Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

TLC to launch new Southwest Airlines Reality TV Series: 13 Episodes

Old Nov 16, 11, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AF1UE20111116

Tossing off lesbian kissers, loose-trousered rock stars and corpulent movie directors from its jet planes recently, Southwest Airlines has hardly shied away from publicity...

And now the Dallas-based air carrier is about to get even more national attention, with cable network TLC ordering 13 episodes of a new reality show focused on the company.
Old Nov 16, 11, 12:50 pm

Programs: WN CP
Ah, I cannot wait!
Old Nov 16, 11, 1:08 pm

Hmmm. As a completely wild guess, I'd expect this show to be unlike the customer service-focused Airline, which occasionally showed Southwest in a bad light, and instead have a stronger focus on behind-the-scenes operations.
Old Nov 16, 11, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What the article doesn't say (because it doesn't admit the UK connection in its mention of the production company or the previous Airline series) is whether, given that ITV proper is based in Britain, this new series will be a US version of an already-done British series, just as the Airline in the US following Southwest was a US version of the Airline previously done in the UK following EasyJet.
Old Nov 16, 11, 8:29 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
I want to see a RR 2.0 ticket holder come to the counter and ask to change the date or time of the flight his family is taking. "That will cost you 80,000 more points or $1600 for paid tickets." Hilarity ensues.
Old Nov 16, 11, 10:44 pm

I hope they bring back some of the old airport crew from Airline. Such a great show...I was reminiscing last week actually.
Old Nov 16, 11, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There WAS a reality TV show about Southwest, quite similar and IIRC started earlier than the reality TV show about easy jet. I forget which cable stations carried it, perhaps Bravo or A & E rather than TLC.
Old Nov 17, 11, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
I want to see a RR 2.0 ticket holder come to the counter and ask to change the date or time of the flight his family is taking. "That will cost you 80,000 more points or $1600 for paid tickets." Hilarity ensues.
Or have them be on board when someone presents a drink coupon with NO expiriation date and be told by the FA the coupon isn't valid. Even better would be if the PAX bought the coupon from WN

Or have the crew in DTW and see them tell a PAX their DTW/DEN or DTW/MDW flight is delayed over an hour and they will miss their connection and won't cover a hotel due it being weather related (from a city eight segments ago with that aircraft in a city on the other side of the country) while three competitors have flights going to DEN from DTW within 20 minutes of the WN flight and ALL three are on time.

I would love to see them film an IRROPs situation where the person is waiting 2 hours to have it handled and then have them go over to a competitor and show how IRROPs is handled when an airline interlines
Old Nov 17, 11, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jco613 View Post
I hope they bring back some of the old airport crew from Airline. Such a great show...I was reminiscing last week actually.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
There WAS a reality TV show about Southwest, quite similar and IIRC started earlier than the reality TV show about easy jet. I forget which cable stations carried it, perhaps Bravo or A & E rather than TLC.
The show was Airline and it was originally on A&E. I'm ashamed to admit that I know this but LRW (Lifetime Real Women) shows episodes of Airline M-F nights.
Old Nov 17, 11, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
Hmmm. As a completely wild guess, I'd expect this show to be unlike the customer service-focused Airline, which occasionally showed Southwest in a bad light, and instead have a stronger focus on behind-the-scenes operations.
Personally, I rather hope they do, especially here in OCC/Dispatch during both normal and irregular ops. Maybe that way folks could reach the conclusion that there's so much that goes on behind the scenes that they're not even remotely aware of. The "big picture", if you will....
Old Nov 17, 11, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Airline on A&E did certainly start earlier than the delayed broadcast of Airline UK on A&E. However, by the time A&E showed Airline UK, I think it was several years old. So the question is when did Ariline "UK" first air in the UK, compared to when Airline first aired on A&E?

(That's the problem with judging what came first, if all you see is TV in the US. Even BBC America often doesn't start showing a Brisih series until the US series copying it has started, and then they may start showing episodes of the British version from before the US version existed.)
Old Nov 17, 11, 10:51 pm

When will it start

I hope to restart my Cable TV ASAP as we were looking for better rates. I will watch the entire series.

I hope we see Michael, Colleen, Yolanda, Ivan(the guy who let a plane go early when a passenger had every right to board). Oh and those rich spoiled couple who got mad when their bags went astray when the bags were sitting there on the carousel right behind them. "We only wear expensive items". "We will never fly Southwest".

Oh and I hope to see more denied boardings from bars.

I want to be featured on an episode.
Old Nov 18, 11, 6:29 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
ZZZZZZZZ
Old Nov 18, 11, 9:00 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
I hope we see Michael, Colleen, Yolanda, Ivan (the guy who let a plane go early when a passenger had every right to board).
Did you even read the article? This series is going to be based out of DEN and BWI. The cast members you list were based out of LAX and MDW back in the days of Airline. Unless they've been transferred, you're out of luck.
Old Nov 19, 11, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
I hope we see Michael, Colleen, Yolanda, Ivan...
I want to see Gina, the cute FA.

Search this Thread