Peanut Allergy PreBoard?

Old Jul 17, 11, 3:12 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by t325 View Post
Out of curiosity, if someone has a peanut allergy, will WN not serve peanuts on the flight? It doesn't seem like wiping down your seat will help if the person in the row behind you opens up a bag of peanuts later on.
About a year ago I was on a flight where they did announce there would be no peanuts offered due to a passenger with the allergy onboard.
Lbruce1 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 11, 7:09 am
  #17  
bpe
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Japan
Programs: AS, UA
Posts: 1,102
Maybe they had a fear of peanuts instead of an allergy? They can still keep flying Southwest, but they had better board first to make sure all those nasty things are gone from their favorite seats.
bpe is offline  
Old Jul 17, 11, 7:18 am
  #18  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,621
You Must Be Kidding

Originally Posted by HBFlyer View Post
Had a situation last week on a flight out of SMF to ABQ. One of the teenagers, who was about 12-14 years of age was allowed a blue preboarding card because she had a peanut allergy. Unfortunately she had a family of 8 traveling with her and all were allowed to preboard. Is this standard? Of course when I boarded (A16) all the first several rows was filled with her entourage.
How in the world would allowing someone with a peanut allergy to board early help with that problem? Too odd.
DaddyRabbit is offline  
Old Jul 17, 11, 9:30 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 219
My son has a peanut allergy. We were advised to always board
first. This gives us the opportunity to brush off the seat and
check the seat back pockets for any residual peanuts/peanut packages
before he is seated. If you have a peanut allergy you can never be too careful.
laxabq is offline  
Old Jul 17, 11, 11:03 pm
  #20  
bpe
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Japan
Programs: AS, UA
Posts: 1,102
Originally Posted by laxabq View Post
If you have a peanut allergy you can never be too careful.
And you still fly Southwest?
bpe is offline  
Old Jul 17, 11, 11:06 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 1,818
Originally Posted by laxabq View Post
My son has a peanut allergy. We were advised to always board
first. This gives us the opportunity to brush off the seat and
check the seat back pockets for any residual peanuts/peanut packages
before he is seated. If you have a peanut allergy you can never be too careful.
And that does make some sense to me, however, I have to ask, do you and your son fly SW? It is the only airline to give out free peanuts in-flight. I just can't imagine someone with a serious peanut allergy would risk it. I don't believe there are many (if any) routes that SW has no competition.
redheadtempe33 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 11, 11:34 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ATL
Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Posts: 1,888
Originally Posted by redheadtempe33 View Post
It is the only airline to give out free peanuts in-flight.
DL still offers peanuts (as well as pretzels and Biscoff cookies).
plagwate is offline  
Old Jul 18, 11, 6:14 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 8,044
Originally Posted by redheadtempe33 View Post
And that does make some sense to me, however, I have to ask, do you and your son fly SW? It is the only airline to give out free peanuts in-flight. I just can't imagine someone with a serious peanut allergy would risk it. I don't believe there are many (if any) routes that SW has no competition.
There are many routes from BNA where WN has no good competition.

redheadtempe33, it was on a Delta flight where I first was notified I could not eat the trail mix I had brought because of this.
InkUnderNails is offline  
Old Jul 18, 11, 9:54 am
  #24  
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: SWA Customer Relations
Posts: 48
We do allow ONE person to preboard with the passenger with the peanut/peanut dust allergy to assist with cleaning the seat off and removing any visible peanut residue. If additional passengers were also allowed, that was an exception (maybe there were young children?). While the passenger with the peanut dust allergy can note their reservation, they must obtain a "Peanut Dust Allergy Document" and present it to the flight attendant in order to suspend the service of peanuts for that flight. Many of you have great points on that we cannot give assurances that remnants of peanuts and/or peanut dust/oil will not remain on the aircraft floor, seats, or tray tables from flights earlier in the aircraft's routing. Also, Southwest cannot prevent other Customers from bringing peanuts or products containing peanuts onboard our flights.
Hope this helps!
southwestgabe is offline  
Old Jul 18, 11, 10:41 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by southwestgabe View Post
While the passenger with the peanut dust allergy can note their reservation, they must obtain a "Peanut Dust Allergy Document" and present it to the flight attendant in order to suspend the service of peanuts for that flight. Many of you have great points on that we cannot give assurances that remnants of peanuts and/or peanut dust/oil will not remain on the aircraft floor, seats, or tray tables from flights earlier in the aircraft's routing. Also, Southwest cannot prevent other Customers from bringing peanuts or products containing peanuts onboard our flights.
Hope this helps!
My daughter has a peanut allergy and the incidence of children with peanut allergies is only increasing. While I agree WN can't stop folks from bringing on their own peanut products, have you thought about eliminating peanuts from your snack menu? I realize it's a tradition and that many folks like them, but there are many other snack choices other than peanuts and to me it sounds a bit silly to have policies such as allowing folks to pre-board to clean up peanut residue or to suspend in-flight peanut service if a pax submits the proper documentation.
texashoser is offline  
Old Jul 18, 11, 1:42 pm
  #26  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 102
PM me for details and flight number

Originally Posted by southwestgabe View Post
We do allow ONE person to preboard with the passenger with the peanut/peanut dust allergy to assist with cleaning the seat off and removing any visible peanut residue. If additional passengers were also allowed, that was an exception (maybe there were young children?). While the passenger with the peanut dust allergy can note their reservation, they must obtain a "Peanut Dust Allergy Document" and present it to the flight attendant in order to suspend the service of peanuts for that flight. Many of you have great points on that we cannot give assurances that remnants of peanuts and/or peanut dust/oil will not remain on the aircraft floor, seats, or tray tables from flights earlier in the aircraft's routing. Also, Southwest cannot prevent other Customers from bringing peanuts or products containing peanuts onboard our flights.
Hope this helps!
Maybe you need to send out a global email to all GAs about this policy. The family in question had three adults and five kids. All over the age of 12. They were going to some cheerleading event in Little Rock. PM me and will give you the flight number and time.
HBFlyer is offline  
Old Jul 18, 11, 3:06 pm
  #27  
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: SWA Customer Relations
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by texashoser View Post
My daughter has a peanut allergy and the incidence of children with peanut allergies is only increasing. While I agree WN can't stop folks from bringing on their own peanut products, have you thought about eliminating peanuts from your snack menu? I realize it's a tradition and that many folks like them, but there are many other snack choices other than peanuts and to me it sounds a bit silly to have policies such as allowing folks to pre-board to clean up peanut residue or to suspend in-flight peanut service if a pax submits the proper documentation.
I have wondered the same before, but here's what I've heard. We continue serving peanuts for a couple reasons: 1. Our experience tells us that we can accommodate the majority of our Customers who have peanut allergies with our current procedures and 2. The feedback we receive from our Customers doesn't justify the need to permanently remove peanuts from our flights. We actually receive much more positive comments regarding our peanuts from Customers who were counting on a low-sugar, low-carb snack.
southwestgabe is offline  
Old Jul 18, 11, 3:18 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by southwestgabe View Post
I have wondered the same before, but here's what I've heard. We continue serving peanuts for a couple reasons: 1. Our experience tells us that we can accommodate the majority of our Customers who have peanut allergies with our current procedures and 2. The feedback we receive from our Customers doesn't justify the need to permanently remove peanuts from our flights. We actually receive much more positive comments regarding our peanuts from Customers who were counting on a low-sugar, low-carb snack.
OK - fair enough.
texashoser is offline  
Old Jul 18, 11, 3:52 pm
  #29  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Posts: 21,163
Originally Posted by texashoser View Post
have you thought about eliminating peanuts from your snack menu?
I vote for macadamia nuts. I was introduced to those is the regulated days of 4-propeller aircraft. 3 nuts in a tiny tin, decades before these nuts appeared in grocery stores.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?
nsx is offline  
Old Jul 18, 11, 6:09 pm
  #30  
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 2,954
Originally Posted by southwestgabe View Post
We actually receive much more positive comments regarding our peanuts from Customers who were counting on a low-sugar, low-carb snack.
Not to mention the dry-roasted peanuts are the only wheat-free snack option I've ever seen on a WN flight. Gluten sensitivity is exploding. Gluten-free / wheat-free may be the fastest growing special diet trend.

Trouble is, the honey-roasted peanuts from King nut do have wheat starch on the ingredient list, so wheat-free diet folks only have a snack option on WN every other year. I have checked labels in grocery stores and found that other brands of honey-roasted nuts use non-wheat starches (e.g., potato starch).
ftnoob is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread