Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Award for the most offensive seatmate goes to . . .

Old May 28, 2012, 11:57 am
Original Poster

I was on a three hour SWA flight, on a completely full plane, in a bulkhead window seat.

Aisle seat was a 40ish man, with his teenage son in the middle seat next to me.

Nothing to alert me before takeoff that it might be wise to change seats.

Immediately after takeoff, the aisle seater takes out his tin of Skoal.

Three hours and about two plastic drink cups of horrible, foul smelling brown liquid this guy produced, and I thought I was going to vomit from the stench, not to mention getting a crick in my neck from turning sideways in my seat to avoid eye contact.

Most amazing was the FA who took the filled cups of brown spit from this guy without flinching. . .

Why, oh why, is that tobacco crap allowed to be used in flight!?
Old May 28, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.

That is disgusting
Old May 28, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Originally Posted by Amicus
I was on a three hour SWA flight, on a completely full plane, in a bulkhead window seat.

Three hours and about two plastic drink cups of horrible, foul smelling brown liquid this guy produced, and I thought I was going to vomit from the stench, not to mention getting a crick in my neck from turning sideways in my seat to avoid eye contact.

Most amazing was the FA who took the filled cups of brown spit from this guy without flinching. . .

I assume there is no rule against spitting tobacco in a cup? I am so sorry you had to sit through that. I can't imagine what that would have been like. How can people be so incredibly inconsiderate? Never ceases to amaze me.
Old May 28, 2012, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boeing727
I assume there is no rule against spitting tobacco in a cup? I am so sorry you had to sit through that. I can't imagine what that would have been like. How can people be so incredibly inconsiderate? Never ceases to amaze me.
I genuinely felt sorry for the FA, and why she didn't put on the disposable plastic gloves to pick up the cups of spit. EWWW
Old May 28, 2012, 10:14 pm

Just be thankful smoking isn't allowed on flights anymore. I'd likely not travel by plane anywhere if that was the case.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:55 am

You should have asked him to stop. If he would have refused, then do something as equally offensive to him. Don't just sit there and take it...
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I thought the use of all tobacco products was banned on American flights by the FAA. Is that incorrect?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
On the other hand, they ban people from flights because their clothing is "inappropriate" or their T-shirt has a slogan that offends a FA. It's pretty clear which is more offensive. Someone needs to get their priorities straight.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SomeGuy
I thought the use of all tobacco products was banned on American flights by the FAA. Is that incorrect?
If this is accurate, then it is news to SWA, as none of the three flight attendants cared, and the guy using the Skoal was using it in full view, seated in the aisle bulkhead seat.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JerryFF
On the other hand, they ban people from flights because their clothing is "inappropriate" or their T-shirt has a slogan that offends a FA. It's pretty clear which is more offensive. Someone needs to get their priorities straight.
Indeed. Isn't it SWA that banned a young woman last year for her uber-short skirt?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
You have my sympathy. Dip has to be the most disgusting of all the vices, at least in my opinion.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
You win.

Even the person next to me that was sick and kept snorting doesn't beat your seatmate.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue

If the vent works, did you open it and direct it away from you if it bothers you that much?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Indeed. Isn't it SWA that banned a young woman last year for her uber-short skirt?
No. It was almost 5 years ago. And she went on to pose for Playboy after the incident.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Originally Posted by JerryFF
I agree completely. Slogans might be offensive, a little too much skin might be offensive, but neither of those even come close to the tobacco spitting seat mate. There is offensive, and then there is gross, nasty and foul smelling. I will take the obscene T-short and/or the short skirt any day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.