FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Best day/time to use a buddy pass (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1260136-best-day-time-use-buddy-pass.html)

barnold23 Sep 18, 2011 9:28 am

Best day/time to use a buddy pass

My husband and I are flying from MCO to PVD for a weekend for a wedding. I am flying with a regular ticket because I have to be back to work, and he's got a buddy pass. We want the best chances of us being on the same flights and him returning the same day.
Options are
Thursday night- Oct 13th. It would have to be the last flight, nonstop at 7:40
or Friday morning Oct 14th, 7:55 am is the earliest now and is nonstop.
Of course the Friday has more options if he can't get on the flight I am on..

The return is Sunday.
6:30 AM Nonstop
7:55 AM Nonstop
11:25 AM Nonstop
11:55 AM 4:40 PM 501/866 1 stop Change Planes BWI
4:35 PM Nonstop
6:25 PM Nonstop
Being on a tight budget, I'd rather to the 6:30 or 4:35 because they are cheaper. and I'd also rather the 4:35 because I don't like early mornings, and I want to make the most out of my overpriced weekend. (Which is why Thursday night would also be ideal, but understood, that's the last flight, and he may not get on)
I'm not as worried if we are on the same flight on sunday. I could bring him to an earlier flight than I take just to ensure he'll be home in case he's working then.
Thanks for the advice in advance

millere2 Sep 18, 2011 10:46 am

Welcome to FT.

I used to fly nonrev about 10 years ago on United when I was still a dependent of my parents. Start early is the best advice. If he misses the 6:30a he does not have to wait much longer for the next. Also, earlier flights such as that are ones many people don't want to get out of bed for so they don't book them. good luck

SDCA Sep 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by barnold23 (Post 17129459)
My husband and I are flying from MCO to PVD for a weekend for a wedding. I am flying with a regular ticket because I have to be back to work, and he's got a buddy pass. We want the best chances of us being on the same flights and him returning the same day.
Options are
Thursday night- Oct 13th. It would have to be the last flight, nonstop at 7:40
or Friday morning Oct 14th, 7:55 am is the earliest now and is nonstop.
Of course the Friday has more options if he can't get on the flight I am on..

The return is Sunday.
6:30 AM Nonstop
7:55 AM Nonstop
11:25 AM Nonstop
11:55 AM 4:40 PM 501/866 1 stop Change Planes BWI
4:35 PM Nonstop
6:25 PM Nonstop
Being on a tight budget, I'd rather to the 6:30 or 4:35 because they are cheaper. and I'd also rather the 4:35 because I don't like early mornings, and I want to make the most out of my overpriced weekend. (Which is why Thursday night would also be ideal, but understood, that's the last flight, and he may not get on)
I'm not as worried if we are on the same flight on sunday. I could bring him to an earlier flight than I take just to ensure he'll be home in case he's working then.
Thanks for the advice in advance

Wouldn't it be quicker and easier to ask the person that gave you the buddy pass instead? :D

alggag Sep 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Speaking as somebody who did a lot of family pass flying I will give you the same advice I give everybody who asks about flying on them: get with the person who provided them and figure it out. When you travel on passes you are at the mercy of the system and you don't get to make solid plans or pick the "good" flights.

barnold23 Sep 18, 2011 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by alggag (Post 17130486)
Speaking as somebody who did a lot of family pass flying I will give you the same advice I give everybody who asks about flying on them: get with the person who provided them and figure it out. When you travel on passes you are at the mercy of the system and you don't get to make solid plans or pick the "good" flights.

I would do that, but We got them for someone who got them from someone... who got them from someone's daughter...ha. So I don't know the person, and they are apparently hard to get in touch with..

expert7700 Sep 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by barnold23 (Post 17131134)
I would do that, but We got them for someone who got them from someone... who got them from someone's daughter...ha. So I don't know the person, and they are apparently hard to get in touch with..

that's a shame, because the employee who was given the ticket can actually call to get the flight loads as well.

Best advice I've read on this topic is to take the early flights. For the origin trip, if you live near the airport maybe you want to show up and try your luck the night before as well.

Morning flights are often less full-People oversleep and miss the flight, get caught in morning traffic. Unless it's a commuter flight, I've seen monday morning CLE-MDW, ORF-BWI be full with 60 A+ listers in suits. They all know each other, gate agents all know them, etc.

If your other family member is flying 'full fare' (kind of doubt that, since 2 WGA fares are usually less than 1 full fare), and you REALLY want them on the same flight as you, they could always stay behind at the airport and keep changing to a later and later flight as needed.

grain Sep 19, 2011 3:54 am

employees have access to the loads on the flights. so im sure one of us can give you a idea on what flight has the best outlook for getting on.

carwag25 Sep 24, 2011 11:08 am

My ex roommate is a WN FA and always suggests the first flight of the day. Lots of business travelers miss the first flight.