WN points from Hilton ending 12/31/11

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: status-less.
WN points from Hilton ending 12/31/11

Received this in email today.

Dear jtaft,

To keep you informed on the latest news from Hilton HHonors™, we wanted to share an important update. Effective January 1, 2012, Hilton HHonors will no longer offer Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Points for hotel stays. You can continue to earn Rapid Rewards Points for completed stays through December 31, 2011.

With Southwest Airlines as your Preferred Airline Partner, on January 1, 2012 your account will automatically default to our Double Dip® HHonors Points and HHonors Points reward option — which earns members free stays the fastest. To continue earning points and miles after January 1, 2012, you may update your HHonors Account Profile with one of our more than 50 airline partners. A complete airline partner list can be found here.

We understand that earning rewards is important to you. Hilton HHonors is proud to be the only program in the hotel industry to offer its members both hotel points and airline miles for the same hotel stay without capacity controls or blackout dates. Throughout the year, there are also many opportunities to earn additional HHonors points, such as the current Fast Ways to Free Stays global promotion, taking place now through the end of the year.

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Hilton HHonors.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, EC Executive Elite
WN and Hilton canceling partnership

Just got this email...I was enjoying my 600 RR points every stay. Now back to sorry 250 points on a legacy or "double" Hhonors points that aren't really double. A bunch of crap!!!

----------------------------------------
Southwest Airlines Partnership Changes

Dear Sinister2c,

To keep you informed on the latest news from Hilton HHonors™, we wanted to share an important update. Effective January 1, 2012, Hilton HHonors will no longer offer Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Points for hotel stays. You can continue to earn Rapid Rewards Points for completed stays through December 31, 2011.

With Southwest Airlines as your Preferred Airline Partner, on January 1, 2012 your account will automatically default to our Double Dip® HHonors Points and HHonors Points reward option — which earns members free stays the fastest. To continue earning points and miles after January 1, 2012, you may update your HHonors Account Profile with one of our more than 50 airline partners. A complete airline partner list can be found here.

We understand that earning rewards is important to you. Hilton HHonors is proud to be the only program in the hotel industry to offer its members both hotel points and airline miles for the same hotel stay without capacity controls or blackout dates. Throughout the year, there are also many opportunities to earn additional HHonors points, such as the current Fast Ways to Free Stays global promotion, taking place now through the end of the year.

Thank you for your continued loyalty to Hilton HHonors.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
I got mine as well about 5 minutes ago.

Very disappointing.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:50 am

Hilton was probably trying get them to match the legacy 250 point system which is garbage. The 600 RR points is equivalent the the 0.5 credits they used to hand out.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Well crap Anyone have a good recommendation on another chain to switch to or are they all about equivalent as far as points earning?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by normalone
Well crap Anyone have a good recommendation on another chain to switch to or are they all about equivalent as far as points earning?
depends if you want the 600 RR points or the hotel points. Hhonors let you get both hotel and airline points which dilutes the hotel points but a good deal for RR points. Other chains give either hotel or airline, not both making hotel points more valuable.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:42 am

I thought part of the reasoning behind the switch to Rapid Rewards 2.0 was to attract more partners. We're losing things like Starwood transfer ability and Hilton earning ability, and adding things like SuperShuttle? Not sure why Southwest is continually trying to make their program less attractive.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by sinister2c
depends if you want the 600 RR points or the hotel points. Hhonors let you get both hotel and airline points which dilutes the hotel points but a good deal for RR points. Other chains give either hotel or airline, not both making hotel points more valuable.
Hilton gives you 500 miles not 250, and 500 is what the other chains give you, plus you get hilton points.

Or you can go variable miles that will give you 1 mile for every $ spent which is great on a stay over $500. You cant do variable miles on WN but you can the legacies.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Hilton gives you 500 miles not 250, and 500 is what the other chains give you, plus you get hilton points.

Or you can go variable miles that will give you 1 mile for every $ spent which is great on a stay over $500. You cant do variable miles on WN but you can the legacies.
Need to add that its only 100 miles per stay (600 towards RR) at Hampton, Homewood suites and not an option on home 2 suites. (A joke IMO)

I usually stay at hampton so earning towards RR was the best choice to redeem towards at 600 pts per stay (even better during promotional periods)
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Halo117
Need to add that its only 100 miles per stay (600 towards RR) at Hampton, Homewood suites and not an option on home 2 suites. (A joke IMO)

I usually stay at hampton so earning towards RR was the best choice to redeem towards at 600 pts per stay (even better during promotional periods)
Yeah if you stay at Hampton and use WN, WN is definitely your best partner. Before RR2.0 I had WN as my partner (unless it was an extended expensive stay and then I would do that stay for the 50% bonus HH points) and it was realy nice when they gave 1 to 1.5 credits during promos. I don't think the HH program gives that much value at Hamptons since WIFI and breakfast are included anyway, but I stay at Hiltons, HGI's and DT's mainly and the free breakfast (and wifi at DT and hiltons) is a great benefit.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred/CP, HH Diamond
Hmmm...

Well this is disappointing news. I will be Diamond with HH and A List + with WN by the year end. The HH stays helped with my WN CP, but even without them I still should make CP in 2013.

How does one go about moving status to Marriott?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Well I guess my question was answered.

I wonder if Hilton, SPG, or Marriott are contemplating leaving as well.
No more SW points from Priority Club stays
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Well I guess my question was answered.

No more SW points from Priority Club stays
And don't forget marriott made some changes as well about five years ago. You used to get a full credit at every full service marriott and renasance and that got changed to a half credit.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whitfed
How does one go about moving status to Marriott?
I wouldn't be switching from Hilton to Marriott is this is your ONLY issue. At Marriott you can't double dip and IIRC fairfield inn stays don't receive WN points.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Perhaps the WN contract with HHonors was up for renewal and WN wanted to significantly increase the cost of RR points. That would be the only logical reason. In this economy, I totally understand that HHonors wouldn't agree to a significant increase in costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.