Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Jerry, Your Trip is Just Around the Corner"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott

This is certainly not the most important issue in dealing with WN, but I find it annoying, especially in this age of sophisticated computer programming.

We've all seen this email from the airline, but the name on the email is always the first name of the credit cardholder who paid for the ticket, not the traveler. Why?

How much more difficult would be it to program this email with the name of the traveler instead?

BTW, I am still getting emails of the RR Report with someone else's name on it. I'm glad the folks who program these emails aren't the same ones programming the airline schedule and fares.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:29 pm

I do NOT need to be told about my upcoming trip. I booked it! I think it's a waste of time and always delete those emails.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
I could not agree more. 38 useless emails in my personal email account alone. I would hate to see how many I have in my work email account.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 5:06 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by jbdear
I could not agree more. 38 useless emails in my personal email account alone. I would hate to see how many I have in my work email account.
My "around the corner" trip is actual "twice around the block". It's 6 to 8 trips into the future. And since I have A+ status, I hardly need to be reminded to buy EBCI. Oh well.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by JerryFF

We've all seen this email from the airline, but the name on the email is always the first name of the credit cardholder who paid for the ticket, not the traveler. Why?

How much more difficult would be it to program this email with the name of the traveler instead?
BA does the same thing, FWIW. Not very sophisticated IMHO!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
You guys have it easy. I am a COS that is my own companion and we both get emails! Not only that, "we" only buy one ways so we get offers for things to do when we get home. UGH!

I would cancel emails, but then I would miss the occasional important one.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by nsx
My "around the corner" trip is actual "twice around the block". It's 6 to 8 trips into the future. And since I have A+ status, I hardly need to be reminded to buy EBCI. Oh well.
Same here. There seems to be no standard lead time for "around the corner."

OTOH, when I get a reminder from a rental car company, it reminds me to check to see if the rate has dropped. About 25% of the time, it has.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got such an email for a flight a full month from now. I had to open it to make sure they had not changed the booking on me or such, because I could not make sense of why they would be senidng me an "around the corner" email when I don't have any flight with them for another month!

I swear, they should come up with another title for this kind of email if they're going to send it out a month ahead of time. "Your Upconimg Trip" would not be as alarming as "Your Trip Is Just Around The Corner" when you have no trips you know of in the next few weeks!

(But even then, it's a trip a month away that I booked well over a month ago. So why any email for any reason about it right now??? I guess any email that I get so far from either the booking or the trip itself makes me scared that something about it has changed, and that's why they're notifying me. But no...)
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I just got such an email for a flight a full month from now. I had to open it to make sure they had not changed the booking on me or such, because I could not make sense of why they would be senidng me an "around the corner" email when I don't have any flight with them for another month!

I swear, they should come up with another title for this kind of email if they're going to send it out a month ahead of time. "Your Upconimg Trip" would not be as alarming as "Your Trip Is Just Around The Corner" when you have no trips you know of in the next few weeks!

(But even then, it's a trip a month away that I booked well over a month ago. So why any email for any reason about it right now??? I guess any email that I get so far from either the booking or the trip itself makes me scared that something about it has changed, and that's why they're notifying me. But no...)
How about : Your trip to XXX on {date}: {description of email content}

Examples:

Subject: Your trip to SLC on 5/11/12: Things you might want to do

Subject: Your trip to SLC tomorrow: Now available for check in

Subject: Your trip to SLC on 5/11/12: A lower price may be available due to fare sale

(Hee Hee, that last one made me laugh)
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1.4M, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Wink

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
How about : Your trip to XXX on {date}: {description of email content}

Examples:

Subject: Your trip to SLC on 5/11/12: Things you might want to do

Subject: Your trip to SLC tomorrow: Now available for check in

Subject: Your trip to SLC on 5/11/12: A lower price may be available due to fare sale

(Hee Hee, that last one made me laugh)
+1 - especially the last one!
I do not like the current email when the trip they say is 'right around the corner' is not the next corner.....
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
It took me about two minutes to create a Gmail filter that automatically archives those emails.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
It took me about two minutes to create a Gmail filter that automatically archives those emails.
Same here except I set mine to auto mark as read.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: WN RR
After they fix that, can they figure out how to stop sending me RR credit card offers? Don't they know that I already have the card? The postage costs that could be saved with three lines of code.....
Old Apr 20, 2012, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by mbd1mbd1
After they fix that, can they figure out how to stop sending me RR credit card offers? Don't they know that I already have the card? The postage costs that could be saved with three lines of code.....
I cancelled the personal card when I got the business card hoping for a churn in the future. I just thought, I do not get either any more. Hmmmm........
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since (as oten recommended here) I booked my award travel for a month from now as two separate one-ways, I now, a few days later, got yet another ueslessly-timed "your trip is just around the corner" email for the return trip.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 21, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.