When will we see service to DCA?

Old Jul 16, 11, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, US
When will we see service to DCA?

With the acquisition of AirTran , does anyone know the earliest for Southwest to start flying service to DCA? Thanks
Old Jul 16, 11, 5:34 pm
ffI

Programs: AA 2MM, US CP, DL PM, UA 1k <=> HH DM, SPG/ClubC/Marr G, Hyatt/IHG Plat, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I had hoped never, but that was not to be...
Old Jul 16, 11, 5:35 pm

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
when they get a single operating certificate early next year they'll pick up the AirTran DCA slots

the SWA logo won't be on the planes until after that, so probably sometime in 2012
Old Jul 16, 11, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ffI View Post
Probably not anytime soon. If there a possibility to start serving in DCA. If DOT & DOJ will have an approved to brings a few slots. Due to slots restrictions. It will have a limited time. If the slots restrictions is available, if necessary. They have to decide to whether if the Department of Transportations will have approval. Not for a while unless if there is enough gate space available.
Old Jul 17, 11, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by ffI View Post
right, because we're so lucky at DCA to have the current choices of RJs and US Air
Old Jul 17, 11, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Probably not anytime soon. If there a possibility to start serving in DCA. If DOT & DOJ will have an approved to brings a few slots. Due to slots restrictions. It will have a limited time. If the slots restrictions is available, if necessary. They have to decide to whether if the Department of Transportations will have approval. Not for a while unless if there is enough gate space available.
WN's acquisition of Airtran includes Airtran's slots at DCA. That won't physically happen until FAA issues its operating certificate. That said, Airtran only has a couple of slots and this means that if WN wants them and doesn't sell them off, there will only be a couple of flights per day.

Also, worth noting that DCA fees are extraordinarily high. You can expect much, much higher fares x DCA than x BWI. My bet is that WN sells of its few slots and doesn't fly out of DCA.
Old Jul 17, 11, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Airtran only has a couple of slots and this means that if WN wants them and doesn't sell them off, there will only be a couple of flights per day.
A "slot" means "one flight per day?"
Old Jul 17, 11, 8:08 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
One departure and one arrival (a roundtrip)
Old Jul 17, 11, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
"Slot" means one rotation, that is a landing and a takeoff, so effectively two flights.
Old Jul 17, 11, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

Also, worth noting that DCA fees are extraordinarily high. You can expect much, much higher fares x DCA than x BWI. My bet is that WN sells of its few slots and doesn't fly out of DCA.
Can you offer a comparison (perhaps a source?) of allocated per-passenger fees at DCA/BWI/IAD?
Old Jul 17, 11, 12:13 pm
Suspended

DCA

WN's acquisition of Airtran includes Airtran's slots at DCA. That won't physically happen until FAA issues its operating certificate. That said, Airtran only has a couple of slots and this means that if WN wants them and doesn't sell them off, there will only be a couple of flights per day.

Think this is correct from someone who has flown out of there for 47 years. This is not a leisure travel market, government employees, folks on the hill, and large corporations use DL and other legacy carriers for many reasons, including the lounges and int'l connections.
Old Jul 17, 11, 12:21 pm

Airtran slots at DCA

Currently Airtran has 12 slots in DCA, which equates to 6 nonstops in and out of DCA to ATL. With the US/DL swap both US/DL are going to have to give up some slots in DCA and LGA both. So WN most likely has their name in the hat to obtain additional slots. AS for when you will see SOUTHWEST in and out of DCA probably sooner than later. Sat July 17, 2001 the SWA pilots and the Airtran Pilots agreed to a intergration proposal that Gary Kelly proposed. Once that is approved by SWAPA (Southwest) and ALPA (Airtran) pilot unions there is supposely a deal for SWA/FL to start a codeshare. Mar 2013 is the target date for SWA to start painting the Boeing 717 in the SOUTHWEST COLORS.
Old Jul 17, 11, 3:11 pm

Airtran also flies to RSW and MKE out of DCA. Yields out of DCA are pretty high so I doubt very much SWA will divest those slots.
Old Jul 17, 11, 3:32 pm

Gary's bean counters are probably more excited about DCA than I am. I'd pay at least $100 extra each way to fly out of DCA over BWI.

Just having access to the ATL hub will make a difference in winter considering were currently limited to MDW and DEN out of IAD.
Old Jul 17, 11, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Someone with more expertise in Congressional law please chime in ...

When Republic bought F9, some of their slots went back into the "pool" because the ownership of the carrier had changed. However, when US and HP merged, the new US was allowed to keep the slots. While the new US is, for all intents and purposes, HP with a new name, they are legally US Airways. I don't get it why sometimes the slots are allowed to be kept and sometimes they aren't ...

I would think that SW would be forced to rebid for the slots. I have no doubt that they would be re-awarded them, but I don't get it.

Anybody?

Search this Thread