In-flight Wi-Fi experience

Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, UA, WN
In-flight Wi-Fi experience

Thought I'd share this FWIW:

Yesterday (6/17) on the MDW-SJC nonstop I sprung $5 for the in-flight Wi-Fi. It worked great. I did a speed test using toast.net and measured 894 kbps downstream. The only problem I had was when downloading an email with a large (6+ Mbyte) attachment -- no matter what I did, the attachment would only partially download.

This is the second time I've tried WN in-flight Wi-Fi. The first time cost $10 and was only slightly better than useless. But yesterday was the best $5 I ever spent. Could be that the plane was full of tourists rather than business travelers, though...
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:02 pm

I too spent the $5.00 recently on a New York to Fort Lauderdale flight. I was very happy with the wifi. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I had wifi on Saturday (HOU-OAK) and it worked okay (maybe 200k with high lag). Not great, but I managed to do what I needed to do and pass the time.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:53 pm

I think lag time is the nature of the speed of transmitting your internet to outer space and back. I doubt that can improve much.

How does the bandwidth and lag time compare to what Gogo offers?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by ScroogeMcFlyer
I think lag time is the nature of the speed of transmitting your internet to outer space and back. I doubt that can improve much.

How does the bandwidth and lag time compare to what Gogo offers?
That's to be expected with a satellite-based system. Gogo usually runs at about 1-1.5Mbps.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But can you hook up to it via a secured connection (password prompt before connecting)?

Because if not (if it's an "open" WiFi service like AA's GoGo), per this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-security.html

you shouldn't access My Southwest while on a Southwest plane.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But can you hook up to it via a secured connection (password prompt before connecting)
I'm AL+, so don't have to pay. It's definitely SSL when I connect via our "special page".

FWIW, I've had great experiences with the on-board WiFi (the 4 times I've had it, that is). My only problem (other than sparsity of equipped aircraft) is it's only ~30 mins between departure and arrival checks SNA/SJC so I don't get to use it that much .
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:14 pm

I've used it on several flights and never had a problem--I even was able to watch one of my class lectures. The only problem I have is that none of my recent flights have had wifi
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest
Wi-fi didn't work, where's my $5?

Paid for Wi-Fi on a June 21 SNA-MDW flight 271. Within 10 minutes, the Wi-fi was no longer operational for the rest of the flight. Instead of fighting with CC company over $5, e-mailed WN asking it to either refund the money on the Southwest Visa listed on my account, or give me extra RR points to make up for the loss. Still have not gotten any answer from WN.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:06 am

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest
Just got reply from Southwest, which is crediting the $5 Wi-Fi charge
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Used it a few times and very hit and miss for me. One time on the way from SJC to SEA, I was able to hold a VoIP call over VPN with no issue, to my surprise. I figure they dont allow VoIP call so they would disrupt continueous data stream but as soon as I VPN'ed in, the probelm went a way. I think there is traffic monitor system can't decipher or discriminate VPN data. However, on the way back from SEA to SJC, I couldn't even sync Outlook successfully. I used a Wi-Fi tool to sniff the RF and there were active connections for over 20 systems, probably more than system can handle. My guess is it will be hit and miss depend on how many active users are on the same flight.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:38 pm

Arrow

SW Wifi is still in its infancy from my experiences. Plus very few aircraft have it. That' such a pain. I have found Gogo to be much better than SW Wifi. Dont know the exact bandspeeds for both but what finally matters is whether you are connecting to the internet fast enough and reliably. in this aspect SW Wifi has some kinks to iron out. Same goes for gogo too. but SW is further behind than Gogo and hence,more catching up to do.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: Platinum Ambassador Priority Club, Singapore Silver Elite, Hilton Honors Silver, Continental Silver
need more planes with it

I tried it once and found it nice. Problem is, on the last 30 planes, only 1 had it. That is pathetic. Too slow of a roll out. As an A+ member, don't brag to me about something that is available less than 5% of the time.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by azgrunge
I tried it once and found it nice. Problem is, on the last 30 planes, only 1 had it. That is pathetic. Too slow of a roll out. As an A+ member, don't brag to me about something that is available less than 5% of the time.
This! How are they going to use that as one of the big "perks" of A+ when you can't even get it on most of the flights? It's been a while since I've seen it on any of mine...
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:50 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by deltheking
SW Wifi is still in its infancy from my experiences. Plus very few aircraft have it. That' such a pain. I have found Gogo to be much better than SW Wifi. Dont know the exact bandspeeds for both but what finally matters is whether you are connecting to the internet fast enough and reliably. in this aspect SW Wifi has some kinks to iron out. Same goes for gogo too. but SW is further behind than Gogo and hence,more catching up to do.
Gogo is downright slow. I just used it on my AS flight today, and it is painfully slow to send any attachments. It took me 5 minutes to send a 2.1 MB file today. The only bonus to Gogo is it's a lot easier to install on aircraft--it goes in an unused antenna port--whereas the Row 44 system requires a hole to be cut in the fuselage and test flights to be done.

I've seen more and more WN wifi planes floating around. Saw plenty in PHX, MDW, STL and HOU over the last few weeks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.