Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

anything wrong with getting off at an intermediate stop?

Old Oct 7, 11, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: wn

If I buy a ticket from point a to point c that stops at point b . If I get off at point b instead of going all the way to c will anything happen to me? It is cheaper this way. Thanks. fyi - no bags. flying up and back for a funeral.

Last edited by mbres; Oct 7, 11 at 4:46 pm
Old Oct 7, 11, 2:00 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
It's called hidden city ticketing and Southwest is the only airline that explicitly allows it.
Old Oct 7, 11, 2:31 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Just for politeness, tell the GA as you arrive that you are doing this so that the OA on your next flight will not try to page you. They will not mind and may let them sell a now empty seat.
Old Oct 7, 11, 3:37 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by mbres View Post
If I buy a ticket from point a to point c that stops at point b . If I get off at point b instead of going all the way to c will anything happen to me? It is cheaper this way. Thanks. fyi - no bags. flying up and back for a funeral.

Make sure you buy two one-ways...if you skip the b->c segment, they might cancel your return.

You'll have to buy b->a on the return as a c->b->a will not work.
Old Oct 7, 11, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
You shouldn't have any problems providing you don't have to gate check your bag (and unless you are one of the last ones to board that shouldn't be an issue) or there is an irrops situation with your flight. If southwest explicitely allows the hidden city then not sure in an irrops what they would do if you wanted rerouted to the city the plane was stopping in instead of the scheduled arrival city.

But as mentioned make sure you tell them upon landing what you are doing so it won't mess up the FA's through count.
Old Oct 7, 11, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. No bags. I'm flying from BWI-BOS for a funeral and flying home the same day. It is less expensive to pay for the return going THRU Bwi and change planes to ORF than it is to just pay to go to BWI. It is the return home so no issue about cancelling rest of resi. I did book it and did 2 one ways. I feel guilty doing it though but I know many people do. It is just that it is so expensive to buy last minute to just go up for the day for a funeral but if I drove up I'd have to miss work on Monday and there goes my 8 hours of pay .

If I tell the gate agent do I make up a story as to why I'm not continuing on?

Also, what is iirops situation?
Old Oct 7, 11, 5:03 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by mbres View Post
If I tell the gate agent do I make up a story as to why I'm not continuing on?

Also, what is iirops situation?
No need to make up a story...you can be upfront about hidden city ticketing on WN (total opposite on other airlines).

Irrops is irregular operations....like if for some reason (weather or airport closure) they decide to go straight to ORF without stopping at BWI. Unlikely, but if it happens, you'll have to find your own way to BWI....but it probably does not apply in your case as the next segment is on a different plane anyway (if I read you correctly).
Old Oct 7, 11, 5:36 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Just to be clear, your intention is to fly BWI-BOS itinerary in the morning then BOS-BWI-ORF (and throwing away BWI-ORF) in the evening? it so, this is perfectly legit and you have nothing to worry about outside of BWI being closed and having them attempt to route you straight to ORF.

As I said already, Southwest explicitly allows this behavior so it is not necessary to make up a story. Again, the only drawback is that you are essentially on your own if something goes wrong while you're making your way back home.
Old Oct 7, 11, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

alggag - thanks. You do have it correct. Also, there is a change of planes in Baltimore. Weather is supposed to be beautiful so hopefully no problems.

Thanks all for your help! Much appreciated.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: