Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated post-transition orphaned credits thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

I would appreciate if anyone can guide me on the best possible solution to my situation. My 2 daughters have 8 credits each from RR 1.0 in their accounts. Unfortunately they are worthless until they are converted to a standard award (correct?). Southwest wouldn't let me combine the two accounts (I thought I would give it a shot in the dark) and the 8 credits cannot be used to convert to 2 one-ways in their respective accounts. The expiration date is October 2011 for the credits to start being deleted from their accounts so I am wondering what I could possibly do to earn enough points to convert them to awards. Any suggestions? I know I could buy the points, but to buy 9600 points, it is $250 per account ... pretty steep! Could I possibly open credit cards in their names? Do credit card companies issue cards to 4 and 2 year olds? They obviously won't fly enough to earn the points that way. Anyone had success convincing southwest to convert 8 credits to a one-way award, or to convince them to combine or transfer between accounts?

Any help is appreciated!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
In the old days, you had a chance with rental car bonus offers. This time I think you are stuck paying the $250. Credit cards will not work since they are not 18.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
take them flying?

You've surely already thought of this, but just in case -

Is there a reason for your daughters to take some flights & earn all or part of the required points? I know at 6 points per dollar, it would take more flying than you're probably going to do, but it might put a dent in the amount of points you have to purchase. Need to go see Grandma or the beach?

or pay $250 each to end up with 19.200 points for each daughter. 19,200 points can go quite a ways using WGA fares if you watch for sales, specials, DING, and hidden-city fares, so it might be worth it in the long run. The points don't expire once you've converted the credits into points.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:34 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

$250 only buys 10,000 points, worth just $166.66 toward airfare. Old credits can't be converted to points.

I don't understand the comment about rental car bonus offers being an old days thing.

The info in the old version of the Wiki FAQ is still relevant for this issue.

The short answer is "explore partner credit opportunities."
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Aren't Diners Club points transferrable to anyone's account? I seem to recall they are.

They aren't taking new cardholders so you might need to find someone to trade with.

Any other cards allow this?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
I'm in the same situation and have about 6 months to accumulate enough Rapid Rewards Dining points to make purchasing the remainder points worth it. There is a 300 point new-member bonus and a 1500 point bonus after $500 spend. At 3 points/$ it does not go fast but pretty much the only option except flying.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Cannot convert credits to points

The transfered credits from RR 1.0 can only be converted to an award, once you have enough points to make up the remainder needed. In other words, since I have 8 credits in each account, I would need another 8 credits per account, which is equivalent to 9600 points each. Once I reach that threshold in points, then I can convert the points into credits, and then the credits into a standard roundtrip award. Unless I am mistaken, this is the only way possible. So the only thing is to get 9600 points, either by flying or through one of the partners (hotel, rental car, dining, credit card) or by buying. Fill me in if I am missing something please.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Old credits

Originally Posted by ftnoob
$250 only buys 10,000 points, worth just $166.66 toward airfare. Old credits can't be converted to points.

I don't understand the comment about rental car bonus offers being an old days thing.

The info in the old version of the Wiki FAQ is still relevant for this issue.

The short answer is "explore partner credit opportunities."
My bad on the credits->points, not possible. Points->credits only, & a one-time deal at that. However, if OP buys 10,000 points ($250) for each daughter, he ends up with two RR1 RTs, valid for a little more than a year. I, for one, value a RR1 R/T at least $500. So, either write off $250 each kid, or pay $250 each kid to save the existing credits and get a $500 RR1 RT each, or find some partner points. You may value a RR1 RT more or less than $500.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
What to do with 8 orphaned credits?

So,

I have 8 of the "old" credits in my account and I never fly Southwest because the closest place that they fly is several hours from me. I got these credits for signing up for emails or something, so they didn't cost me anything. However, I don't want to just let them expire and get nothing for them either.

Is there a way to transfer these points to any other hotel or airlines? Can I transfer them to other Southwest accounts? Any options?

Thanks a lot for the help!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
So,

I have 8 of the "old" credits in my account and I never fly Southwest because the closest place that they fly is several hours from me. I got these credits for signing up for emails or something, so they didn't cost me anything. However, I don't want to just let them expire and get nothing for them either.

Is there a way to transfer these points to any other hotel or airlines? Can I transfer them to other Southwest accounts? Any options?

No way to transfer anywhere or to anyone.

No way to use except to take (8x1200) = 9600 new RR points, and to combine those with your existing credits.

Pay attention to how long you have before the credits start to expire.

Easiest way would be to get the WN credit card from Chase. 50K points. Or you could rent some cars/stay at hotels/fly somewhere.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
No way to transfer anywhere or to anyone.

No way to use except to take (8x1200) = 9600 new RR points, and to combine those with your existing credits.

Pay attention to how long you have before the credits start to expire.

Easiest way would be to get the WN credit card from Chase. 50K points. Or you could rent some cars/stay at hotels/fly somewhere.
Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it.

I guess I'll just have to let them expire unused then. I thought about getting the new card, but I'd rather not since it would be more hassle than it is worth to use the points since the closest Southwest flies is about 3hrs from me.

Honestly, this is a question that I can look up, but I might as well ask it now since I'm already here: Does Southwest allow bookings on partner airlines? If so, how is the availability/transfer rate?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:06 pm

Not unless you have the credit card; then for a worse point-per-dollar price you can book international trips. To the extent that they have partner airlines: don't count on using points with AirTran until their flights become Southwest flights. I don't know of any plans for RR points to be usable on Volaris. Anyway, your orphaned credits can only be used towards an old Standard Award; they can't be converted to new-style points.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:55 pm

Football ?

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
So,

@:-) Book a Southwest flight to DAL for Sept 26 to watch the 'Boys skin the 'Skins on Monday Night Football. (Presuming the season is played, that is).
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by johnslloyd
@:-) Book a Southwest flight to DAL for Sept 26 to watch the 'Boys skin the 'Skins on Monday Night Football. (Presuming the season is played, that is).
But, again, I'd have to drive several hours just to get to an airport that Southwest flies out of. I'll already be going to a few of the games in DC that I'll have to drive 5+ hrs to. lol
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:31 am

For those who are trying to top off their RR 1 account prior to credit expiration, e-rewards is another option. Strange transfer rate (500 pts for $25 and so on), but if you can combine that with car rentals, a few flights, idine, and hotels, you might be able to get one last RR1 R/T award. At the very least it would reduce the amount you have to pay out of pocket to buy the rest of the points you need.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.