Wiki Posts
Search

drink coupons and using someone elses

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
drink coupons and using someone elses

I notice theres names now on the drink coupons and I am sure there not traferable is that a strict rule?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:16 pm

As long as it has an expiration date that has not yet passed you should have no problem. I've never see an FA check the name.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:06 pm

Same with BS drink coupons. I give mine away on some flights and the FA don't care.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Thanks for the replies
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I've used them to pay for a drink for my seatmate. I've pulled them out of my pocket, handed both to the FA, and said, "I'll get that." Never been a problem.

I had a one way on Monday that the check in agent printed the BP out wrong and I got two BS coupons. When I did a sanitizer squirt on the way to the gate I totally messed up the BP so I got another BP at the gate and got another coupon. Three coupons for a 2 hour flight. Too heavy for me, so I took the 3rd and stuck it in the drink menu with only the words "FREE DRINK COUPON" showing. I hope somebody on the next flight saw it.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
I had the gate agent ask me if I wanted a drink and handed me a BS coupon.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
...I took the 3rd and stuck it in the drink menu with only the words "FREE DRINK COUPON" showing. I hope somebody on the next flight saw it.
I'd just hand it to the FA and have them use it. I do that all the time with my BS coupons.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I'd just hand it to the FA and have them use it. I do that all the time with my BS coupons.
I do not trust them. I did this with some expiring beige tickets and saw her scanning credit cards in the row behind mine, my little coupons still in her hand.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
I do not trust them. I did this with some expiring beige tickets and saw her scanning credit cards in the row behind mine, my little coupons still in her hand.
You saw her did this, said nothing to her at the time, but posted what she did here on FT instead.

Hmmm.... lol
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TSparky
I had the gate agent ask me if I wanted a drink and handed me a BS coupon.
Has anyone outright asked an agent for a drink coupon or two and been surprisingly obliged?

Just wondering if this has worked ever? I have a few upcoming flights that I'd like to try this on.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by SDCA
You saw her did this, said nothing to her at the time, but posted what she did here on FT instead.

Hmmm.... lol
This happened a long time ago, I said nothing about it at the the time, and I considered it a single data point of little or no importance. It was posted now as we were discussing the use of unusable coupons and it seemed appropriate to point out that I have found one instance where they did not pass along my generosity and that I was distrustful that coupons passed along to FA's would get used. At the time I guessed that there may be an unknown policy to accept the coupons politely and then just dispose of them. It makes sense from a cash flow perspective but maybe not from a customer service one.

I admit that I could have used better wording in my statement. Let's try this:

I wonder sometimes if they really pass them on. I did this with some expiring beige tickets and saw her scanning credit cards in the row behind mine, my little coupons still in her hand. Maybe she was waiting for a better opportunity or maybe there is a policy about using passed along coupons. I do not know, but I decided that if I wanted to make sure they were used, I would give them away myself.
(Footnote of some importance that you have no way of knowing. I am hearing impaired and communicating with someone in my row is difficult. To make an issue by starting a discussion with someone behind me would have been impossible and did not enter my mind.)
Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
This happened a long time ago, I said nothing about it at the the time, and I considered it a single data point of little or no importance. It was posted now as we were discussing the use of unusable coupons and it seemed appropriate to point out that I have found one instance where they did not pass along my generosity and that I was distrustful that coupons passed along to FA's would get used. At the time I guessed that there may be an unknown policy to accept the coupons politely and then just dispose of them. It makes sense from a cash flow perspective but maybe not from a customer service one.

I admit that I could have used better wording in my statement. Let's try this:

(Footnote of some importance that you have no way of knowing. I am hearing impaired and communicating with someone in my row is difficult. To make an issue by starting a discussion with someone behind me would have been impossible and did not enter my mind.)

^
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:06 pm

on a related note, has anyone had any luck using the drink coupons from the old RR program? i haven't flown WN in 2 years and I have 8 of these old drink coupons.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
I have seen flight attendants decline the old drink coupons on more than one occasion. They make pretty firm announcements that the old coupons without an expiration date are no longer valid. YMMV.

I had around 115-120 of those old coupons and bought the entire plane drinks (as far as the coupons went) about a month before they changed the policy. The lead FA was willing to use them and even made an announcement about it. Three or four passengers took the time to say thank you to me as they got off the plane.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by odom4president
on a related note, has anyone had any luck using the drink coupons from the old RR program? i haven't flown WN in 2 years and I have 8 of these old drink coupons.
I think that those are a definite no go. They have been pretty firm about no longer accepting them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.