Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage at DAL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Luggage at DAL

I'm planning a trip and would need to get to DAL.
I was wondering how long one would typically wait for luggage here?

I don't have status or anything on SW but would use them as a positioning flight.
I would get into DAL about 90 minutes before my next flight leaves and need to check luggage that can't be interlined, afaik.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
Now that storms have settled down around DFW you will be tight but make it.

Baggage waits have grown enormous for certain time slots at DAL. I waited a full hour in Feb for one bag on a Friday afternoon. Got so bad that I called customer service and complained.

A bit risky if there are crowds. With status you could easily do it on your outbound flight.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Texas Booster
Now that storms have settled down around DFW you will be tight but make it.

Baggage waits have grown enormous for certain time slots at DAL. I waited a full hour in Feb for one bag on a Friday afternoon. Got so bad that I called customer service and complained.

A bit risky if there are crowds. With status you could easily do it on your outbound flight.
Timewise, I'd be getting in around 8:30AM.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: none
Won't be a problem with 90 minute connecting time as listed. DAL is small enough that you should be able to walk slowly between the two most distant gates. (Look at an airport diagram if you wish) Even if your inbound flight is 30 minutes late, and even if your bags take 30 minutes to arrive, you still have a half hour to spare.

It's OK to be concerned about your connection. Without knowing the other airline involved, time of day or day of the week, these tips are just generalities, use whatever ones that fit your specific situation.

On the day of the flight, check WN for delays on your flight into DAL. If it's going to be late enough, they will allow you to standby for an earlier flight. (Just make sure you're not taken off your original flight when you standby the earlier one.) If you're already on the first flight of the day, you're in luck because the first flight normally doesn't get delayed that much. If your first flight is NOT delayed, then relax, you have nothing to worry about in the first place.

If possible, pack so that you don't have to check a bag - at least for the WN leg. If you don't have to do a bag check on WN, you'll save time there.

If time is going to be a crunch and you don't check bags, try to sit closer to the front, a middle if necessary. If you DO have to check bags, sit anywhere you like because you'll have to leave security to retrieve them anyway.

If possible, save some more time by alerting your second airline in person when you land that you are in DAL, waiting for your bag, and running late. Maybe they can speed up the process, maybe not. Doesn't hurt to ask. Then you can go back to WN baggage claim and get your bag and go back to the check-in (now they remember you from a few minutes ago) and be on your way. If your bag comes quick and there's not enough time to go to the other counter and back, then re-read the sentence above about "nothing to worry about".

You can't make your WN flight be on time or be late, you can't change the layout of the airport, and you can't change which gates you arrive at and depart. So stick to those things you CAN affect, relax, have a good flight.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
In a perfect situation you might make it.

So loaded with possible failures. Crew rest, Mechanical, Weather while the other carrier may go ontime.

As a positioning flight a long overnight (same flight previous day) might be the best option. Other carrier may do little for you if you miss your flight or it could mean standby for days.

What is your final destination that WN doesn't fly? Wouldn't be the first time I've seen confusion between DAL and DFW, both Dallas airports.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
The only non WN flight that leaves DAL in the time frame you refer to is Delta to ATL. How much money are you saving by this rather than Delta non-stop from your original city? Just doesn't seem to be worth the potential hassle and stress unless it is quite a savings.

Are you sure that your next flight leaves from DAL and not DFW?

Last edited by lougord99; Jun 2, 2015 at 3:58 am
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
The only non WN flight that leaves DAL in the time frame you refer to is Delta to ATL. How much money are you saving by this rather than Delta non-stop from your original city? Just doesn't seem to be worth the potential hassle and stress unless it is quite a savings.

Agreed or just take WN all the way. I believe WN flys to pretty much all the cities Virgin or Delta do. If this is not in the near future, make sure your not leaving DFW as DL gate space is suspect in the future
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99

Flying DL overseas, saving about 800$ by taking WN from DAL vs originating in DEN on DL.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:07 pm

International travel is banned from DAL. It sounds like you are confusing DAL and DFW.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by hat attack
International travel is banned from DAL. It sounds like you are confusing DAL and DFW.

Yes I think if he wants to save that much he needs to fly to DAL the night before and get a hotel near DFW
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by dimramon
Flying DL overseas, saving about 800$ by taking WN from DAL vs originating in DEN on DL.
$800 savings would pay for an overnight and probably avert a problem. If it's a DL flight connecting elsewhere.

I'd fly the first flight of the day to DAL the day prior. WN will do their best to get you there.

DL won't cover you if you don't show. Or book DL all the way.. That puts problems with connections on them.

Last edited by traveller001; Jun 6, 2015 at 11:50 pm
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by dimramon
You mean taking DL out of DAL vs. DEN... Are you sure that DL flight is leaving from DAL not DFW?

If you are actually taking DL out of DAL, 90 minutes is too close. Even if on time, it's going to take about 30 minutes to get your bags and then make it back to the DL counter - that gives you 60 minutes, if the WN flight is on time. WN has a 45-minute baggage policy where if you check bags later than 45 minutes before your flight, they don't guarantee them to be on that flight. You need to check with DL regarding their baggage policy, especially their international baggage policy. DAL would be your first leg of the international trip and thus would be subject to international check-in times, etc.

As others have said, it's not worth having your bags not make it. Go the night before and spend $100 on a hotel. You're still saving $700.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL also requires that bags be checked by T-45. On a 90-minute transfer as this is not a connection, OP must plan 45 minutes to retrieve his bags and that means he will miss the check-in deadline.

Put simply, OP will need to plan on purchasing a new DL ticket as he will almost certainly miss the cut off.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by texashoser
You mean taking DL out of DAL vs. DEN... Are you sure that DL flight is leaving from DAL not DFW?

It should also be noted here that after July 6 it gets really iffy on whether Delta will still even be in DAL as there is a brewing battle between Southwest, Virgin, and Delta concerning gates. It's not inconceivable that Delta will suddenly get kicked out of DAL and you will have to be accommodated at DFW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.