Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Best WN Benefit Ever: Fly as Your Own Companion!

The Best WN Benefit Ever: Fly as Your Own Companion!

Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:03 am

The real question though, do you get two bags of peanuts and two sodas still?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by grt2106
The real question though, do you get two bags of peanuts and two sodas still?
Yes, Yes.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Really not happy that this policy only applies to COS. As a non-COS, I have on occasion purchased two tickets in order to have more space on a flight or airline where F was not available. WN will not even sell two tickets to a non-COS, but they will sell two tickets to COS or give a free second seat to a COS who is elite.

Basically, COS are getting special treatment that is denied to non-COS and in my view that is
+1 Also don't think the blue-sleeve pre-boarding is necessary though I gather it is the method for keeping COS from sitting in exit rows. FYI I understand WN will sell 2 tix to anyone travelling with Cellos, etc. so there are loopholes.

I don't buy the line that this would require significantly more inventory. The vast majority would still use CPs for spouses, etc. rather than to get a little more shoulder space.

Not being able to use exit rows would be a significant deterrent though personally I value the middle seat more than the legroom (and the sole exit row aisle seat with unlimited legroom is rarely avail when I board).
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
+1 Also don't think the blue-sleeve pre-boarding is necessary though I gather it is the method for keeping COS from sitting in exit rows. FYI I understand WN will sell 2 tix to anyone travelling with Cellos, etc. so there are loopholes.

I don't buy the line that this would require significantly more inventory. The vast majority would still use CPs for spouses, etc. rather than to get a little more shoulder space.

Not being able to use exit rows would be a significant deterrent though personally I value the middle seat more than the legroom (and the sole exit row aisle seat with unlimited legroom is rarely avail when I board).
There has been a recent change and the blue sleeve is no longer required. I still preboard. There are two primary reasons. The first is so that it will provide the highest chance of two seats being together. I am A+ anyway, so I would not have to preboard except for reason 2. The boarding screen shows how may COS passengers are to be on the flight. These have to be accounted for when boarding and it is easiest to do this at the preboard time. It is the same time that jump seat riders LEO board as well. It gets us oddballs out of the way, so the regular boarding can proceed smoothly.

The COS policy is not in place to strictly benefit the COS. It is there to encourage us to take an opportunity to travel in a way that does not discomfort those that must travel with us. It is as much for the non-COS as it is for us. If everyone like me took advantage of the program, we all would get a comfortable seat and no one would have to sit by the occasional overlarge seatmate. WN gets the maximum revenue for every seat and everyone gets to their destination happier.

I appreciate the WN CP COS program. I am more comfortable and the people that must sit with me are more comfortable. The program is fair to the point that even if I did not have CP status, I would buy the extra seat. More of us should.

I also agree that if anyone wants to buy two seats, or even a whole row, they should have that opportunity. I see no reason to apply it only to COS, but there may be a reason of which I have not thought.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I also agree that if anyone wants to buy two seats, or even a whole row, they should have that opportunity. I see no reason to apply it only to COS, but there may be a reason of which I have not thought.
Because, as usual, WN's policies only think about the bottom line.

In most situations, it is much cheaper to buy 2 WGA fares than BS. WN wants to force people to buy BS.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99
Because, as usual, WN's policies only think about the bottom line.

In most situations, it is much cheaper to buy 2 WGA fares than BS. WN wants to force people to buy BS.
But would they not sell out the low fare bucket sooner, forcing more people into a higher bucket?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Yes, but you and I are not in WN's money management division.

To the best of my knowledge, WN is the only airline that does not allow you to buy 2 seats on a flight unless you are COS or have a large musical instrument.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
So could someone make their instrument a companion? Say you're a "musician" and you need to take your cello every time you fly.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I agree people should be able to buy two seats or a row. Only problem I could see with that is how WN handles boarding. It would mean allowing the customer to preboard to assure all the seats together. The other problem is a tight connection. What happens if the PAX only has a 25 minute connecction and the first plane is late and they are boarding C by the time he gets to the gate?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I agree people should be able to buy two seats or a row. Only problem I could see with that is how WN handles boarding. It would mean allowing the customer to preboard to assure all the seats together. The other problem is a tight connection. What happens if the PAX only has a 25 minute connecction and the first plane is late and they are boarding C by the time he gets to the gate?
As a COS, they know I am booked into two seats and that I am coming. Since it is a connection, the system knows that I am on the first flight and the time the flight arrived. They are supposed to hold two seats together for me until a certain time, I do not know what it is and it may be variable, after which they will release them. They could do the same with non COS, but if enough people did it, it could overwhelm the system making it all unworkable.

A COS is also linked to the second seat. In other words, wherever he goes the seat goes. If he does a VDB, both seats are released. Conceivably, a non COS with two seats might want to release just one seat on an oversell and get compensation. This would create a difficult to handle situation and would even facilitate speculative booking just to make a profit on an oversell, like scalping. There would have to be a rule that says if one seat VDB's all do and that the compensation may have to be modified.

As for the cello, it must fly in a bulkhead window seat, so the passenger gets the middle. Here are the rules:

Are there other reasons to purchase additional seating?

Yes. Customers wishing to secure an item in an aircraft seat such as a musical item, a child restraint device for an infant, etc., must purchase an additional ticket. However, these Customers have other options, such as holding an infant under the age of two as a lap child or placing the instrument in an onboard storage space or in the cargo hold. We are sensitive to the fact that a large Customer has no option regarding seating space. For that reason, we offer a refund of the additional seat purchased by a Customer of size as long as the flight does not oversell.
Musical Instruments

If your instrument does not meet the sizing requirements for carryon items (10"x16"x24"), it will be handled as checked baggage provided you do not wish to purchase a seat for the instrument.
In the event you are traveling with a musical instrument that is larger than our sizing requirements for carryon luggage and is fragile in nature, you may purchase a seat for the instrument and carry it in the cabin under the following conditions:
The instrument must fit in the seat without blocking aircraft signage and be secured with a seatbelt.
The instrument must be placed in the first row and in a seat closer to the window than any other Customer in that row.
Reservations must be made and a ticket must be purchased at a charge no greater than the Child's Fare. Musical instruments cannot be transported in place of a free companion under any fare promotion.
Instruments that are transported in a soft-sided case or other packaging that is not strong enough to protect the instrument under normal baggage handling conditions will be conditionally accepted, which means that Southwest assumes no liability for any damage sustained to the item during transport.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
As for the cello, it must fly in a bulkhead window seat, so the passenger gets the middle.
I didn't realize that about flying with a musical instrument. Hopefully the person with a cello is the first to board and the FA's are also aware of it so they can warn through passengers not to sit in the bulkhead.

I would still love to fly on a flight with the penguins. I can just see the DYKWIA's complaining about losing their upgrade to a penguin
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
As for the cello, it must fly in a bulkhead window seat, so the passenger gets the middle. Here are the rules:
Thanks Ink for the clarification.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would still love to fly on a flight with the penguins. I can just see the DYKWIA's complaining about losing their upgrade to a penguin
This would absolutely make my day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.