Is this a good deal?

Old Jun 12, 11, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Is this a good deal?

A friend has booked a UA Mileage Plus domestic itinerary which costs him 50K points. He has offered to give me those points if I book the same trip for him using either a standard WN award or the current going rate of 27K RR2 points. Obviously, I could use the MileagePlus points for international travel but am unsure if this is a fair deal for both of us. Advice from anyone who is enrolled in both programs is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 12, 11, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
27K RR2 points are worth between $225 and $450, depending on your redeeming style. UA miles are typically valued at no less than $0.01/mile, so 50K UA miles are upwards of $500... way more than that if you want to redeem for int'l premium cabin tickets. In my opinion, the 50k UA miles are worth way more than the 27K RR2 points, though there is the added cost of transferring the miles to your account that likely wipes out a lot of value.
Old Jun 12, 11, 11:17 pm

Programs: none
Not enough information to say if its a good deal. 50k miles for 27k points seems good, but its hard to make an exact comparison.

A mile is a mile, a point is a point, no matter how you earned them in the past. Under the old RR system you only needed 8 round trips or 16 segments (could be as little as 300 miles each) for a free voucher. Hotels, cars and credit cards could make that even less. It would seem a bit harder to get 50k miles if they all came from actual miles.

What matters more is how you plan to use them in the future and the timing of the awards. Miles/points may have a different value if you plan to travel soon. Only you and your friend can make that call.

HOWEVER, the airlines will tell you that you cannot legally do what you suggest, especially of it amounts to "bartering" of vouchers. That is, you giving away a voucher in exchange for something of vaule, i.e., a voucher on a different carrier.

You may give away a voucher to whoever you want If there is no sale or expectation of reimbursement from your friend, that would be totally acceptable. If he is so touched by your gesture of good will that he gives away one of his vouchers, that would work, too.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: