FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   How long does a WN Ops Agent remain an OA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1230513-how-long-does-wn-ops-agent-remain-oa.html)

ftnoob Jun 26, 2011 6:08 pm

How long does a WN Ops Agent remain an OA?

Several days ago I spent hours at BWI (waiting for an eventually canceled connecting flight departure). I stopped by a customer service counter (couldn't believe one was actually open) to inquire whether a particular OA might be working. No, I'm not a stalker; the last time I was in BWI she worked my departing flight and gave by far the best boarding procedure announcement I have ever heard. Her announcement was clearly spoken, well composed, and delivered with a perfect blend of sternness and humor. As I boarded I told her "great job on the boarding instructions. You should make a training video!" It was all I could think of on a moment's notice, and all I could squeeze in without holding up the line. So I thought it would be fun to find her and tell her that I remember her for doing such a great job, perhaps in a more relaxed moment. I explained the situation to the lady at the customer service counter, who called some internal number to ask whether the particular employee was on duty. Word came back that she is no longer an OA at BWI. :( So the lady asks when it was that I had been there, and I replied "September." She looks at me like I have two heads and asked in an incredulous tone: "September of last year???" Hmmm, that was only nine months ago.

Is it absurd to think an OA would still be working as such after nine months?

OPNLguy Jun 26, 2011 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by ftnoob (Post 16629562)
Several days ago I spent hours at BWI (waiting for an eventually canceled connecting flight departure). I stopped by a customer service counter (couldn't believe one was actually open) to inquire whether a particular OA might be working. No, I'm not a stalker; the last time I was in BWI she worked my departing flight and gave by far the best boarding procedure announcement I have ever heard. Her announcement was clearly spoken, well composed, and delivered with a perfect blend of sternness and humor. As I boarded I told her "great job on the boarding instructions. You should make a training video!" It was all I could think of on a moment's notice, and all I could squeeze in without holding up the line. So I thought it would be fun to find her and tell her that I remember her for doing such a great job, perhaps in a more relaxed moment. I explained the situation to the lady at the customer service counter, who called some internal number to ask whether the particular employee was on duty. Word came back that she is no longer an OA at BWI. :( So the lady asks when it was that I had been there, and I replied "September." She looks at me like I have two heads and asked in an incredulous tone: "September of last year???" Hmmm, that was only nine months ago.

Is it absurd to think an OA would still be working as such after nine months?

Not at all absurd. They could have transferred to another station, either as an OA, or some other position, or even to a position at HDQ. We have a former BWI OA here where I work, but they've been here a couple of years...

Cheers...

kerflumexed Jun 26, 2011 6:34 pm

This might vary from station to station, but I know one ops agent here in Austin who has been doing this for over 25 years.

laxabq Jun 26, 2011 8:20 pm

There seems to be a higher employee turnover at SWA in
the last couple of years. I have been flying SWA for years
and at one time there seemed to be little turnover and happy
employees.

I am sure all of the computer issues have to be difficult for
the employees to deal with. However, there are quite
a few SWA employees on this thread and they can better
answer the question.

KelseyR Jun 27, 2011 1:06 am

She might've have applied to be a FA! They opened up the position internally several months ago for a few classes and there were a lot of airport and CRs that transferred.

The OA you asked might have been more incredulous in the fact that you remembered her after all those months!

But in answer to your first question, at least here in Texas (DAL and SAT where I most frequent), OAs are here for years and years. It's quite rare to see DAL and SAT airport positions open up.

SWABrian Jun 27, 2011 1:43 pm

They can also get promoted to Supervisors, or maybe she did look at working in Training.