Community
Wiki Posts
Search

list of WN website bugs/issues

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ftnoob
Another new issue that experienced for the first time this weekend. I held off posting about it in case it was related to the older computer / older browser / different OS I was using, but I just found the same problem on a different (borrowed) computer running Chrome on Windows:
The modify search fields and "links" (e.g., Add another flight, and Additional Search Options (case style variation: sic)) on the fare quote / select flight page don't work at all.
I'm using Firefox 4.0.1 and they seem to work for me. When you say they don't work, do they not do anything when you click on them or when you input data into the fields, it's not paid attention to when you click 'search'?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by ftnoob
texashoser, you should maintain an index of the issues in the OP (or a copy of the OP the mods can add to the top of the thread for you, if you prefer).
One problem is that the site is so screwed up, that some things will work on some browsers and not others.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:50 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

When I enter a new airport code and tab away from the field, the code does not expand to a city name, which has always been an indication that the data has not been copied to the hidden field that is actually processed by the server. I cannot say whether the server would process the displayed input, because it is not possible (via the UI) to reveal the hidden part of the form that contains the submit button. I have not yet worked out the JavaScript to force that part of the form to be displayed or to programatically submit the form.

I also cannot cause the flyouts to be displayed. (These two computers don't have ABP, so that is not the reason.)

And of course using Back to edit the search doesn't work correctly either, as the form doesn't remember that I'm working on an A-B-C booking (it remembers all three cities, but to see the third city I have to click Add another destination each time I go back), and it also now reverts to the default dates (today and tomorrow) instead of remembering my dates. That's the same bug the low fare finder entry page has had since its original update so long ago.

Another new problem in these two browsers (Firefox pre-3.5 on Linux, Chrome 12.0.742.100, current latest, on Vista) is that the Nonstop and Direct filter fields no longer work, and sorting the flight results table is no longer possible.

(All these issues are related to functions that are added via deferred JavaScript, which is why it takes a few seconds, when it works, for the column headers to turn blue and the filter fields to turn dark black. Those two visual indicators never happen on these two computers/browsers.)

ETA: another possibly related issue on these two computers/browsers is that there are no drop down menus from the top header on the flight search results page.

ETA2: Perhaps also related: attempting to advance the date by clicking the outbound date carousel for an A-B-C doesn't work, because the modal dialog offering to simultaneously change the second date does not display. The change is submitted and the server replies with an error message that the outbound date cannot precede the return date.

ETA3: also not working on this computer/browser on that page: the DHTML expandable/collapsible sections in the right margin.

ETA4: Just checked and noted that these problems don't exist in IE8 on this borrowed computer.

lougord99, the index can simply say "on some browsers" for browser-specific problems, with the details available in the specific post(s). What is odd is that SWA currently makes heavy use of the jQuery library, which is supposed to eliminate cross-browser problems. I have not studied the issue in enough detail to know whether the site is using jQuery for the functionality that is not working in Chrome on this computer.

Last edited by ftnoob; Jun 19, 2011 at 3:14 pm Reason: As noted
Old Jun 19, 2011, 3:40 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Award booking was brought over to the new look pages at the time of the RR 2.0 transition. Just noticed today, however: not all new ticketing system functionality was included; specifically, even after advancing to the Award ticket pricing page, you do not get to see the location of stops on direct flights. Presumably that also applies to the direct flight portion of a three hopper (i.e., you would not be told the location of the other stop when the stops designation is BWI/2).
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Angry

Folks.

Let me at 'em.

I managed a $130 million annual budget enterprise with lots of IS major issues.

Just let me have six months with WN, and it will all be fixed.

Seriously.

Pathos instead.

Just wait until the Board of Directors hears from their neighbors.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:26 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Originally Posted by jtaft
If you have a reservation for you plus one for your Companion, and you use 'change reservation' to modify yours, the Companion reservation disappears. It's still in the system if you wrote down the PNR, and if your Companion has a Rapid Rewards account the reservation now magically appears in the Companion's account. But, either way, the Companion reservation cannot be changed on-line and requires a phone call to fix.
I went through this exercise today, changing my reservation and then trying in vain to rebook the companion pass. I finally gave up and called SWA, and after a mere 20-minute wait, got to a live human. They advised that the only work around to accomplish this transaction on line is to FIRST cancel the companion pass before using the "change reservation" for the primary traveler. After canceling the CP (reservation), change your own reservation, and then go back in and rebook the CP (reservation) on the new flight.

One more instance of poor programming. Does anyone at SWA (other than the overworked res clerks) care about this magnificently FUBAR website?

Last edited by screeton; Jun 20, 2011 at 10:37 am
Old Jun 20, 2011, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by screeton
I went through this exercise today, changing my reservation and then trying in vain to rebook the companion pass. I finally gave up and called SWA, and after a mere 20-minute wait, got to a live human. They advised that the only work around to accomplish this transaction on line is to FIRST cancel the companion pass before using the "change reservation" for the primary traveler. After canceling the CP, change your reservation, and then go back in and rebook the CP on the new flight.
I assume you mean "cancel the reservation made using the CP" rather than "cancel the CP."
Old Jun 20, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Sat next to SW CSR agent on yesterday flight

The lady didn't identify who she was right away, but upon seeing that I had a BS drink coupon, she asked me some questions about how I liked the new RR2 and my experiences with booking on the website. She got some straight answers! About halfway through the flight, she identified herself as a 35-year SW employee and told me that the CSRs are just as fed up as we are with the website bugs and having to deal with all the pax issues caused by the website. She said she thought that the site should totally stand down long enough to get all the bugs fixed. Most interesting conversation. She was pretty frank and I won't mention much of the info she passed on, because I wouldn't want her to be identified and cause her any trouble.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnslloyd
The lady didn't identify who she was right away, but upon seeing that I had a BS drink coupon, she asked me some questions about how I liked the new RR2 and my experiences with booking on the website. She got some straight answers! About halfway through the flight, she identified herself as a 35-year SW employee and told me that the CSRs are just as fed up as we are with the website bugs and having to deal with all the pax issues caused by the website. She said she thought that the site should totally stand down long enough to get all the bugs fixed. Most interesting conversation. She was pretty frank and I won't mention much of the info she passed on, because I wouldn't want her to be identified and cause her any trouble.
I was told much the same thing by a CS rep on Saturday, but via actual phone call. Unless you state which flight you were on or that John S Lloyd is your actual name, how could WN even attempt to track down this employee? That info would be most illuminating to this board.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Never underestimate the effort of a corporation to hunt down a renegade employee who might speak the truth rather than the corporate dogma. That effort can require more time and effort than fixing the problem, but it (the "problem" employee) will be accorded a much higher priority. Killing the messenger is the first line of defense when there is nothing else to defend.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Added index to original first post of thread indicating the issues, their status, and details.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by screeton
I went through this exercise today, changing my reservation and then trying in vain to rebook the companion pass. I finally gave up and called SWA, and after a mere 20-minute wait, got to a live human. They advised that the only work around to accomplish this transaction on line is to FIRST cancel the companion pass before using the "change reservation" for the primary traveler. After canceling the CP (reservation), change your own reservation, and then go back in and rebook the CP (reservation) on the new flight.

One more instance of poor programming. Does anyone at SWA (other than the overworked res clerks) care about this magnificently FUBAR website?
I am waiting for my phone call from WN for the exact same reason. Companion pass disappeared when I made a change to my reservation. I have the companion's PRN, but that just elicits a "file not found" error.

In "18 to 28" minutes, Southwest is supposed to call me back. Oh, and what's with the "enter your birthday" stuff when calling on the A+ line? I was not calling from my home phone, so my address was "incorrect," according to the WN answering machine. Perhaps they and the TSA know something about me that mom never confessed!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I get the following error when I try to change a flight:

Your reservation contains modifications that prevent you from changing it online. Please contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative for assistance at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792). (SW302123-07GatP-oTMaPHqJnU6BYBA)
None of my reservations have been modified (yet) in any way, either previously online or by a CSR. At first I thought it was related to the 40-80-120 sale but now I'm guessing that it is not. I checked - I get this error on all of my existing reservations, regardless of whether they are inside or outside the 40-80-120 period or whether the $80 or $120 would even be considered a decent promotion.

(Yes, I'm aware that I can fully cancel and rebook. It's still a fairly serious IT defect somewhere in the system. Otherwise, the "Change" feature should not exist, and the SOP should be to always cancel and book a new ticket.)
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
I get the following error when I try to change a flight:

None of my reservations have been modified (yet) in any way, either previously online or by a CSR. At first I thought it was related to the 40-80-120 sale but now I'm guessing that it is not. I checked - I get this error on all of my existing reservations, regardless of whether they are inside or outside the 40-80-120 period or whether the $80 or $120 would even be considered a decent promotion.

(Yes, I'm aware that I can fully cancel and rebook. It's still a fairly serious IT defect somewhere in the system. Otherwise, the "Change" feature should not exist, and the SOP should be to always cancel and book a new ticket.)
It'd be nice if someone could call and see if the CSR reps are aware of the error and the possible cause. I'll happily add this problem to the index.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:35 pm

They've trained the phone reps to tell you there isn't an issue.
You'll probably get a response like "Oh Mr. Smith that is
the first time we have heard of this happening". I was
told the phone reps get scored down and can be fired
for telling passengers anything derogatory about SWA.

You have to really feel for those phone reps. Irate passengers
and managers not taking the blame for their short comings.
Personally, I try to be extra kind any time I speak to SWA
phone reps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.