Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Occupying Seats for Friends - Worse for Long Haul? Solution?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Occupying Seats for Friends - Worse for Long Haul? Solution?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
This is good to know.

Bad that it is the case, but good to know.

It allows the aggressive, rude, anti-social, me-only attitude folks to have their way without recourse while those of us that try to establish a fair and equitable process to be rebuffed in our attempts at such.

If this is the attitude on the aircraft, it explains a lot of the acceptance of line breakers, excessive pre-boarding and other shenanigans in the process leading up to getting on the plane.

I am what one would consider a loyal WN passenger, logging almost 50 RT's per year. This unwillingness to control the most basic functions of boarding procedure in a way that benefits and protects your the highest revenue generators gives truth to the persistent perception of the boarding free-for-all on WN. It is perceived to be that way because, in the final analysis, it is that way.

It also pushes me to look more seriously at what are now WN's equally priced competitors.
^ All GREAT points.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
WN cabin crew members can certainly do one thing: pass it up the food chain that this stupid no-policy policy is aggravating a lot of WN's important customer base. FOR NO REASON.

How hard would it be to institute the following policy?:

"You may save one middle seat behind the exit rows."

Simple. Problem solved, as those seats are universally considered below the median in desirability, thereby increasing the value of what's left. Literally no one would gripe. You can have that for free; no need to pay a focus group or consultant.

You talk all the time about your great customer service and how you LUV us. Now get busy and get this accomplished and prove it.

Originally Posted by DontCallMeShirley
you can save seats. period.

Does the cabin crew like it? no. But, cabin crew do NOT make the rules, so cabin crew cannot "back one up".

Adults must be adults and work it out.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
WN cabin crew members can certainly do one thing: pass it up the food chain that this stupid no-policy policy is aggravating a lot of WN's important customer base. FOR NO REASON.

How hard would it be to institute the following policy?:

Simple. Problem solved. Literally no one would gripe. You can have that for free; no need to pay a focus group or consultant.

You talk all the time about your great customer service and how you LUV us. Now get busy and get this accomplished and prove it.
^ GREAT policy that makes sense. Only time I could see that being an issue would be if a couple were boarding nad only two seats together happened to be that middle one being saved but the odds of that happening are VERY slim and if it did occur, it certinaly wouldn't be with someone paying for EBCI and the the person saving the seat would be following policy.

I think it would take a lot of nerve for a person saving an exit row or bulkhead to complain if an FA confronted them anyway. If I fly WN and line dragon turns me away for trying to enter the priority lane with my Delta card I don't complain even though I am not violating any policy at some airports I have been declined at (i.e. if the sign states different program members that can use the line but doesn't you have to be on THAT airline that day).
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:37 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
@:-)@:-)@:-)
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
This is good to know.

If this is the attitude on the aircraft, it explains a lot of the acceptance of line breakers, excessive pre-boarding and other shenanigans in the process leading up to getting on the plane.

It also pushes me to look more seriously at what are now WN's equally priced competitors.
Line breakers are violating the rules, whereas seat saving is not. Two totally different situations that should not be compared as far as attitude is concerned. Bottom line is cabin crew cannot tell someone they cannot save seats. It is not against the rules. If an agent allows line cutters, then you need to bring it to someones attention.

One always has the right to speak with a Customer Service Agent. That is what they are there for. To resolve problems.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:17 am

No one has a better chance to change a policy faster than a customer.

Taking it out on the wrong person won't help.

Do you really think cabin crew do not try and voice their opinions on matters? If your answer is NO, then think about this: Why would the crew want drama in the cabin from seat savers. It would be so much easier to say, I am sorry, seat saving is not allowed and get on with it.

Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No one has a better chance to change a policy faster than a customer.

Taking it out on the wrong person won't help.

Do you really think cabin crew do not try and voice their opinions on matters? If your answer is NO, then think about this: Why would the crew want drama in the cabin from seat savers. It would be so much easier to say, I am sorry, seat saving is not allowed and get on with it.
I think 10 cabin crew members telling their bosses they have heard this is a problem will get more attention than 10 assorted guys like me emailing in.

I definitely think that, by far.

Or perhaps you could post the contact info for someone at Customer Care who would actually listen to guys like me.

I am bewildered that this stupid "non-policy policy" of "sit anywhere with our fab open seating, but not if the seat is saved" persists. There is no reason whatever for it, especially now that WN is selling EBCI. All WN does is aggravate customers with this "stance."

A customer can do everything right, purchase a ticket early, pay for EBCI, and then some guy boarding just ahead of him "saves" the good seats for others. These annoying things can take on a life of their own and start to become more important than they actually are.

Well, I am EXP on AA now after the massive January TEQM offer, so maybe I'll just shift over there. You'll notice a number of other frequent posters here are doing the same.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:48 am

(redacted)

Last edited by DontCallMeShirley; Mar 21, 2012 at 4:10 pm
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I am EXP on AA now after the massive January TEQM offer, so maybe I'll just shift over there. You'll notice a number of other frequent posters here are doing the same.
If you are EXP on AA and they fly the routes you want, I would just shift everything over to them. Was an easy choice for me making Platnium on Delta (not to mention all my travel involves DTW a delta hub). Even if I don't get upgraded I almost always have a exit seat, and if not an aisle seat towards the front and I don't have to pay any extra for it and will still have that exit row seat even if I am the last to board instead of having to sit on a plane for a half hour while it boards.

Only advantage WN offers me now over Delta is no change fees which is something I realy don't take advantage of anyway unless the fares drop. I would much rather be able to go on an earlier same day flight for free.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:10 pm

I think 10 cabin crew members telling their bosses they have heard this is a problem will get more attention than 10 assorted guys like me emailing in.

I definitely think that, by far.
+1

I doubt the cabin crew wants the extra workload of demarcating actual bloodline family members from jerk Type A's who have come to realize seat-saving is all about attitude. The 'let-them-sort-it-out-themselves' status quo is probably the crews' call...informally or otherwise.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:24 pm

redacted

Last edited by DontCallMeShirley; Mar 21, 2012 at 3:27 pm
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do you not see that a fare paying customers complaint might just be more relevant?

Very strange logic that would seem, to anyone in the customer service industry..
If I email in to gripe, I'm just one complaining guy out of millions of customers, who might be a jackass and can be ignored.

If you complain, SPECIFICALLY in terms of "Hey, I am hearing from a bunch of WN customers that they don't like this seat saving," you will have MUCH more impact.

Let's take it to an extreme. Say 1000 guys like me complain vs. 1000 cabin crew along the lines above. Do you not think the latter would have a humongous effect, relatively?

Same thing for 10/10 or 100/100.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:11 pm

(private)

Last edited by DontCallMeShirley; Mar 21, 2012 at 3:27 pm
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have PM'd you. There is not much more I can say.
Well, if your managers are a bunch of goofballs who don't listen to reason, all bets are off. That I can understand.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If you are EXP on AA and they fly the routes you want, I would just shift everything over to them.
In the process. The only thing holding me back is the CP (until 12/31/12), plus a slew of 1.0/1.5/whatever awards.

Free tickets for my Companion have a powerful hold over me. Plus MDW is a lot more convenient to me than ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.