Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drink Coupon Lawsuit- Class Action

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Drink Coupon Lawsuit- Class Action

(Reuters) - Southwest Airlines Co was sued by an Illinois man over the discount carrier's decision to stop honoring coupons for free alcoholic drinks, which it had given to select travelers and which lacked expiration dates.

The plaintiff Adam Levitt said Southwest had for years awarded customers like him, who bought tickets through its premium-priced "Business Select" program, hundreds of thousands of coupons for the drinks, which would otherwise cost $5 each.

But on August 1, 2010, Southwest changed its policy, and said Business Select passengers may use their coupons only on the day of travel printed on them. Some other passengers were given more time.

"In an industry where the competition is always knocking (or banging) on the door and where watching the bottom-line is more important than ever, we owe it to our employees, customers, and shareholders to find ways to operate smarter," Mike Hafner, vice president of cabin services, wrote on a company blog.

Levitt, who lives in the Chicago area, said the policy change amounted to a breach of contract. He attached to his complaint copies of 45 coupons for free drinks, which he said he had accumulated and which the change left worthless.

"Southwest decided that it would make more money -- improve its 'bottom-line' -- by choosing not to honor the coupons that consumers had already paid and bargained for," said the complaint filed on Wednesday in Chicago federal court.

The lawsuit seeks class-action status for Southwest customers in the United States with unredeemed drink coupons. It seeks compensatory damages and other remedies.

Southwest had no immediate comment. A lawyer for Levitt did not immediately return a call seeking a comment.

U.S. carriers are reducing services and cutting expenses as fuel costs rise and an uncertain economy threatens to reduce demand for travel. Southwest, based in Dallas, has long been among the healthiest major U.S. carriers financially.

The case is Levitt v. Southwest Airlines Co, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, No. 11-08176.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Where can I join the Class? I have books of those... The FA are now taking and keeping the expiring ones after they tell y ou they are no longer valid...
Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Sweet. Let me guess the outcome of any class action.

Southwest will admit no wrong doing but agrees to establish a $10 million dollar fund to pay out claims in the interests of settling the matter. Class action lawyers take 40% ($4 million) plus expenses.

Individual payout cannot be estimated until size of pool is determined. Everyone gets to send in a very complex claim form estimating the BS trips and coupons that expired unused - but no proof is ever required so everyone responds inflating their "losses".

Three years from now everyone who responds gets one coupon for a free drink on the next WN flight.

Sad, but been there many times before...
Old Nov 16, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
It's going to be tossed out before it goes anywhere. The tickets contained the fine print of something to the effect that Southwest reserves the right to cancel the coupon program at any time. They can simply say they cancelled the existing coupon program, and instituted a new one.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by mritty
It's going to be tossed out before it goes anywhere. The tickets contained the fine print of something to the effect that Southwest reserves the right to cancel the coupon program at any time. They can simply say they cancelled the existing coupon program, and instituted a new one.
Ding!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
How about getting Southwest to settle by having an open bar, invitation only party at each of their hubs?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Hilton Diamond, WN, AA, Total Rewards Diamond
Originally Posted by mritty
Did the tan colored, no expiration date coupons(2007-2010) actually say this? I've long since pitched the ones I bought so I can't check but I don't recall seeing this on the coupons.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:31 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
How about: All plaintiff class members get some of what the plaintiffs' lawyer is smoking. @:-)
Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by joshua362
Three years from now everyone who responds gets one coupon for a free drink on the next WN flight.
Unless it proves to be exceptionally arduous for the attorneys (i.e. not enough billable holes of golf between court hearings), in which case everyone will get script for fractional shares of drink coupons and we will have to barter to consolidate our holdings to get a drink.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:49 pm

We've discussed this before; from another thread: I contacted two law firms months ago regarding potential class action lawsuits against Southwest. After a lot of discussion, both declined to move forward. The reasoning I was given (which I disagree with) is somewhat supported by the article I posted earlier in this thread; basically that the federal Airline Deregulation Act pre-empts state laws that purport to regulate airline "prices, routes, or services."

http://upgrd.com/matthew/court-sides...to-expire.html

It remains to be see if the courts will feel this way also.

I suspect Southwest will settle and agree to send out a few vouchers, best case scenario.

Last edited by ursine1; Nov 17, 2011 at 4:08 pm Reason: corrected truncated url
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:59 am

I'd like to join the class action, waste of time as it may be. My google skills have failed me, does anyone have direction on where to go?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Don't worry. They will find you. Not only do class actions support lawyers, but they are a boon to the post office.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
Don't worry. They will find you. Not only do class actions support lawyers, but they are a boon to the post office.
If Southwest honored their agreement, they could avoid funneling money into the despised pockets of lawyers and postal workers, and pay the restitution to the customers where it belongs. Since that isn't the case, I'm happy to perpetuate the bureaucracy that surrounds a class-action lawsuit, and all the wasteful spending that goes with it. It is the American way, and I am a patriot.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: AA; UA; US; WN;
Flier sues Southwest, says owed 45 free drinks

While most every program includes the disclaimer similar to "until we change our mind" this guy has, in my opinion, a really valid point.

http://goo.gl/hri9t

If what the airline offer is, as my brother says, "the sleeves out of their vest", then it's not worth the effort. However, if identified with a dollar value, canceling them is disingenuous.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by HBFlyer
(Reuters) - Southwest Airlines Co was sued by an Illinois man over the discount carrier's decision to stop honoring coupons for free alcoholic drinks, which it had given to select travelers and which lacked expiration dates.

The plaintiff Adam Levitt said Southwest had for years awarded customers like him, who bought tickets through its premium-priced "Business Select" program, hundreds of thousands of coupons for the drinks, which would otherwise cost $5 each.

But on August 1, 2010, Southwest changed its policy, and said Business Select passengers may use their coupons only on the day of travel printed on them. Some other passengers were given more time.

"In an industry where the competition is always knocking (or banging) on the door and where watching the bottom-line is more important than ever, we owe it to our employees, customers, and shareholders to find ways to operate smarter," Mike Hafner, vice president of cabin services, wrote on a company blog.

Levitt, who lives in the Chicago area, said the policy change amounted to a breach of contract. He attached to his complaint copies of 45 coupons for free drinks, which he said he had accumulated and which the change left worthless.

"Southwest decided that it would make more money -- improve its 'bottom-line' -- by choosing not to honor the coupons that consumers had already paid and bargained for," said the complaint filed on Wednesday in Chicago federal court.

The lawsuit seeks class-action status for Southwest customers in the United States with unredeemed drink coupons. It seeks compensatory damages and other remedies.

Southwest had no immediate comment. A lawyer for Levitt did not immediately return a call seeking a comment.

U.S. carriers are reducing services and cutting expenses as fuel costs rise and an uncertain economy threatens to reduce demand for travel. Southwest, based in Dallas, has long been among the healthiest major U.S. carriers financially.

The case is Levitt v. Southwest Airlines Co, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, No. 11-08176.
Finally!!!! It's about time... Maybe this same firm will file another class action when SW decides to reneg on the CP program, which will be the next Einstein move they do...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.