Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel a Southwest flight booked with Rapid Rewards points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

If I'm reading the FAQs correctly, when you cancel a WGA flight booked with a credit card, your refund is in the form of credit that can be used for a future flight within 1 year from the date of the original booking. But when you cancel a flight booked with points, the points get refunded to your account with no stipulation that they have to be used in a year. Is that true? If so, isn't it always better to book a flight with points?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nessie123
If I'm reading the FAQs correctly, when you cancel a WGA flight booked with a credit card, your refund is in the form of credit that can be used for a future flight within 1 year from the date of the original booking. But when you cancel a flight booked with points, the points get refunded to your account with no stipulation that they have to be used in a year. Is that true? If so, isn't it always better to book a flight with points?
It is true. If your travel is reimbursed, cash may be better. Otherwise, you are correct.

Exception! If you are building points toward A-List or CP, the points purchase does not help.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:39 am

Also you can't use a coupon to reduce the number of points needed for a flight. If you have a coupon code it's likely better to use money.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 5:03 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by nessie123
If you have an unlimited number of points, sure. If, on on the other hand, you're not magical, and your points are finite, then obviously it makes sense to use points for the flights that are most likely to change, and cash for the flights that are least likely to change.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
It also often makes sense for one member of a family (or extended family) to accrue the paid flights and to use the resultant points for others who don't fly as much.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Platinum, National EC
I'm new to Southwest and would just like to confirm that points on cancelled award trips are simply redeposited back into your RR account, right?

Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by tryanjordan
I'm new to Southwest and would just like to confirm that points on cancelled award trips are simply redeposited back into your RR account, right?

Thanks!
Yes.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:55 pm

Is this true if you booked a low (Wanna get away) award and cancelled on the day of departure?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by xooz
Is this true if you booked a low (Wanna get away) award and cancelled on the day of departure?
For now, Yes.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steved5480
For now, Yes.
As long as you cancel 10 minutes or more ahead.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
As long as you cancel 10 minutes or more ahead.
For paid flights it's cancel it or lose the funds, but is this now the case for travel using points?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by texashoser
For paid flights it's cancel it or lose the funds, but is this now the case for travel using points?
Not last I heard.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Not last I heard.
OK. I think the person you were responding too was asking what happened if you cancelled a points booking that was made for a WGA fare - that's why I asked.

If that's the case, then yes, the points just go back into your account even if you don't cancel.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:29 pm

Thanks all... was considering a award flight that was a low award. Since the paid fare itself must be cancelled before the day of flight I thought that an award stay in the same fare classification might have the same restriction.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by xooz
Thanks all... was considering a award flight that was a low award. Since the paid fare itself must be cancelled before the day of flight I thought that an award stay in the same fare classification might have the same restriction.
I am ashamed to admit that I distractedly failed to cancel an unneeded award booking recently. The points went back into my account automatically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.