Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Where are the cheapest flights in the system?

Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Hey all-

I've got 45,000 points that I've saved up to burn for my spring break this year, and I'm looking for input as to what the cheapest one-ways out there are. My goal is to take about 4 days and hit as many cities as I can, I just don't know what city pairs to try and use.

So where are those $49 and $59 fares hiding?

Thanks!

-skoker

Last edited by iTanNicNic; Dec 23, 2011 at 9:30 pm Reason: ned too lean too spel
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:22 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
You can usually find 29 each way on RSW-MCO and 39 on HOU-AUS.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alggag
You can usually find 29 each way on RSW-MCO and 39 on HOU-AUS.
Oooh, never even thought of those pairs, I knew intra-Cali and intra-Texas were cheap but totally forgot about intra-Florida. Anything else hiding out there?
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:49 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
HOU-HRL is also consistently 39. Oddly enough, HOU-CRP runs 49.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alggag
HOU-HRL is also consistently 39. Oddly enough, HOU-CRP runs 49.
Cheapest run to RSW I could find was $99 over the 10 or so days I looked
Old Dec 24, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
If you a looking for Spring Break week, a lot of the cheap fares were gone in the first few days.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
If you a looking for Spring Break week, a lot of the cheap fares were gone in the first few days.
Thankfully, for travel purposes, our break coinsides with just about nobody. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) it means I make the trips alone.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skoker
Thankfully, for travel purposes, our break coinsides with just about nobody. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) it means I make the trips alone.
Here in our part of the country, the college Spring Break "week" is about three weeks in March, the week depending on the school. That is followed by high school spring break which is different weeks in different states, Tennessee being different than Kentucky. All in all, there is one big week in early March, and 3-4 minor weeks in March and April. Fridays and Sundays can be difficult in all of them and the big week is fun all the way through. This year the big week is March 3-10.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 1:08 pm

Look for routes where they compete with a similar Spirit route, and nonstop routes under 500 miles.

Last edited by rtalk25; Dec 25, 2011 at 1:31 pm
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:35 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
LAX-LAS has been as low as $19 this year.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
PHX-LAS at $39 ow recently!

LAX-PHX usually at $49.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
BNA-BHM is around $36 bucks.....
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I wouldn't think you'd be fighting the traditional Spring Breakers on the intra-Texas flights...except whichever one people use for Padre. (HRL?)

We did SoCal for Spring Break one year: we had the advantage that the Midwest and East go a little earlier for Spring Break than the West, so we were able to get award flights and an award week at MVCI right before Marriott devalued those awards. The hotel staff said we were one week ahead of their first "peak" Spring Break week... We were there approx. March 10-17th. I remember for sure that it coincided with the first week of the hoops tourney.

So if you're on the early end as well, Cali could be an interesting trip. Plus there's enough to do throughout the state that you wouldn't really need to take too many flights...maybe even a simple triangle trip...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:19 pm

Den to ABQ is often $59 and sometimes as low as $39
Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Den to AMA has just about always been $29 recently. But then you're in Amarillo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.