Wiki Posts
Search

Nostalgia N697SW

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Nostalgia N697SW

I had several days to spare in Boston earlier this year.

Boston Commons, Quincy Marhket (Faneuil Hall), Back Bay, Dunkin Donuts, John Quincy Adams, John Kerry, Bunker Hill, etc & et al, I'd had enough.

So I went up to the top deck of one of Logan's parking decks.

I'm not a registration number junkie, but I do take note of a few Speedbirds, the occasional KLM, and many Southwest numbers.

This Canyon Blue Boeing 737-300's number struck me. There she was..

N697SW

A few months after entering service in 1988, this 737 as TACA Flight 110 made a memoable landing in Southern Louisiana. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TACA_Flight_110

Old Jul 2, 2011, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
I had several days to spare in Boston earlier this year.

This Canyon Blue Boeing 737-300's number struck me. There she was..

N697SW

A few months after entering service in 1988, this 737 as TACA Flight 110 made a memoable landing in Southern Louisiana. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TACA_Flight_110

Very true..

The fellow who started the thread below a few years ago flew over the levee site in a small aircraft and shot some pictures. Note that the 737 didn't land on the short section of the levee, but on the longer section and the aircraft was later taxied to the location shown in one of the pictures in reply #11.

Great piloting and a rugged aircraft...

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...TACA#ID3610242

Last edited by OPNLguy; Jul 2, 2011 at 2:00 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 2, 2011, 4:13 pm

Most aircraft with a special history acquire ab unique nickname. For example, fedex acquired a sas dc10 that had a runway overrun at JFK and ended up in the bay, so it was known as the salty dog.

So I don't know if this one has a special name. The most recent onen I have heard of is one that the tail number ended in jw. For Jim Wimberly, a good guy btw. Anyway one of the boys by mist,ake fired his govt issued weapon into the floor necessitating a trip to the Northwest for repair. So now the JW stands for John Wayne and the logbook has some of those bullet hole decals on the cover.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by kerflumexed
Most aircraft with a special history acquire ab unique nickname. For example, fedex acquired a sas dc10 that had a runway overrun at JFK and ended up in the bay, so it was known as the salty dog.

So I don't know if this one has a special name. The most recent onen I have heard of is one that the tail number ended in jw. For Jim Wimberly, a good guy btw. Anyway one of the boys by mist,ake fired his govt issued weapon into the floor necessitating a trip to the Northwest for repair. So now the JW stands for John Wayne and the logbook has some of those bullet hole decals on the cover.
In a former airline life @ Quebec Hotel, we had (amongst numerous other 737 variants) a handful of 737-100s that we acquired from Singapore (nee Malaysian) and two of them were so tempermental that they earned the nicknames "Godzilla" and "Rodan".

Back in the 1980s, either AA or BN (v1.0) had a 727-200 nicknamed "Steely Dan" but I never heard why it was called that. Always wondered..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.