Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Wiki] Southwest's new "Evolve" interior adds 1 row, claims to preserve knee room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2013, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alggag
Southwest has added one row of seats to virtually all its aircraft, increasing the seat count from 137 to 143. The pitch is tighter, the seats are thinner and lower, and passengers taller than 6 feet are finding it uncomfortable.

Only a few older 737-300's and 500's have not been refitted. The 737-800's, were originally equipped with the thinner seats but at a larger pitch which most customers find sufficiently comfortable.

In this thread we discuss the wisdom of this decision, discuss whether it makes sense to switch carriers, commiserate, and celebrate our occasional successes in obtaining the suddenly much rarer seats with extra legroom.
Print Wikipost

[Wiki] Southwest's new "Evolve" interior adds 1 row, claims to preserve knee room

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
Perhaps you should consider replacing your thighs and hips with a tape measure. @:-)
Actually, I'm bringing a tape measure with me on my VX flight tonight. I'm flying VX, WN, and AS this month, and I'm curious to see what the differences are before I get stuck on an Evolve flight
Old Apr 4, 2012, 3:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Actually, I'm bringing a tape measure with me on my VX flight tonight. I'm flying VX, WN, and AS this month, and I'm curious to see what the differences are before I get stuck on an Evolve flight
Please report your results here. FTers love a "mine is bigger than yours" debate.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by nsx
Please report your results here. FTers love a "mine is bigger than yours" debate.
And don't forget - get both dimensions. "How wide it is" is just as important as "how long it is".
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
It is not just the length of ones legs, but also the thickness of ones derriere. Short people with big cabooses are at a disadvantage as well.

Tall people with extra seat to belt buckle separation are doubly penalized.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
Well, what spurred this was that VX claims that their seat on an A320 is 19.7 wide, which is a pile of hooey because they measure from the middle of the armrest to the middle of the armrest. The real width is 18" at the front of the armrest, so a little wider than WN's 737s. But most of WN's aisle outside airmrests go up. VX's don't, but they're designed so you can still get some additional width from them by putting your thigh under the armrest.

The VX seats seemed to have a little less room stomach-to-seatback than the current WN seats. (The exact number is irrelevant because, well, it's my stomach, not yours....) My guess is that the pitch is about 1/2 inch less than the current WN pitch. The VX neckrest was annoying to me because I'm too tall for it, so it just dug into my shoulders.

The real benefit of the VX seat was that the in-seat entertainment didn't take up any space. I was fortunate (and strategic in my seat selection at booking) that nobody sat next to me, as the flight was about 85% full.

The 18" wide seat on VX does make a difference, as does the AVOD. If the WN 737 Evolve seat is noticably worse (especially on the 800s), I will probably continue to fly VX on MDW-SFO when the airfare and schedule is similar.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, WN CP, etc. etc.
Been away-from-forum for a while, so the Evolve interior was a surprise to me on Monday; enough of a surprise that I didn't take good notes, prepare to take measurements, etc.

SJC-SAN and I got an exit aisle, so I didn't get to experience a long segment or "normal" row legroom, but I found the seat pretty comfortable. Do not like the new seat-pocket; much too slim for my 2 magazines plus iPad.

Many fellow pax mentioned the "new car smell". Heh.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I am at a complete loss about this seat width issue. I had a vociferous exchange with the Airtran people 8-10 months ago about whether WN's seats were narrower than Airtran's seats. The only possibility is that Airtran ( and I guess from the previous post VX ) have narrower armrests. WHY, WHY, WHY, would any airline use a wider armrest than is necessary ( it seems that WN is doing that ) and consequently have a narrower seat. So, WN is refitting their planes - Are they not using the narrower armrests that are available??? Why not ???
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:12 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Well, what spurred this was that VX claims that their seat on an A320 is 19.7 wide, which is a pile of hooey because they measure from the middle of the armrest to the middle of the armrest.
For people who care about shoulder width, this is the correct measurement. Airbus narrowbodies allow about 1" extra width per seat than Boeing narrowbodies.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
OK, I missed that ElmhurstNick was talking about an Airbus. However, Airtran still claims to have wider seats than WN on the same aircraft : Boeing 737-700.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
I flew yesterday from PDX to BUR with a stop in OAK on an 'Evolve' plane. Leg room seemed the same to me (I'm 5'9"). When I put the tray down it seemed much closer - it was closer than the end of the arm rests. If I extended it it touched my torso - never had that happen before. I did get up and walk around during the OAK pit stop and use the lav. Even then, by the time I got off the flight, my tailbone ached.

For me, thumbs down
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by TSparky
Even then, by the time I got off the flight, my tailbone ached.

For me, thumbs down
I don't know how many of you are LH flyers, but is this similar to the NEK design? Those seats are good for maximum an hour for most of us.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...opakabine.html

And if it IS the NEK design, are there bin issues?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-feedback.html
Old Apr 9, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by exbayern
And if it IS the NEK design, are there bin issues?
I'd expect there to be more bin issues (regardless if it's similar to the LH design) with this design. They added an extra row, but kept the number of bins the same....
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I'd expect there to be more bin issues (regardless if it's similar to the LH design) with this design. They added an extra row, but kept the number of bins the same....
Yes, but the walls of the bins have been made thinner to increase the room inside.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 3:02 am

is that so? reference please.

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Yes, but the walls of the bins have been made thinner to increase the room inside.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by DontCallMeShirley
is that so? reference please.
It was a joke. A bad one maybe, but a joke nonetheless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.