, then I guess I lose.

I absolutely draw the line when the person in front of me invades the space between me and the seat back in front of me. I have have had people with long hair throw their hair over the back of the seat. I have had people stretch their arms behind their head and let their hands hang behind the headrest. I have had people hang their jackets and sweaters over the seat so that they drape over my tray table. First they get a nice request. That usually works. If not, more aggressive tactics may be needed including involving the FA.

Bottom line, for me the new interior just went up a notch on my opinion scale if the recline has been reduced or nearly eliminated.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by thomasj
I doubt the seat-pusher would push on MY seat if he saw me. Believe it.
LOL...reminds me of Elmer Fudd. "I'm gonna get that cwazy seat-recwining wabbit..."
Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: WN A+ & CP, Hyatt Diamond
Most people that recline are infrequent travelers and don't know any better. If you are a frequent flyer and still have so little courtesy for your fellow passenger that the extra comfort you get from moving your seat 3 inches is worth making another person miserable and unable to work, then you, by definition, are a douche.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by WNcheapo
don't know any better
Ha! I suggest you subscribe to Ink's philosophy above. And if you can't work because the person in front of you reclined their seat, then you brought the wrong tool to do your job.

And welcome to FlyerTalk, but based on your first post I think you may have forgotten the "hi" and "ing" from your username.

Last edited by qwertyasdfghzxcvbn; Aug 10, 2012 at 10:24 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 10, 2012, 7:25 pm

I generally consider people who fully recline (without asking first -- although I must say I've never once had anyone ask) to be inconsiderate at best, jerks at worst. The space in a plane is already tight for everyone; all reclining does is make it worse for the person behind you. More than once I've had the screen of my laptop (a tiny 11" Macbook Air) crunched by someone slamming their seat back as soon as we reached 10,000 feet.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ursine1
I generally consider people who fully recline (without asking first -- although I must say I've never once had anyone ask) to be inconsiderate at best, jerks at worst. The space in a plane is already tight for everyone; all reclining does is make it worse for the person behind you. More than once I've had the screen of my laptop (a tiny 11" Macbook Air) crunched by someone slamming their seat back as soon as we reached 10,000 feet.
Slightly OT, but how come your laptop was open (more than once, apparently) before your aircraft reached 10k feet? Isn't that against FAA regs? Got to be above 10k before the device is opened, no?

That said, I'm with you. Gradual, limited recline, if at all, to avoid all of the above is what I would subscribe to...if I ever chose (or more likely, was compelled) to fly WN since RR went to the dogs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.