Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL ad: Moo! Tired of the cattle call..

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by spineangel
And another flyer starting to digest the gospel! ^
It would be nice if you knew something about the people posting here before you chose to post about them.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 5:42 pm

I took it as funny, lighten up.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
You are correct. I will lighten out.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I board first (or close enough to it) on UA, CO, US, AA, and WN. The WN process is cleaner and more civilized because there are no gate lice to fight through. We're already queued *before* the process starts. On UA, we cram in a mob right up to the red carpet and then whomever squeezes out of that mob enters a queue of 2-3 people on the carpet.

Of course, this is all my perception: a better proxy for "civilized boarding process" would probably average time to turn around an airplane.
I don't recall many mob queues on FL and DL and, like you, I board among the first. The GAs attend to wheel chairs and special needs pax before scanning through elites and business. They do at least two announcements about boarding priority, usually pre-recorded. FL opens the process to elites and business together - at least lately it has done so.

Lufthansa boards international widebody's at -15 to scheduled departure and closes the door right on time. Both Atlanta and Frankfurt.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:16 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by LegalTender
I don't recall many mob queues on FL and DL and, like you, I board among the first.
Can't say about FL, but my experiences with DL this year at ATL, MSY, PHX, SLC, and LAX all have had a throng of people waiting to board. It's even worse on AS. A few weeks ago in SLC, I saw at least 3/4 of the F cabin standing around looking like idiots in the SP line to board a flight up to PDX. Some were there a good 20-25 minutes.

I'm always in zone 1 on DL so I don't usually hang around to see what everyone is doing after boarding starts, but pushing through that line isn't the most enjoyable thing in the world.

ETA: By the way, anyone who wants a good laugh, be sure to check out this thread from the DL page. It's currently 695 posts long.

Last edited by tusphotog; Sep 5, 2011 at 10:27 pm
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't recall many mob queues on FL and DL
Read the UA and US boards in particular. Discussing mob queues is its own subgenre on both boards.

Lufthansa boards international widebody's at -15 to scheduled departure and closes the door right on time. Both Atlanta and Frankfurt.
Good for them. I wish UA and AA would figure out what they're doing and copy it. (I also like it how LH loads F pax *last* at FRA and perhaps other places where they have an F lounge. I've only flown them once in F out of FRA and I was the last person to board a 744. ^)
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:54 am

I wish UA and AA would figure out what they're doing and copy it. (I also like it how LH loads F pax *last* at FRA and perhaps other places where they have an F lounge. I've only flown them once in F out of FRA and I was the last person to board a 744. ^)
Never experienced a domestic boarding process go as smoothly as LH widebody's.

Thai Airways also boards F last - even without a lounge. Same result. Fifteen minutes total.

Originally Posted by tusphotog
A few weeks ago in SLC, I saw at least 3/4 of the F cabin standing around looking like idiots in the SP line to board a flight up to PDX. Some were there a good 20-25 minutes.
I'll be in SLC next week. Three-fourths of the F cabin waiting 20-25 minutes to board standing in the wrong queue?

Hope we can download video here!!
Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:27 am

The irony is that if you value, um, "class and dignity" (and consider a good F experience on a commercial airliner to be a proxy for that) you pretty much have to fly the *other* alliance partners of the U.S. legacies since none of the U.S. legacies operates a truly world-class premium product.

And when you are just comparing short-haul narrowbodies in the U.S., it's actually WN that has the more civilized, higher frills, and usually higher cost experience.

I board first (or close enough to it) on UA, CO, US, AA, and WN. The WN process is cleaner and more civilized because there are no gate lice to fight through. We're already queued *before* the process starts. On UA, we cram in a mob right up to the red carpet and then whomever squeezes out of that mob enters a queue of 2-3 people on the carpet.

Of course, this is all my perception: a better proxy for "civilized boarding process" would probably average time to turn around an airplane.
On UA, I've seen people break out into fistfights over who cut in line for boarding. That doesn't happen in WN, where with the current system there is a clear boarding order number printed on every boarding pass. The idea that UA's boarding process is the more civilized one is silly, in my opinion.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by suranyi
On UA, I've seen people break out into fistfights over who cut in line for boarding. That doesn't happen in WN, where with the current system there is a clear boarding order number printed on every boarding pass. The idea that UA's boarding process is the more civilized one is silly, in my opinion.
Apparently United was getting a lot of flak.

They re-instated zone boarding June 8.

Originally Posted by UA Insider

Beginning Jun. 8, United will return to boarding by zones. Among other things, this should directly improve the experience for the folks who purchase Economy Plus by ensuring they aren’t in the last boarding group. In addition, we’ve found a way for our combined airline to support zone boarding, and expect to introduce zone boarding to Continental in the coming year.

Also on Jun. 8, we’ll be adjusting our announcements to be simpler, shorter, and create better separation throughout the Elite boarding process. While all premier customers will continue to use the carpeted lane, we intend to manage this better through these new announcements. Uniformed Military and Global Services members will be invited to board as part of the preliminary announcement. Then we will board First Class along with 1K and Platinum members, followed by Business Class (on three-cabin aircraft), followed by Premier Executive and Gold members, followed by Premier and Silver members.

Scott O’Leary
Managing Director, Customer Solutions
United Airlines
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Apparently United was getting a lot of flak.

They re-instated zone boarding June 8.
I flew UA out of Hong Kong back to SFO earlier this year. They had us lined up in "zone" numbers. They lined us up just like the old days where SWA had 3 different queu, 1-30,31-60,61-90. Just like cattles.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
To conclude the thought: if it was feasible for United to have a 30-yard-long set of poles with numbers on them, with all 250 passengers holding BP's with unique numbers on them, I would love it.

No matter where you stood in the queue - Global Services down to basic Premier/Silver - it would delouse the entire boarding process.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Zone boarding an RJ.

Zone boarding an A-300.

Zone Boarding a 747.

Boarding a WN 737.

Business Select
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I wonder if any of those udderly orderly passengers can claim themselves as their own CP.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by SDCA
I flew UA out of Hong Kong back to SFO earlier this year. They had us lined up in "zone" numbers. They lined us up just like the old days where SWA had 3 different queu, 1-30,31-60,61-90. Just like cattles.
No assigned seating?

I feel more secure when the foreign authorities know where a "person of interest" is sitting. I tend to believe variables in itinerary alerts, baggage screening and walk-up tickets on U.S.-bound flights actually exist.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by plagwate
I wonder if any of those udderly orderly passengers can claim themselves as their own CP.
No, they got to preboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.