Southwest seems to be improving by the day

Old Oct 28, 11, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Southwest seems to be improving by the day

I really like the fact that Southwest is introducing Express Bag Dropoff as I'm the type of person who prints out the boarding pass at home. This will save me time from other people waiting in line to rework their ticket and check bags.

For $5 for the introductory WiFi thats a good deal and even if they raise the price to $10 per trip then thats fine.

If they keep the free bags then people won't want to fly on US Airways and other airlines. $25 each way per bag is a huge savings. People don't want to sacrifice their liquids so checking them in free will save money in the long run.

It would be interesting to see if other Airlines would waive the first bag and charge for the second. If Southwest can offer free bags then why can't Untied follow suit? Our economy seems to be getting better more business travelers etc.
Old Oct 28, 11, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Most, but not all, of the time Southwest's fares are higher than the other carriers making "free bags" a moot point.
Old Oct 28, 11, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Originally Posted by Michael El View Post
Most, but not all, of the time Southwest's fares are higher than the other carriers making "free bags" a moot point.
True, but WN's marketing has most of the kettles (and a lot of the non-kettles) believing they offer the lowest fares and free bags. Kudos to the marketing department.
Old Oct 28, 11, 7:16 pm

Programs: WN A-List, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
True, but WN's marketing has most of the kettles (and a lot of the non-kettles) believing they offer the lowest fares and free bags. Kudos to the marketing department.
Then you should be deliriously happy that only smart, frequent flyers are on your preferred airline and it relieves you of the need to ever visit this particular forum.
Old Oct 28, 11, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACEDAD View Post
Then you should be deliriously happy that only smart, frequent flyers are on your preferred airline and it relieves you of the need to ever visit this particular forum.
Whoa dude, tough day at the office?
Exactly what part of my statement is incorrect? Thanks to a great marketing strategy and execution, WN has indeed convinced most people that they have the lowest fares when that is usually not the case.
Old Oct 28, 11, 7:37 pm

Programs: WN A-List, HHonors Diamond
Whoa dude, tough day at the office?
Exactly what part of my statement is incorrect? Thanks to a great marketing strategy and execution, WN has indeed convinced most people that they have the lowest fares when that is usually not the case.
No. I'm not saying they are usually the lowest fare, but I think you using "usually" is questionable.

I had about 50 flights over the last 12 months and 45 were on WN and 5 on Delta because that's the way the prices worked out.

Obviously my personal experience can't be extrapolated, but I question whether you have the data to back up your contention either.

I just don't understand why people that don't fly WN feel the need to post here.
Old Oct 28, 11, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. I'm not saying they are usually the lowest fare, but I think you using "usually" is questionable.
I had about 50 flights over the last 12 months and 45 were on WN and 5 on Delta because that's the way the prices worked out.
Obviously my personal experience can't be extrapolated, but I question whether you have the data to back up your contention either.
I just don't understand why people that don't fly WN feel the need to post here.
Why assume that I don't fly WN? On short flights in uncrowded markets, at off peak times, at the right price, they are fine. I also buy tickets for my kids a half dozen times a year, routinely check WN but almost never book them because I can find a cheaper fare elsewhere. Obviously fares vary by market but just last week, WN wanted $330 for one way SFO-DEN while UA wanted $210 in Y, $375 in F.
Old Oct 28, 11, 7:58 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
The term "Kettles" is a pejorative stereotype and should be avoided. Use "travel novices" or a similar neutral term unless you are attempting to provoke a negative reaction and/or deletion of your post by a moderator.
Old Oct 28, 11, 8:29 pm

Why assume that I don't fly WN? On short flights in uncrowded markets, at off peak times, at the right price, they are fine. I also buy tickets for my kids a half dozen times a year, routinely check WN but almost never book them because I can find a cheaper fare elsewhere. Obviously fares vary by market but just last week, WN wanted $330 for one way SFO-DEN while UA wanted $210 in Y, $375 in F.
Ha Ha. You can fly Frontier SFO-DEN for 179.70 in Classic Plus which gives you two free bags, Stretch seating (like Economy Plus on UA) and free TV. For 149.70 you get two free bags and free TV. You don't get any of that on UA or WN. For 124.70 you get their lowest fare. People book on Southwest website assuming they always have the lowest fare, but they're frequently hundreds of $$$$ more than other airlines.
Old Oct 28, 11, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azstar View Post
Ha Ha. You can fly Frontier SFO-DEN for 179.70 in Classic Plus which gives you two free bags, Stretch seating (like Economy Plus on UA) and free TV. For 149.70 you get two free bags and free TV. You don't get any of that on UA or WN. For 124.70 you get their lowest fare. People book on Southwest website assuming they always have the lowest fare, but they're frequently hundreds of $$$$ more than other airlines.
Booked F9 for him on the inbound, but they were sold out on the return.
Old Oct 28, 11, 8:31 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
The term "Kettles" is a pejorative stereotype and should be avoided. Use "travel novices" or a similar neutral term unless you are attempting to provoke a negative reaction and/or deletion of your post by a moderator.
I like "travel naive."
Old Oct 28, 11, 11:39 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Michael El View Post
+1, double the price in my situtations, even at the last minute.

Good luck actually finding and using that $5 or $10 wifi, it is so hit or miss...

Last edited by joshua362; Oct 30, 11 at 1:47 am
Old Oct 29, 11, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Here is a good example

I was looking to fly from SJC-ABQ. US Airways wanted $313+Bag Fee. Southwest wanted $243.00. United $358, Delta $350 and United $320.

Now If I fly to New York I would go on United , Delta for $280-$300 since they offer non-stop flights and PTV on the longer routes. I also don't mind paying for buy on board meals. Considering I can take the redeye it works.

For flights from SJC-ABQ there is not a whole lot of options and good timings from SJC. United and US Air have limited schedules and due to the probability of snow I booked via PHX in December and WN had the best fare. Sometimes US Airways is cheaper and if US Airways and WN are $10 difference I book WN for the free bag rather than carrying it around. If US and WN were $50 then it would be US Airways and I would pay $25 for my bag.

Now from SJC-LAX I prefer Horizon Air since I can access the Alaska Lounge and then its a short trip where checking bags are not a priority.

At Phoenix with my Priority Pass I can go to the US Air Lounge so no problems there.

All in all WN works on the short haul 1 change or one stop flights but not on the long haul flights with 2 plane changes+1 stop. I would much rather carry my suitcase on to take the nonstop SFO-JFK flight than wasting 12 hours to get to where I am going.
Old Oct 29, 11, 12:44 am
Original Poster

One other thing

I am a seasoned traveler and am not loyal to one airline per se. I shop around and compare. I would much rather prefer to get assigned seating but will take WN over paying $200 more than I need to. If the schedule is right and the price is right then I won't discount WN.

I have known WN's theory for many years-pre internet back in the day when Southwest would mail your itinerary or the travel agent prints it on ticket stock before e-tickets and yes they can be more expensive than United. On most of my trips to Albuquerque I used Frontier from San Jose when it existed as well as United. But more than likely US Airways comes up with the best prices and times so I fly them and still get Untied Miles.

I love how the flight attendants on WN treat you and their peanuts and pretzels and drinks are no better no worse than flying US Airways on the same route. Why do people complain?

If I had to pick between Aeroflot and Southwest Southwest wins over. Just think about Aeroflot the Russian Airline and their safety record. We should be lucky that we have Southwest a safe , on-time and reliable airline.

I would much rather fly Southwest than be stuck on a Greyhound Bus or Amtrak Train in the middle of nowhere. Greyhound for roughly the same amount(or even more when you consider meals) takes over 24 hours than flying on WN which is 3-4hrs with a change of planes.

Watch this video taken onboard Greyhound and tell me who wins WN or Greyhound?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_m9R...eature=related

Gee whiz people get with it lol.
Old Oct 29, 11, 1:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire

I would hardly say WN is improving by the day. However, I also wouldn't say it has always more expensive.

Be careful of anecdotal evidence, but I check all the airlines when I fly, and only once has Delta been my carrier. Once you include the bag fee, the cheaper Delta flight isn't.

OTOH, I will say that WN's close in prices have become asinine. Those are fares I will not be buying.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: