WN MX Delay Rebooking

Old Feb 16, 12, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Here, I think, is the analysis you should use as a small business...
I don't disagree with the basic travel policy tenants you are suggesting, but based on what I've seen on FT and what I've been able to book, I'm glad my company doesn't have travel policies or a TA and takes a hands off approach.

No policy is perfect and the more rigid policies are, the more incentive employees have to follow the letter of the policy while not necessarily saving the company money. Booking a connection on WN is usually a rookie mistake, but I support companies allowing each employee to manage and learn from their own travel.
Old Feb 16, 12, 4:44 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
The way WN handles Irrops is one of the one of the reasons we discourage employees from using them on a business trip unless it's DTW/MDW or DTW/BNA (the only two non-stop direct routes WN has we would use).
Boy, you must have a lot worse luck than I do. It must be 3 years since I was in a situation where interlining would have kicked in.
Old Feb 16, 12, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
Boy, you must have a lot worse luck than I do. It must be 3 years since I was in a situation where interlining would have kicked in.
As an elite I've had no trouble getting interlining authorized when looking at a one to three hour total delay. You've really not had any flights get delayed or cancelled where a competitor has a flight leaving earlier than the next one on your operating carrier? I suspect you just got used to not having interlining as an option.
Old Feb 16, 12, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Interlining would have been great in May flight DTW/DEN/LAX that was missed on WN due to the MX misconnect. Delta had 2 flights and Spirit (not sure if NK interlines though but DL does) going to LAX and United, Delta and Frontier (not sure if F9 interlines) all had flights going to DEN that would have gotten me there to make my connection.

If Delta flew that route they would have itnerlined me on UA or would have more likely put me on a direct LAX flight or could have had several other ways to have gotten me there that night. And if my flight would have been cancelled I could have simply gone to the Skyclub gone to a kiosk and scanned my boarding pass and a new one would have printed out along with hotel and meal vouchers if I was stranded there. I would have waited in line 2 hours at DTW for a new flight and then another hour in DEN for a hotel assignment.

I did have a 4 hour flight day DTW/DCA on Delta in January. My inbound was delayed due to a WX issue from whatever city it was coming from and I wanted to see about getting on the other Delta flight that was showing an intime on the inbound and would have left a little earlier than my flight. They offered to interline me on another airline (can't remember if it was United or US) that would have gotten me into DC a couple hours earlier but I was upgraded on my flight already and would have been given a seat assignment at the other gate and had to take a shuttle to the North terminal so wasn't worth it. They also offered to route me to either DUL or BWI but wanted to go to DCA. both those cases were Delta offered to reaccomodate me would never happen on WN.

I also have had flights severely delayed or cancelled to a NYC or chicago airport and they have offered to route me to the other chicago airport or one of the other 2 nyc airports. Again something that won't happen on WN.
Old Feb 16, 12, 7:06 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Ambraciot View Post
As an elite I've had no trouble getting interlining authorized when looking at a one to three hour total delay. You've really not had any flights get delayed or cancelled where a competitor has a flight leaving earlier than the next one on your operating carrier? I suspect you just got used to not having interlining as an option.
I have never been offered an interline on a legacy for a 1-3 hour delay and I have had plenty of 1-3 hour delays on legacies in he last 3 years.
Old Feb 16, 12, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+1 And if you are fortunate enough to live in a hub city flying to an area like DC, NYC or Chicago or MIA/FLL with more than one airport in the area, another great thing about being elite on a legacy is they will route you into a neighboring airport if you want to get you to where you are going quicker.
Old Feb 16, 12, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never been offered an interline on a legacy for a 1-3 hour delay and I have had plenty of 1-3 hour delays on legacies in he last 3 years.
I have never tried it on a one hour delay (although I have flown into neighboring airports on a hour delay if I have gotten to the airport in time to catch an earlier flight), not sure if Delta would have interlined me on just an hour delay or not, not really worth going to another terminal and reclearing security, etc for that short of a time period, especially if I am not connecting. I have been given the option of interlining on a 3 hour delay on DL before. Probably depends on the legacy you are on and how high your status is with them and possibly fare class. I am an airline is going to be more likely to work with a highest teir elite on a Y or other high fare than someone who is just silver or no status at all with a low economy fare bucket ticket.
Old Feb 16, 12, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Probably depends on the legacy you are on and how high your status is with them and possibly fare class. I am an airline is going to be more likely to work with a highest teir elite on a Y or other high fare than someone who is just silver or no status at all with a low economy fare bucket ticket.
That's definitely part of it, another part is that you need to ask. Frequently they are quite surprised I'd accept a reroute onto another carrier since they assume it means giving up the upgrade. Though I have heard of people being interlined directly into another carrier's premium cabin from an upgraded coach fare, I believe that requires a significant IROP.
Old Feb 17, 12, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The key to IRROPS is being proactively armed with the alternatives which you want. GA's are often only trained in the very basic aspects of rebooking and 95% of pax simply accept what they are given.

Far better is to hand the CSR handling your IRROPS a piece of paper with the carrier(s) and flights you want. And, have backups to that. From small stations, there may not be many options, but think about your goal rather than tieing yourself down.
Old Feb 17, 12, 4:53 pm

I have never tried it on a one hour delay
Well, when does interlining kick-in? 1 hour delays are common. 3 and more hour delays are rare enough for me that they simply will not influence my traveling pattern.
Old Feb 17, 12, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, when does interlining kick-in? 1 hour delays are common. 3 and more hour delays are rare enough for me that they simply will not influence my traveling pattern.
Fortunately for me they are rare as well, but when they occur, unless the airport is shut down due to IROPS Delta will get me there the same day. Luckilly in the case of my WN IROPS it was a pleasure trip on a RR ticket. Had it been a client meeting, knowing DL would have gotten me there that night, it would have been enough for me to stop flying WN.

If I am flying for pleasure on a RR ticket it is fustrating enough. If I am flying on Business on a REV ticket, that is enough to make me fly a carrier that handles IROPS in a much mor e professional manner.
Old Feb 17, 12, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

I have yet to be turned down when a delay or cancellation requires me to be rebooked onto a new flight and a competing carrier has a better/faster option available. I doubt a delay of your final scheduled flight will allow interlining if the flight will still reach the destination within 2 hours of the scheduled arrival.

However if they are offering you replacement flights going through a different hub that will get you there 70 minutes late and another carrier can get you there on time, it's worth asking and they've done it for me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: