FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Converting OLD credits into NEW award (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1256159-converting-old-credits-into-new-award.html)

daddyo_daddyo Sep 6, 2011 10:21 am

Converting OLD credits into NEW award

Southwest.com tells me I need 2258 more points to convert my old credits into a new award.

Once I convert into a new award, do I have to actually book that award or can I hold onto it and use it within a year?

carraher Sep 6, 2011 10:32 am

No and Yes. I wouldn't exercise the option until near the expiration date of your existing credits though. That way you will have a full year from the date you make the transfer. No sense doing it now unless you have firm plans to use the award.

daddyo_daddyo Sep 6, 2011 10:35 am

Originally Posted by carraher (Post 17063339)
No and Yes. I wouldn't exercise the option until near the expiration date of your existing credits though. That way you will have a full year from the date you make the transfer. No sense doing it now unless you have firm plans to use the award.

Thanks. My first credit expires 1/15/12, so I'll convert it maybe 1/10/12, or is that cutting it too close?

toomanybooks Sep 6, 2011 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by daddyo_daddyo (Post 17063351)
Thanks. My first credit expires 1/15/12, so I'll convert it maybe 1/10/12, or is that cutting it too close?

Should be fine, but I personally would give it a few more days than that.

brianm27 Sep 7, 2011 1:26 pm

Be aware that the availability of award flights for the "old" credits is very slim. I would call well in advance of my travel and talk to an agent about availability before doing the conversion.

azgrunge Sep 9, 2011 6:29 pm

I have not had a problem finding space for old credits on many routes while on others, a month or more is needed. I do have a question though. I am in the same situation where I need 248 pts (my wife does) and we are out of country til next summer so my options are limited. Does anyone have a suggestion for earning 250 pts in the next 4 months while being out of country?
Thanks

Bushwacker Sep 9, 2011 7:17 pm

Can you stay a night in a partner hotel?

toomanybooks Sep 9, 2011 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by azgrunge (Post 17083945)
I have not had a problem finding space for old credits on many routes while on others, a month or more is needed. I do have a question though. I am in the same situation where I need 248 pts (my wife does) and we are out of country til next summer so my options are limited. Does anyone have a suggestion for earning 250 pts in the next 4 months while being out of country?
Thanks

Buy a $100 Marriott gift card and get 1200 WN points bonus.

ftnoob Sep 9, 2011 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by daddyo_daddyo (Post 17063351)
My first credit expires 1/15/12, so I'll convert it maybe 1/10/12, or is that cutting it too close?

For many (most?) people at that time of year it isn't going to matter, but if you care about having the Award expire later than 10-Jan, there is no reason to do anything before 14-Jan. It is possible 15-Jan would also be fine, but we don't yet know that for sure.

carraher Sep 10, 2011 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by azgrunge (Post 17083945)
Thanks

Do you have a SWA visa? If so, your purchases, including those abroad, should easily earn the necessary points. Be aware, however, that Chase might impose a 1% surcharge on transactions in a foreign currency.

SCGustafson Sep 10, 2011 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by carraher (Post 17087727)
Do you have a SWA visa? If so, your purchases, including those abroad, should easily earn the necessary points. Be aware, however, that Chase might impose a 1% surcharge on transactions in a foreign currency.

Try more like 3% on foreign transactions and not the greatest exchange rates.

wine_lover Sep 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by brianm27 (Post 17070703)
Be aware that the availability of award flights for the "old" credits is very slim. I would call well in advance of my travel and talk to an agent about availability before doing the conversion.

Bingo! Tried to use one of the old awards and nothing was available unless booked more than 6 months in advance.

azgrunge Sep 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by carraher (Post 17087727)

I had one but cancelled it after annual fee hit this year. It wouldn't have mattered as I am trying to get points for my wife, not me. I have 50k points. I need 249 for my wife. Hotel stays are most likely out as I my financial situation changed drastically with this move overseas.

Does anyone know how I can get 250 points?

Thx

ftnoob Sep 14, 2011 10:55 pm

It is such a common problem that there are several suggestions in the Wiki FAQ.

The recent Consolidated post-transition orphaned credits thread should also be of interest.

Worst case scenario you could spend $50 to buy 2,000 points. After using 254 to top off the Award your wife would have 1,746 points remaining, worth $29.10 toward WGA fares. So the net cost of topping off the Award would be $20.90.

jamesteroh Sep 15, 2011 6:55 am

Originally Posted by azgrunge (Post 17111931)
I had one but cancelled it after annual fee hit this year. It wouldn't have mattered as I am trying to get points for my wife, not me. I have 50k points. I need 249 for my wife. Hotel stays are most likely out as I my financial situation changed drastically with this move overseas.

Does anyone know how I can get 250 points?

Thx

Is there anyone in the US that you want to send flowers to. Just use teleflora and have WN as the partner.

I would recomend the dining program but that would be a pain with you being overseas. About the only way you could get that to work would be if someone you knew would let you register a credit card of theirs to your account and then they would buy a dinner at a participant using that card.

Other than that a hotel with a partner is about your only other hope. I wouldn't recomend the WN visa seeing the annual fee and high foreign currency transaction fee.