FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   CNBC Titans - Herb Kelleher (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1235610-cnbc-titans-herb-kelleher.html)

FCfree Jul 10, 2011 7:48 pm

CNBC Titans - Herb Kelleher

On Thursday, July 14, 2011, CNBC will premier a CNBC Titans episode about Herb. It will air at 9PM ET/PT.

More details at:
http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/n...nbc/cnbctitans

curbcrusher Jul 10, 2011 8:59 pm

Finally! If I recall correctly, this was filmed a year ago.

pinworm Jul 10, 2011 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by FCfree (Post 16705456)
On Thursday, July 14, 2011, CNBC will premier a CNBC Titans episode about Herb. It will air at 9PM ET/PT.

More details at:
http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/n...nbc/cnbctitans

I hope people remember that everything CNBC does is a high budget paid advertisement. They are marketing promotions which are designed, developed and fully controlled by the companies they "profile". It's about as objective as a religious pamphlet.

expert7700 Jul 10, 2011 10:59 pm

finally! I've been checking the CNBC site every few weeks and hadn't seen this on the schedule yet. They did some of the filming July 12 2010 at MDW.

tusphotog Jul 11, 2011 1:05 am

Originally Posted by pinworm (Post 16706051)
I hope people remember that everything CNBC does is a high budget paid advertisement. They are marketing promotions which are designed, developed and fully controlled by the companies they "profile". It's about as objective as a religious pamphlet.

I'm sure Enron and Jeff Skilling really appreciated the CNBC "marketing promotion" that aired in 2010. ;)

SWABrian Jul 12, 2011 10:12 am

Not everything. We've been working with Kurtis Productions on this, and it was originally for the "Biography" series. Other than supplying visuals and factual detail at their request, we haven't had any contact postproduction.

FCfree Jul 14, 2011 9:54 am

I watched CNBC's profile of BMW last night, thinking about this comment. There were a few, limited negative comments about BMW. So, while it may not be 100% fair and balanced, it is not completely controlled either.

OTOH, what bad things has Herb ever done? In the 60 Minutes profile of Herb (available on You Tube), the only guy that didn't like him was the CEO of America West, who said Southwest was trying to destroy America West by intentionally losing money. That was over 20 years ago. Southwest didn't drive them out of business and then raise fares as the America West CEO suggested. Both are still big in Phoenix. Herb did bring lower fares to everyone.

Personally, I am looking forward to the show tonight.

curbcrusher Jul 14, 2011 7:47 pm

This is a fantastic show. Catch the rerun if you're missing the current showing.

expert7700 Jul 14, 2011 9:02 pm

Our family made a brief appearance on the show, so I may be a BIT biased, but I'd have to say it was the best CNBC Titans show to date. :)

traveller001 Jul 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by curbcrusher (Post 16730230)
This is a fantastic show. Catch the rerun if you're missing the current showing.

I agree.

A very good history lesson not just on WN but it would be a good thing to see for anyone that wasn't over 20 or so prior to deregulation. A lot of big airlines WN was up against are just gone.

Not to mention the rather unorthodox business management style for those that haven't already studied it.

Next airdate I see is Sun 10pm ET on CNBC.

GottaLuvCruising Jul 15, 2011 5:17 am

I enjoyed the show and learning more about Southwest's history last evening. I wish he was still at the helm.

netbucks Jul 19, 2011 3:21 pm

I finally saw the rerun last night! Nice tribute to Herb--it brought back lots of memories from my over 30 years of flying Southwest.

A couple of things that were somewhat odd, however:
1. Lamar Muse was not mentioned at all (however, he was pictured at least twice). It can be argued that much of the unique culture of Southwest was created by him. Muse did most of the nuts and bolts of putting the company together while Herb handled the legal/regulatory issues. Apparently there is still some corporate "bad blood" between WN and the memory of the crusty old airline veteran who played such a pivotal role in the creation of the company.
2. On the subject of legal/regulatory issues, the show mentioned the lengthy CAB hearings, but shockingly did not mention how Southwest actually got around the CAB (they proved the the CAB did not have the authority to regulate an intrastate carrier and they were approved to initiate service by the Texas Aironautics Board within the state of Texas).

A fun fact: initially "Air Southwest" was going to start service with used Lockheed Electras retired from American Airlines.