FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Transferring Marriott Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1355014-transferring-marriott-points.html)

Jennswim77 Jun 9, 2012 11:33 pm

Transferring Marriott Points

Has anyone been successful in getting points transferred from another persons Marriott to yours then converting those points to SW Points? In a nutshell my dad has a good amount of marriot points he doesn't need and I would like to have them then transfer to my RR :cool:

lougord99 Jun 10, 2012 6:09 am

I don't believe you can transfer points from a Marriott account to another:

Points can only be transferred from one account to another at the time of ordering a reward in increments of 1,000 points. To do this, a point transfer form must be requested from the Marriott Rewards customer service office. Include both account numbers on the form, the number of points to be transferred and the reward to be requested. Return the form with the signature of both account holders. When you’ve completed the form, please fax it to 801-468-4033 and the points will be transferred and the reward issued.
However, that is not necessary since if your Dad had a lot of WN points, he could use them to purchase you tickets.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no direct way for your Dad to transfer his Marriott points to Southwest. There are indirect ways, but those are usually at bad transfer rates.

QueenDoOver Jun 11, 2012 11:36 am

I did this with my husband. I called customer service and told them I wanted to transfer 30,000 Marriot rewards to my spouse so that he could transfer that to 10,0000 SW points, which got him to Companion Pass Status.

They mailed me the form, we signed it, and sent it in. Once they received the form it took 48 hours and then the points were in the SW account. From phone call to points received was a one week process. It would be faster if you used a fax machine.

Obviously the conversion rate is not that great, but was worth it for CP.

Not sure if this is only available to legal spouse or to any two Marriott reward members.

Good Luck!

lougord99 Jun 11, 2012 2:45 pm

How did you make the Marriott to Southwest transfer? I have not seen that on the Marriott website.

QueenDoOver Jun 11, 2012 11:04 pm

When you log onto Marriott Rewards, and click on USE rewards, there is a link that says convert to airline miles towards bottom on left hand side. Hope that helps.

Boraxo Jun 17, 2012 1:24 am

It is possible to transfer MR points directly to someone else's RR account as long as the recipient has the same last name. MR only requires the RR destination account #

SIN1K Jun 24, 2012 11:55 am

Great question Boraxo. Who knows this answer?

hhoope01 Jun 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 18769854)
It is possible to transfer MR points directly to someone else's RR account as long as the recipient has the same last name. MR only requires the RR destination account #

While Marriott's T&Cs state that points can only be transfered between spouse accounts, in practice (and this has been confirmed by Marriott Concierge)one can combine points from any other account.

So with that, it should be possible to transfer the points from your account to anyone's you choose and then they can initiate the Marriott to Southwest transfer.

Boraxo Jun 24, 2012 10:47 pm

It wasn't a question - it can be done.

fstop75 Jun 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 18814850)
It wasn't a question - it can be done.

I second this as I transferred points from my wife's Marriott account to my RR account.

vmsea Sep 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 18813016)
While Marriott's T&Cs state that points can only be transfered between spouse accounts, in practice (and this has been confirmed by Marriott Concierge)one can combine points from any other account.

How?

FindAWay Sep 26, 2012 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by vmsea (Post 19390320)

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 18813016)

How?

Thread: Point transfer - Most ridiculus procedure ever

SkyTeam777 Jan 19, 2013 9:15 am

Is it mandatory that the award must be booked already before the transfer occurs? Or can you just say that you are planning an award booking, but waiting for the points to transfer first?

FindAWay Jan 19, 2013 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 20081790)
Is it mandatory that the award must be booked already before the transfer occurs?

Yes - for a Marriott points transfer between Marriott accounts, an award must be booked either prior to or simultaneously with the points transfer.

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 20081790)
Or can you just say that you are planning an award booking, but waiting for the points to transfer first?

No. But, you can do a points booking and then cancel it and all of the points will be in the transferee's account. Also, you can redeem for a travel package without a specific reservation - you get a sort-of e-certificate. The transferor can also transfer (in 1,000 point increments) up to the total number points needed for the redemption.

For Marriott-->WN Rapid Rewards, no booking is needed.

crazypalooza Mar 12, 2014 11:57 am

Just to update the thread: I was able to xfer between spouses to then xfer to southwest without any problem.