Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

A-List Preferred are now A+ on AirTran; AirTran A+ elites get SWA A- status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A-List Preferred are now A+ on AirTran; AirTran A+ elites get SWA A- status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:36 pm
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
I have yet to receive this email and I was wondering if there is some sort of link I could use to get to the place where I can exchange status?

I think I may have opted out of emails from Southwest recently.
Hi,
Send me a PM with your information and I'll check on this for you.

Thanks!

Verity
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
Double check your spam-box...that's where I found my email from Airtran.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:01 am

Will status apply to existing reservations?

I received the email on Tuesday and submitted the information immediately. I checked my RR account this morning, and it indicates, "Current Tier Status: A-List until 12/30/2012". ^

Will A-List automatically be applied to existing reservations for automatic check-in purposes? My (legacy) experience is with DL where one had to manually re-apply their SkyMiles number or contact a call center to have the change applied.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Your DL experience will prevail.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:58 pm

I called Rapid Rewards Customer Service and was able to update 4 PNRs in less than 8 min (including 5 min of IVR and hold time). Now I can sleep a little later Sunday morning without having to pay for EBCI.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I wonder if the FL GA's will be able to tell the real A+ members from the WN invaders? If so I'd imagine there may be some sort of preference shown.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Eh. I've already moved my Big city flying over to Delta in hopes I'll at least maintain DL*S next year. The match to WN A-List will help, as I'm clear up here in Alaska and typically will wait for AS to have a "once every few months" fare sale and buy down to Seattle, then hop the others all over the CONUS.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I wonder if the FL GA's will be able to tell the real A+ members from the WN invaders? If so I'd imagine there may be some sort of preference shown.
I wonder why you suspect that. There is no incentive for them to mistreat their customers that I can imagine.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Airtran A+ Elite
I doubt it but I would hope so. People who actually earned Elite should get preference for the Airtran Elite benefits for the last few months we have them before Southwest takes them away altogether. Especially since the reciprocal benefits on Southwest aren't anywhere near as good as the ones for WN flyers on Airtran.

I actually don't really know the elite upgrade process for Airtran but I think it has to do with check in time and fare/price paid for the flight. I was on a flight last Thursday from ATL-TPA and there were 13 Elites for 1 business class seat and I checked in about 4 minutes after you could start checking in and I didn't get the seat. No big deal though as I had a 2 seat exit row to myself on the 717 since overall it wasn't all that full.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by westau
I doubt it but I would hope so. People who actually earned Elite should get preference for the Airtran Elite benefits for the last few months we have them before Southwest takes them away altogether. Especially since the reciprocal benefits on Southwest aren't anywhere near as good as the ones for WN flyers on Airtran.
That's what I was thinking as well. The A+ members are getting nothing in this "enhancement".
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:35 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
That's what I was thinking as well. The A+ members are getting nothing in this "enhancement".
There is no in-flight benefit, and the 25% points bonus is tiny, but express security lines and not having to check in at T-24 on the dot are real time savers. I value the time savings higher than all the rest.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by nsx
There is no in-flight benefit, and the 25% points bonus is tiny, but express security lines and not having to check in at T-24 on the dot are real time savers. I value the time savings higher than all the rest.
The biggest time saver for me is the express bag check. Will miss it when I loose A-list.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Took advantage of this reciprocal elite offer to get A+ Elite on FL last year. My A+ Elite status expires today, 8/25/2012. During the past year, I only flew two revenue FL flights, not enough to requalify for A+ Elite in the FL program. Any word on if FL will continue to offer the reciprocal benefits for WN A+ members? Do I need to call and tell FL I am still a WN A+ member and to extend my FL A+ Elite status? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by chuckworth
Took advantage of this reciprocal elite offer to get A+ Elite on FL last year. My A+ Elite status expires today, 8/25/2012. During the past year, I only flew two revenue FL flights, not enough to requalify for A+ Elite in the FL program. Any word on if FL will continue to offer the reciprocal benefits for WN A+ members? Do I need to call and tell FL I am still a WN A+ member and to extend my FL A+ Elite status? Thanks in advance.
Same situation as Chuck.

Just now called the A+ Elite line, and the story was "Southwest RR members with status were given complimentary status on AirTran in August 2011 for one year (expiring today). The last thing we have been told is that to retain/renew A+ status on Air Tran, these Southwest RR members would need to have flown the required 12 segments over the past year".

The agent (very nice young lady, BTW) did say that "everything seems to be changing by the hour here" (duh!), and it's possible one of the A+ supervisors may authorize an exception for Southwest RR members with status. You should send an email via the link at the bottom of the AirTran website".

Southwest A-List & Companion Pass for several year and A-List Select since RR2.0 - looks like I'll requalify for both for 2013 in another week or so. No idea what/if that counts towards as far as AirTran goes.

I'm sending the email to Air Tran and will report back if/when I hear from them.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by steved5480
Same situation as Chuck.

Just now called the A+ Elite line, and the story was "Southwest RR members with status were given complimentary status on AirTran in August 2011 for one year (expiring today). The last thing we have been told is that to retain/renew A+ status on Air Tran, these Southwest RR members would need to have flown the required 12 segments over the past year".

The agent (very nice young lady, BTW) did say that "everything seems to be changing by the hour here" (duh!), and it's possible one of the A+ supervisors may authorize an exception for Southwest RR members with status. You should send an email via the link at the bottom of the AirTran website".

Southwest A-List & Companion Pass for several year and A-List Select since RR2.0 - looks like I'll requalify for both for 2013 in another week or so. No idea what/if that counts towards as far as AirTran goes.

I'm sending the email to Air Tran and will report back if/when I hear from them.
UPDATE as promised---

After 10 days of no response from Air Tran, I called them back about 6pm CDT. "We sent you an email on August 27th adivising that as a valued Southwest Airlines A-List Select member, you can extend your Air Tran A+ Elite membership by paying the nominal $399 annual fee". Seriously?

I never received the email, which is dissapointing because THAT one would be worthy of framing :-)

Must say that the Air Tran C/S folks (all 2 of them that I've spoken with) couldn't have been nicer. I thanked the young man for his time.

Oh...in the meantime, I re-qualified for Southwest Airlines A-List Select and Companion Pass over the past weekend.

Life goes on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.