Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Irregular Ops RNO-LAS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Irregular Ops RNO-LAS

I am new to SW, and I foolishly booked the last scheduled flight out this evening. Flt 3330 at 2155h. Now showing 0055 tomorrow morning. Experienced SW flyers was wondering how likely is that it will be canceled? I really need to be in LV tomorrow morning. Thanks for any thoughts!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SOMA1K
I am new to SW, and I foolishly booked the last scheduled flight out this evening. Flt 3330 at 2155h. Now showing 0055 tomorrow morning. Experienced SW flyers was wondering how likely is that it will be canceled? I really need to be in LV tomorrow morning. Thanks for any thoughts!
As a recently reformed 7 year UA 1K/turned A-lister, this is one this that worries me with WN: IRROPS.
There are no interline agreements, and no matter how far up the list I am with WN, if I can't get out on them, I'm stuck (unless I buy on someone else).
I wish I had a good word for you other than checking OA. Sorry. :-/
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by SOMA1K
The short answer to your original question is "Not Likely".

Southwest generally does most everything they can reasonably do to operate the last trip of the day (night), even if it's majorly delayed like your flight. They need the aircraft and crew in the planned overnight city so as to start the system out the next day "intact".

It appears that your aircraft may be operating as flight #248 SAN-LAS-RNO, turning back out RNO-LAS as #3330. While LAS is Southwest's 2nd-busiest operation, RNO is a relatively small out-station. Having the crew time-out and not having a backup crew available in RNO (at that hour) would/will be a problem. Obviously, there are no absolute guarantees. The good news is their dispatch/crew scheduling IT folks haven't yet met the mentally challenged fools that run the public web site. Please report back if/when you have time and let us know the outcome.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. Makes sense that they would want the equipment in LAS in the morning. Hopefully crew will still be legal or that they will have changed them in LAS for the flight up. Will let you know.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480
They need the aircraft and crew in the planned overnight city so as to start the system out the next day "intact".
Additionally, with LAS now a crew base, it's also likely that the RNO-LAS flight is the last of the crew's multi-day schedule.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
You will more than likely go out, eventually. I went to MSY about a year ago and an afternoon storm rolled through HOU causing all the MSY-HOU flights to be delayed by about 6 to 10 hours after schedule. Despite the massive delay all remaining flights (4?) did eventually operate that evening/early morning.

The flights basically became first come first serve regardless of booking as so many people had abandoned their itinerary and either hit I-10 or had headed back to Bourbon St.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:30 pm
Suspended

It's a 3 hour delay..but couldn't you drive to LAS in roughly that time?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by pinworm
Total Travel Estimate: 7 hours 14 minutes / 448.50 miles

The aircraft is currently boarding in LAS and estimated to depart at 11:10 pm, arr RNO at 12:25 am.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:22 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pinworm
It's only a 2 lane highway between Reno and Vegas, it can take 7-8 hours as mentioned above.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by JerryFF
The aircraft is currently boarding in LAS and estimated to depart at 11:10 pm, arr RNO at 12:25 am.
FlightAware reported it pushing back at 12:28am.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA3330
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:19 am

countless times I've seen the last FLL-TPA or FLL-JAX flight leave at about 1 AM in IRROPS. The weird thing is that much like this scenario, the FLL-TPA did a PHL-TPA-FLL-TPA turn, so it seems pointless to run the flight, but they did despite the delay. As mentioned above, Southwest does everything in their power to run as many flights as they can, whether its at 8pm or 2am. They sometimes run "red-eyes" just to get the planes back in order for the morning (remember, unlike other airlines, they have two "shifts" of crews, so if a plane gets in at 5am and leaves at 6am, a different crew would run it anyway). I give em credit, but I know I wouldn't want to be delayed 5 hours on a FLL-TPA flight! (or RNO-LAS)
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by jco613
...but I know I wouldn't want to be delayed 5 hours on a FLL-TPA flight! (or RNO-LAS)
Obviously, nobody would, but when a weather event whacks a major airport, the aftermath of severely delayed flights often presents the only options of running it late, or not at all. The classic case of the lesser of two evils...
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:44 am

Is it known the OPs flight delay (3330) was weather?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Is it known the OPs flight delay (3330) was weather?
No, it's not known, and my mentioning weather wasn't intended to be to the exclusion of other potential delay-causing items. In basic terms relative to the OP's general situation, a delay is a delay, no matter what the reason, and the bottomline is that it still sometimes can come down to running a flight really delayed, or not at all.

Cheers...
Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I know there was a ground stop for awhile at LAS last night due to AF1. Could that perhaps have been it?

Last edited by wrp96; Jun 8, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.