Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Atlanta Inaugurals- Who's going?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2011, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Atlanta Inaugurals- Who's going?

I've got a free weekend in February and the inaugural flights to ATL start on 2/12, correct? I hear that those are always fun when they start service to a new city so I booked myself on the first flight out of BWI to ATL on 2/12.

Any ideas of what I should expect? Anybody else going to be there? I'll be on flight 2081 BWI-ATL.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by skoker
I've got a free weekend in February and the inaugural flights to ATL start on 2/12, correct? I hear that those are always fun when they start service to a new city so I booked myself on the first flight out of BWI to ATL on 2/12.

Any ideas of what I should expect? Anybody else going to be there? I'll be on flight 2081 BWI-ATL.
Likely will have lots of peanut bags thrown on the floor, confetti made from useless drink coupons, and a special mid-flight salute to WN's IT department.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
My family will be there... The first arrival of the day Sunday is coming from HOU, so that's where we'll be positioning ourselves the night before.

We've flown on the inaugural flight for the last 7 station openings and they are always a good time. The local news media will likely film in the gate area for the 1st departing flight and 1st arriving flight, and there are usually snacks at the gate area. Once in a while they go all out (artist doing free caricatures, $25 off roundtrip coupon, coupon books given to everyone visiting the new city, free flight raffle). Then, Monday late morning Gary Kelly will usually be on site to hold a press conference.

Unfortunately It's hit or miss whether the origin cities will go all out or not. The last time I flew from BWI on a 1st flight in, the gate agent actually said "you're our first customers to this city, but it's nothing special, you don't get any prizzes or anything". I wish I had that recorded because even though it was early AM, he exhibited the complete opposite of the Southwest Spirit that they look for in new hires.

Last edited by expert7700; Dec 24, 2011 at 9:23 pm
Old Dec 25, 2011, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700
My family will be there... The first arrival of the day Sunday is coming from HOU, so that's where we'll be positioning ourselves the night before.

We've flown on the inaugural flight for the last 7 station openings and they are always a good time. The local news media will likely film in the gate area for the 1st departing flight and 1st arriving flight, and there are usually snacks at the gate area. Once in a while they go all out (artist doing free caricatures, $25 off roundtrip coupon, coupon books given to everyone visiting the new city, free flight raffle). Then, Monday late morning Gary Kelly will usually be on site to hold a press conference.

Unfortunately It's hit or miss whether the origin cities will go all out or not. The last time I flew from BWI on a 1st flight in, the gate agent actually said "you're our first customers to this city, but it's nothing special, you don't get any prizzes or anything". I wish I had that recorded because even though it was early AM, he exhibited the complete opposite of the Southwest Spirit that they look for in new hires.
I'm hoping with ATL being a "big deal" station entry that they'll do something, if not, then it'll at least be a fun day trip because I love ATL.

Hope to meet you there!
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by skoker
I'm hoping with ATL being a "big deal" station entry that they'll do something, if not, then it'll at least be a fun day trip because I love ATL.

Hope to meet you there!
I absolutely think that with AirTran and the future projected for Atlanta (I know, we've heard of the downsizing possibilities and all), this one has to get the full Southwest treatment. I think its too big of an opening not to and the media will be all over this one.

With all due respect to GSP and CHS here, but this is a little more than that!
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Bringing this one back because this is coming up next weekend- anybody else going? I'm now in the first first flight (the HOU-ATL), after coming in BUF-BWI-GSP-HOU and RONing in HOU. ATL-BUF home is on DL.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Airtran A+ Elite
Originally Posted by jco613
I absolutely think that with AirTran and the future projected for Atlanta (I know, we've heard of the downsizing possibilities and all), this one has to get the full Southwest treatment. I think its too big of an opening not to and the media will be all over this one.

With all due respect to GSP and CHS here, but this is a little more than that!
I wouldn't even say it is a possibility, it is going to happen. Southwest has already said they are doing away with the Airtran hub of Atlanta. That means less flights specifically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.