Wiki Posts
Search

Gaming the system for a free drink?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Gaming the system for a free drink?

NOTE: I would never do this personally.

Theoretically, is it possible to buy a Wanna Get Away fare and a BS fare on the same flight, check in, and then cancel your BS fare to get a full refund, but still retain the drink coupon?

Just wondered that today while I was flying.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:10 pm

You need a hobby. Sure you could do it, but why would anyone go to all that trouble for a cocktail that costs a fin? You might be able to get away with it once, but I would hope that there is some system in place that would flag it if repeated - resulting in forfeiture of RR points or account closure.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:18 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
If you REALLY want to go through all that for a $5 drink, go knock yourself out.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 4:10 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
You have to check in for the flight to get the coupon. That puts you in the system in a whole different way than just buying and cancelling a ticket.

If you do plan on doing this, do not use you RR# or the same name for both tickets.

This sounds like one of those things for which they will cancel your account, take your points and ban you from future flights.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 4:17 am

I think having two tickets for the same flight would cause an issue. I guess you could buy the BS ticket for a different flight that day. But, the process of getting the refund is probably not worth $5. Let alone the ethical issues.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 4:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It could be considered fraud to purchase a plane ticket you have no intention of using. This issue has arisen when people reserve extra seats to increase their own chances of getting an upgrade.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It could be considered fraud to purchase a plane ticket you have no intention of using. This issue has arisen when people reserve extra seats to increase their own chances of getting an upgrade.
I would be more worried about being accused of being Cheap rather than Fraud for all that work for a $5 drink
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
What a horrible thought.

The only situation I could see "plausible" would be forfeiting your Monday AM BS drink coupons and doubling up (printing twice) on your BS ride on Friday night to "even the score". But hardly worth the effort / consequences...
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
I have been inadvertently booked two different PNRs on the same flight. I cancelled one within the 24-hour checkin window, with no consequences.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I'm about the biggest cheapskate in the world and even I think that this is a ridiculous way to try to scam $5 out of the airline.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
$300 plane ticket.

$150/night hotel.

$50/day rental car.

Hotel meals at $25.

Parking at the airport for $11 a day (hey, it's Nashville)

Personal auto expense at 40 cents a mile and 200 mi RT (I live a long way from the airport.)

All of that is OK.

But, $5 for a drink. That's ridiculous. Let me figure out how to get a free one.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: WN CP
No need to game the system. Just check the kiosks. I see BS drink coupons left behind often.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:49 pm

That's a lot of effort to claim a $5.00 drink. SWA is taking their drink
coupons seriously these days, it's not like the old days when other passengers on the plane were always giving them away. i.e. Friday flights into LV etc
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Just to reiterate, I think it is silly and I would never do that...but it was just one of those things I was thinking of at the airport.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 2:57 am

Programs: Bopping Field Mice on their Heads
I have several drink coupons that will expire at the end of this month and I won't use so if anyone wants, feel free to PM. I'll reply as soon as I can and I'll snail mail then over.

I don't think the names are checked on the coupons and your IDs but please let me know if this is not the case.

Don't think this has to be said but please also be 21 and older. If I have a greater response than how many I have on hand, I'll probably disfavor new users with 5 or less posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.