Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Wiki] Southwest's new "Evolve" interior adds 1 row, claims to preserve knee room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2013, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alggag
Southwest has added one row of seats to virtually all its aircraft, increasing the seat count from 137 to 143. The pitch is tighter, the seats are thinner and lower, and passengers taller than 6 feet are finding it uncomfortable.

Only a few older 737-300's and 500's have not been refitted. The 737-800's, were originally equipped with the thinner seats but at a larger pitch which most customers find sufficiently comfortable.

In this thread we discuss the wisdom of this decision, discuss whether it makes sense to switch carriers, commiserate, and celebrate our occasional successes in obtaining the suddenly much rarer seats with extra legroom.
Print Wikipost

[Wiki] Southwest's new "Evolve" interior adds 1 row, claims to preserve knee room

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by whitfed
We get it, we get it... Airtran folks don't like the fact WN bought you guys out and wanted in ATL. Could you do us a favor though, and keep the whining and moaning to the Airtran board, until we HAVE to share a row with you.
Be gentle, they are just at the "Anger & Bargaining" stage. "Acceptance and Hope" will come when the realize a WN FA will offer them a cocktail on a full size jet on the 30 minute HOU-CRP and come back and ask if they want another. Its all part of the process.

Lets face it that they are doing something right when they have had 39 years of profitability while just about everyone else has gone bankrupt. Some several times. Meanwhile their neighbor down the rode is downsizing through bankruptcy. The interior issue is a straw to grasp for those who have not flown WN and yet complain, or those 3 Airtran FF's who think Atlanta is somehow different from the other big cities. WN did not buy Airtran for its planes XM or first class, WN bought it for a cheap way to expand ATL, LGA and open up some international. They run a tight ship and they move fast on projects. The new Love terminal is not being built by the City of Dallas, like HOU it is being built by WN with WN running the show. I suspect WN will have their integration complete before UA/CO become one or US has one pilot contract.

Sure the FF might be mad that they no longer get the upgrade, but their coach product, convenient airports, frequency, non-hub connecting sure beat the 4 remaining Legacies coach product.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by MrMan
snip... They run a tight ship and they move fast on projects.
They move fast on projects?!

Bwwwaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaa haaaaaaa!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by MrMan
WN did not buy Airtran for its planes XM or first class, WN bought it for a cheap way to expand ATL, LGA and open up some international. They run a tight ship and they move fast on projects.
They bought it to close down a competitor, grab LGA slots and take a shot at operating in ATL. No way they're doing 202 daily operations out of there in three years.

How's that reservation system upgrade coming?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by LegalTender
No way they're doing 202 daily operations out of there in three years.
Care to tell me what the winning power ball numbers will be, since you can predict the future so well?

Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by LegalTender
They bought it to close down a competitor, grab LGA slots and take a shot at operating in ATL. No way they're doing 202 daily operations out of there in three years.
Maybe not 202, but certainly 175 between WN/FL.

- 10 flights a day to LGA
- 10 flights a day to a mix of international destinations (as Air Tran)
- 7 flights a day to MCO, TPA, FLL, BWI, HOU, MDW, STL, DEN
- 5 flights a day between a mix of DAL proxies (JAN, LIT, OKC, TUL, ICT) that continue on to DAL
- 5 flights a day to PHX, LAS, LAX, BOS, DCA, MSY
- an average of 2 flights a day to the remaining 28 cities east of the Rockies, ignoring the cities that are historical DAL/HOU-feeders such as AMA and CRP. Some like OMA and MHT might get one, others like PHL and JAX might get 3.
- 2 flights a day to SNA, SEA, SAN, SFO or OAK

That would be 165 flights to 53 existing WN destinations, plus 10 international. That's about the same domestic breadth as MDW, which serves all but 14 WN destinations.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Beckles
I am amazed at the outrage over a product that no one on this board has actually experienced yet.
Silly me. WN is adding an extra row to each plane - but you are right - I haven't experienced it yet. I might love having less room.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:37 pm

My understanding was always that the seat pitch on WN's 737-700s was 32" (with a few rows slightly bigger), and would be 31" after Evolve. In the USA Today marketing piece, er... article, today, Southwest says the pitch is being reduced from 33" to 32". Anyone know the truth here?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
That's about the same domestic breadth as MDW, which serves all but 14 WN destinations.
As a MDW flyer, I did not know they were only missing non-stops to 14 places. I did know I could usually get non-stop flights.

Looking at the map, are these the places you are counting: Boise, Tulsa, Burbank, Jacksonville, West Palm Beach, Panama Beach, Milwaukee, Spokane, and then the Texas cities - Amarillo, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, El Paso, Dallas, Corpus Christi, and South Padre Island? I think I am getting 15.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by OzzyOzzie
Considering I've seen 8 - 10 YO kids recline, so I don't think will stop them from doing it

The 32'' does give my knees a break from recliners, but not by much. I guess time will tell.
I don't think taller people realize this (and some shorter people may not realize this is why they're uncomfortable), but *many* airline seats are sculpted at the top to optimize for apparently a 5'10-6' tall person -- for those of us who are shorter than that, that neck protrusion pushes us forward, or doesn't let our head go slightly back above the seat. Reclining a couple of degrees is the only way to relieve that pressure.

That's why you'll often see larger kids (very small kids still "fit" below the neck curve) and shorter adults recline a bit (or more, yes) as soon as they can. I do limit my recline, and always look behind to see how much kneeroom is there, but please understand that it's a tradeoff -- while a taller person is of course less comfortable with the seat in front reclined than a shorter person is, the shorter person is less comfortable with their seat fully upright than the taller person is.

Having said that, I concur that this project sounds like marketing spin on what it really is -- adding a row to the plane. But I remain open and prepared to be pleasantly surprised on boarding one...
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Lyssa
As a MDW flyer, I did not know they were only missing non-stops to 14 places. I did know I could usually get non-stop flights.

Looking at the map, are these the places you are counting: Boise, Tulsa, Burbank, Jacksonville, West Palm Beach, Panama Beach, Milwaukee, Spokane, and then the Texas cities - Amarillo, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, El Paso, Dallas, Corpus Christi, and South Padre Island? I think I am getting 15.
Doh, I forgot Milwaukee!

Originally Posted by jmastron
I don't think taller people realize this (and some shorter people may not realize this is why they're uncomfortable), but *many* airline seats are sculpted at the top to optimize for apparently a 5'10-6' tall person -- for those of us who are shorter than that, that neck protrusion pushes us forward, or doesn't let our head go slightly back above the seat. Reclining a couple of degrees is the only way to relieve that pressure.
I have the opposite problem with B6's E-190 seats - I'm too tall for them at 6'4" and the sculped headrest digs straight into my back. It's a shame, because it's a nice plane otherwise.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 7:03 pm

And how is one inch less legroom a win-win proposition? This means I will have to sit with my knees pulled up to my chest.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by wine_lover
And how is one inch less legroom a win-win proposition? This means I will have to sit with my knees pulled up to my chest.
They took away an inch from the seatback in front of you and reduced it's recline by 1".
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eemraldskies
They took away an inch from the seatback in front of you and reduced it's recline by 1".
I can hardly wait for the inevitable "I can not recline my seat enough on WN" thread that will appear within days of the seats hitting the system. As a non-recliner with a two piece computer in my junk pile (formerly a laptop with an attached screen), I welcome this change.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by expert7700
The current config is 22 rows of seats (23 including the front/bulkhead row).
Take away an inch of pitch from each to get 22 towards an extra row.

Since you need an extra 31" to add in a new row, that means 9 inches combined are being cut from the exit row seating and front row (bulkhead)
Very good observation!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Eemraldskies
This seems to be escaping many folks' comprehension. If you make the seatback 1" thinner and decrease pitch by 1" and reduce recline, your knees should be fine.

I think the bigger issues are (a) whether the new seats are comfortable and (b) whether Southwest is telling the truth (e.g., reducing seat back thickness by 0.51"; reducing pitch by 1.49", and rounding both to 1" for marketing purposes). The devil, of course, is in the details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.