Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Occupying Seats for Friends - Worse for Long Haul? Solution?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Occupying Seats for Friends - Worse for Long Haul? Solution?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Coincidentally this issue arose earlier this week on a couple of my flights.

Flight #1 - An older woman goes up to the GA and asks (in Spanish) if her daughter can board in the A group. The GA say no problemo, takes the girl's boarding pass (late B group) and puts it down as it is out of order. Girl boards the plane mid-A group. Mom (also late B group) stays behind. I then get on the plane and decide to have some fun and hassle a couple of people saving seats including the girl. Of course I don't really care and end up with an aisle seat just behind the exit row. Sure enough the middle seat remains empty

Flight #2 (connection) - A woman took the aisle seat in the exit row across from my unlimited legroom exit row seat (which I snagged with A4) and she was immediately beset by the FA who apologized for the incident at the front of the plane. Apparently the woman also had paid for BS and tried to take a bulkhead seat. The adjoining seat was occupied by another woman who said she was saving it for a handicapped person (a obvious lie as he would have preboarded) when in fact it was just for 2 family members with lower #s.

Now here was the interesting part: The FA said that management had specifically instructed them not to intervene in these situations as WN does not prohibit seat saving. The FA was quite sympathetic and told her to order whatever she wanted to drink.

I took the opportunity to explain that this issue was a running debate on FT and encouraged her to write to management (of course neglecting to mention that I have no problem with seat savers )
If someone paid for BS, I can see why they would be upset if an entire bulkhead was being saved. I am really surprised a through passenger didn't already grab it. When I am a through on a WN flight, I always ask the person sitting there if they are deplaning in the next city (always says yes) and I will sit as close to the exit row as I can and snag that seat the minute the person is in the aisle.

It's pretty sad though someone is PAYING for business class and getting told to order a free drink since they didn't get a seat they wanted. One more reasonI am glad I usually fly a real airline where I have an assigned seat and if I sit in first class (and most of the time it's a free upgrade) I get UNLIMITED free drinks for whatever reason.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: none
Why didn't the pax just go ahead and take the bulkhead seat anyway if that's what they really wanted? After all, it IS open seating and that's what it means.

Even though there is no policy against saving a seat, there is also no policy against taking any open seat, even if it's "saved".
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:14 am

This discussion is fascinating to me. Having flow WN a lot I must say I never realized this was a problem or that anyone really cared. I just follow the rules of common courtesy and when I tried to save a seat I tell the person that I am trying to save the middle seat for my GF (since I most often travel with her). Usually people understand, but in the few instances where someone has started to make a scene I am more than happy to let them have it.

This situation happens on legacy airlines too, just in a different way. Almost every flight I have taken on United or America lately the FA will have to try and rearrange some seats since people don't get seated next to others in their party. In those situations I will give up my seat (even if asile) to trade if a family wants to be near each other. There are more important things to worry about than making sure I get the optimal seat for a flight (even cross country) and I would hope that others would do the same when I need to change a seat.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by olouie
This discussion is fascinating to me. Having flow WN a lot I must say I never realized this was a problem or that anyone really cared. I just follow the rules of common courtesy and when I tried to save a seat I tell the person that I am trying to save the middle seat for my GF (since I most often travel with her). Usually people understand, but in the few instances where someone has started to make a scene I am more than happy to let them have it.

This situation happens on legacy airlines too, just in a different way. Almost every flight I have taken on United or America lately the FA will have to try and rearrange some seats since people don't get seated next to others in their party. In those situations I will give up my seat (even if asile) to trade if a family wants to be near each other. There are more important things to worry about than making sure I get the optimal seat for a flight (even cross country) and I would hope that others would do the same when I need to change a seat.
Common courtesy is the key word there. If you are saving a middle seat for your girlfriend and it isn't an exit row or bulkhead, I don't think mmost people would have a problem with it (unless it was a couple boarding later and they were the only two seats together available). If someone is saving an entire row (and someone said they save an entire row plus the aisle across for their party of four) or an exit row or bulkhead then that isn't common courtesy.

WN also has no written policy on putting coats in overheads. Out of common courtesy if I carry on, the backpack goes in front of me and I hold on to my jacket until boarding is complete (If I check a bag then the backpack and jacket go in the bin). I have had people actually say something to me, be curious if they are people that think it's ok to save exit row seats

I agree that it is an issue on legacy carriers as well. And I have had people get nasty with me when I wouldn't change seats but at least the rules are spelled out in black and white.

Sometimes on Delta I will change seats, othertimes I refuse. I almost always have the exit row or bulkhead so I won't switch. If I happen to SDC and those occupied seats don't get upgraded and I have another seat and someone will ask me to switch for another aisle further up front, I will providing bin space is available.

What amazes me is in first class. When I flew DTW/LAS on a four hour plus flight one time, must hae been an elite light flight because they were sellng gate upgrades for $150 and a couple decided to splurge. You wouldn't have believed the chaos those two caused trying to play musical chairs so they could sit together. The one in the window was beside me and I refused to switch seats with his wife since I had chosen that seat six days out at the upgrade window and moving clear to the back would mean my meal choice probably wouldn't be available and his wifes seatmate wouldnt give up an aisle either. They finally got two solo travellers sitting together to take their two seats. I overheard him complaining later to the FA that she took medallians orders before theirs and they paid a lot of money to be sitting up there and theres should have been taken first LOL.

Also once had someone in the middle aisle ask me to change seats with his wife also seated in a non exit middle so they could sit together
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Why didn't the pax just go ahead and take the bulkhead seat anyway if that's what they really wanted? After all, it IS open seating and that's what it means.

Even though there is no policy against saving a seat, there is also no policy against taking any open seat, even if it's "saved".
That's what the PAX should have done. If it was that important for the person in the bulkhead to sit with their friend/spouse then they wouldn't mind doing it a few rows back. From what the poster said, the person was saving the entire row. If I were the pax I would have taken either the aisle or window and said her friend could have the middle. Problem solved. If the persons friend was truly handicaped and needed the bulkhead she would had a blue sleeve and preboarded
Old Mar 31, 2012, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I totally understand it being a safety issue having a 70-lb bag (which when I do check a bag a lot of times it weighs over 50 lbs and I would rather check one back than 2, so much easier to deal with on the ground), yet they are willing to take a heavier bag for a fee (which I know doesnt go to the bag handler) or for elites/first class. If a bag over 50 lbs is a safety threat to a bag handler then they shouldnt be accepting it period. A pax paying a $25 fee isn't going to make the bag any safer for the employee to ahndle.
Bags over 50lbs are always supposed to be lifted by more than one person. So you're tying up more handlers with a heavier bag.

Yes, I know that in practice this is often ignored, but that's the rationale for the fee.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanh
Bags over 50lbs are always supposed to be lifted by more than one person. So you're tying up more handlers with a heavier bag.

Yes, I know that in practice this is often ignored, but that's the rationale for the fee.
Never knew that, thanks. IF that practice is observed then it makes sense to charge non-elites a fee since extra manpower is involved. I have flown on Delta before where the bag has weighed a little over 50 lbs and they have not put a heavy tag on, which seems like they should to alert the bag handler. I have also flown on both Delta and WN and checked a bag the was just a little under 50 lbs and they have put the "heavy" tag on the bag.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Never knew that, thanks. IF that practice is observed then it makes sense to charge non-elites a fee since extra manpower is involved. I have flown on Delta before where the bag has weighed a little over 50 lbs and they have not put a heavy tag on, which seems like they should to alert the bag handler. I have also flown on both Delta and WN and checked a bag the was just a little under 50 lbs and they have put the "heavy" tag on the bag.
I have had bags tagged heavy at as little as 42 pounds. No extra charge, just the tag and the weight in black marker.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I have had bags tagged heavy at as little as 42 pounds. No extra charge, just the tag and the weight in black marker.
I don't think I have ever hada bag tagged at 42 lbs. It's usually around 47 or 48 and there has never been a charge (not like they can charge me since the rules state 50 lbs or under for WN and 70 lbs or under for DL). Just that if 2 people are suppose to be handling a bag over 50 lbs, I am surprised those to dont get tagged.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: AirTran Elite, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
I do 90% business travel, but 10% of my travel is with my family. I would want them to sit with me, and you wouldn't enjoy sitting next to me by making my wife / kids sit else where.
But isn't it absurd that WN won't let your wife & kids board with you if you have status on them?

I'm coming over from Airtran and last month my wife and daughter got upgraded with me to Business class on both legs of an MCO-IND, and yet they can't even board with me on Southwest!?

Somehow flying multiple round trips a month on Southwest doesn't earn me enough to board with my family! Where's the LUV?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by connor35
But isn't it absurd that WN won't let your wife & kids board with you if you have status on them?

I'm coming over from Airtran and last month my wife and daughter got upgraded with me to Business class on both legs of an MCO-IND, and yet they can't even board with me on Southwest!?

Somehow flying multiple round trips a month on Southwest doesn't earn me enough to board with my family! Where's the LUV?
When we travel as a family (4 of us), I've never had a problem boarding with one of our two children with my A-List number.

We then head to the back of the plane. Wife and 2nd child board between the A's and B's (if they don't already have an A). No problem...usually no seat needs to be "actively" saved. (That, my wife and 2nd child are usually seated long before anybody would have an interest in middle seats in the back.)
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:26 am

Another prime example:

April 3rd TUS-DEN We are A16-17. They call BS and there are 2 people standing by A1. We get called and I look at the GA as I hand him our boarding passes and the (supposed BS folks) in front of us are A-26 & B-3. I just glared at the GA nd he wouldn't even look me in the eye.

Flash forward to our boarding in DEN for ATL.
We are A19& 21. We let A20 go in front of use and again are lucky to grab the exit row aisle & window. About 10 people later a couple comes in and throws their carry-on in seats 11D-E and sit in 12 D-E and start talking away, so that no one can even ask if the seats are taken or what the carry-ons are doing in the seats. I look at the FA who is standing in our row and make a comment about seat saving in the exit row. She just looks at me and is completely silent. About 15 peolple later another couple and a guy throw the carry-ons in the overhead bin amd plop down in 11 D-E and the guy hops into 12 F.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:05 am

I'm a little surprised by all the hostility toward saving seats. I imagine that if WN were to take an official stance on this, they may copy other carriers and simply allow spouses to board together. If enough people vocalize their concerns, in addition to having one less seat available, there will also be one less space in the overhead compartment

Last edited by SANdyFlyer; Apr 10, 2012 at 1:12 am
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:30 am

Please do not equate this to the flight attendant. They do not have a magic microphone to make it all go away.

Originally Posted by GVretiredguy
Another prime example:

April 3rd TUS-DEN We are A16-17. They call BS and there are 2 people standing by A1. We get called and I look at the GA as I hand him our boarding passes and the (supposed BS folks) in front of us are A-26 & B-3. I just glared at the GA nd he wouldn't even look me in the eye.

Flash forward to our boarding in DEN for ATL.
We are A19& 21. We let A20 go in front of use and again are lucky to grab the exit row aisle & window. About 10 people later a couple comes in and throws their carry-on in seats 11D-E and sit in 12 D-E and start talking away, so that no one can even ask if the seats are taken or what the carry-ons are doing in the seats. I look at the FA who is standing in our row and make a comment about seat saving in the exit row. She just looks at me and is completely silent. About 15 peolple later another couple and a guy throw the carry-ons in the overhead bin amd plop down in 11 D-E and the guy hops into 12 F.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:59 am

J/C, honestly? A couple hours away from your partner? Are you gonna have a tantrum? Be a grown up, enjoy a little quiet time, and realize that if THIS is your BIGGEST problem today, then you are getting along pretty good. How about you give a thought to our troops that don't get the "luxury" of even sittin 50 feet from their love ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.