FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Drink Coupon Experiences Since 9/1/11 (*NO* ranting) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1262336-drink-coupon-experiences-since-9-1-11-no-ranting.html)

wine_lover Sep 2, 2011 2:50 pm

Drink Coupon Experiences Since 9/1/11 (*NO* ranting)

Just wondering how many people have had success using drink coupons that have no expiration dates. I asked the FA on a trip out on 8/29 and she said that she would still accept them beyond 8/31 (she was gorgeous btw OAK to ALB) but her co-workers wouldn't. On the return flight on 9/1 the FA wouldn't accept it (different FA). She offered to take it from me and destroy it, but I said, "No, Thanks".

Mod Note: This thread is restricted to actual experiences and direct comments thereon. All or most of the general drink coupon policy B&M posts have been moved to the mega-thread. Please fell free to help by alerting us to posts that should be reclassified.

ftnoob Sep 2, 2011 10:40 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk, wine_lover.

It also would be interesting to hear whether FAs are enforcing the expiration dates on the new fangled drink coupons, the ones with the partial name/RR number. I think August or September this year is the first month with any of those coupons expiring.

dlaue Sep 3, 2011 3:23 am

My "experience" will be to dump 15 3/4 books into the trash. :mad:

millere2 Sep 3, 2011 8:38 am

I was on IND to TPA yesterday and a older couple sitting next to me pulled them out. I told them I think they were expired at the end of Aug and they said there was no expiration on them. I told them they may not take them because they have new ones. I was curious to see, but then they never tried using them. They told me they had a drawer full of like 200 of them. Such a waste....

A side note on that flight I boarded B28 because I lost track of time and checked in 10 min late of T-24 and still got the legroom exit row window seat. ^

goghd Sep 3, 2011 11:05 am

On 9/2 used the old drink coupon on BWI-AUS. But on the SAN-SFO on 9/2 the FA made an announcement that this flight would not accept them.

Only have 2 unused so no big loss as DW and I have been using our up over the last 6 months or so.

It is a shame they are rationing the free drinks now. Still flying enough so I plenty of the new ones. And now that Air Tran gave me elite I should be riding in the front with free drinks.

InkUnderNails Sep 3, 2011 11:10 am

Last night, 9/2, the gentleman across the aisle from me presented an old tan coupon that was refused. The FA ask if he wanted to use CC and he shook his head no and ordered nothing.

BarbiJKM Sep 5, 2011 11:20 am

We used two old tan coupons on 9/3 on a flight from LAX-PHX, and the FA took them without batting an eye! It's better to try than to throw them out; YMMV.

lougord99 Sep 5, 2011 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM (Post 17058057)
We used two old tan coupons on 9/3 on a flight from LAX-PHX, and the FA took them without batting an eye!

Please don't be that specific. I wouldn't put it past SWA to find out who the FA's on that flight were and have a talk.

laxabq Sep 5, 2011 5:40 pm

Yes, I wouldn't put it past them either. If they treat their customers
this shoddy, i doubt they are treating their employees much
better. It always woks that way at large companies.

Vinodavid Sep 5, 2011 8:42 pm

I got shot down on 9/1 from oak to las.

I haven't flown on SW in 3 months and only will now if I need to bring my companion.

On 1/1, when my CP expires, my patronage of SW will go in the dumper with my now worthless drink coupons.

370+ flights over the last four years to nada.

KC Sep 6, 2011 10:55 am

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM (Post 17058057)
We used two old tan coupons on 9/3 on a flight from LAX-PHX, and the FA took them without batting an eye! It's better to try than to throw them out; YMMV.

I had a FA (honestly don't recall the flight or route) say "I will never turn those away." I agree, better to try (but have some of the expiring ones available just in case.

In principle, I've got a problem with the new policy; in practice, it probably won't impact me much as I don't use them all that often; never on my outbound flights (which are morning flights where I'm going straight to work) and only occasionally on my return flights.

rajuabju Sep 6, 2011 4:30 pm

My LAX-OAK (one of my last, sadly, as I'm almost done with all my credits/points whatever they want to call them) on 9/2 .. refused taking the old coupons both ways.

Oh well. 4 coupons gone to waste in all.

2 more free flights waiting to be redeemed.

BarbiJKM Sep 7, 2011 10:53 am

Originally Posted by lougord99 (Post 17059243)
Please don't be that specific. I wouldn't put it past SWA to find out who the FA's on that flight were and have a talk.

I wasn't that specific -- there are oodles of flights from LAX-PHX every day; how can you tell which one I was on?

jamesteroh Sep 7, 2011 11:02 am

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM (Post 17069746)
I wasn't that specific -- there are oodles of flights from LAX-PHX every day; how can you tell which one I was on?

They wouldn't. But I am sure they would know the FA accepted the vouchers if they have to turn in their coupons to account for the consumed liquor on board.

joshua362 Sep 7, 2011 11:21 am

For the first time ever, I sat in 1C for a 4hr flight and had at least 6 drinks using the new style coupons and had a front row seat to the drink process.

FWIW, my coupons went right into the garbage. Every time I ordered, it was entered into the handheld. Towards the end of the flight, the liquor bottles were inventoried several times over.