Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Not inappropriate at all, nor were most others. It's just that the whole ESA discussion was both off-topic and destined for here anyway, so I took the lazy way out.
I'd argue that the OP intended the discussion to include the topic of emotional support animals. At the least, no one should have been surprised by the development when he/she was asking a question that the answer for is literally "nothing," unless that topic is included.

Destined for the Peanut Gallery, of course.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by stallion114
Why is it that a lap child is free and a dog is $95 service fee?
What service is southwest providing for the passenger with a pet carrier that they are not providing to a lap child?

Would people be outraged over airlines charging $95 for a lap child?

Even though they act otherwise, WN doesn't really want little bobby on board.

#MICDROP
Thing is, the FAA and NTSB dismal economists have run the numbers and have long come to the conclusion that, although lap babies are not ideal for many and varied reasons, allowing them in cabin without additional charge actually does save lives. For many families the cost of an additional plane ticket for an under-2 would push them to drive instead of fly to their destination, and driving somewhere by private car is exponentially more dangerous than flying to that same location is.

The dog or cat can easily enough be boarded or left at home with regular checks from a pet-sitter instead of going on the trip; the baby can't be.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Thing is, the FAA and NTSB dismal economists have run the numbers and have long come to the conclusion that, although lap babies are not ideal for many and varied reasons, allowing them in cabin without additional charge actually does save lives. For many families the cost of an additional plane ticket for an under-2 would push them to drive instead of fly to their destination, and driving somewhere by private car is exponentially more dangerous than flying to that same location is.

The dog or cat can easily enough be boarded or left at home with regular checks from a pet-sitter instead of going on the trip; the baby can't be.
Thanks for bringing this up. For some people, a pet has almost human importance. I suspect that a significant fraction of pet owners drive solely for the comfort and/or dollar savings for their pet. If the lap child calculations were done for pets I think free lap pets would also save human (and pet) lives.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Thanks for bringing this up. For some people, a pet has almost human importance. I suspect that a significant fraction of pet owners drive solely for the comfort and/or dollar savings for their pet. If the lap child calculations were done for pets I think free lap pets would also save human (and pet) lives.
We're driving almost 3,000 miles at the end of the month to bring our cats with us to our new home in Miami. One of them is quite elderly, we don't consider flying to be an option. It'll cost us several times as much to drive as it would to fly, take many, many more hours, and be significantly more dangerous for the humans involved. And yet...
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I always keep a hard copy of the ESA letter in his carrier.
I hope he pees on it.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kb9522
There are a lot of things that would make the world a better place if they were fixed. Ending protections for ESAs is definitely one of them.
How blessed your life must be if ending ESA protection even makes your list of things that would improve the world.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Originally Posted by mysterym
Checking with baggage is a death wish...and should not be done when the outside temps are high or low.
Please....it was the norm before the invention of the fake therapy dog. It is bad enough people in wheelchairs can suddenly run off the plane when it gets to Florida.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Originally Posted by beachmouse

Are you really making the argument that the airlines allow free lap children to reduce automotive fatalities? I think you are giving the airlines a lot more credit than they deserve.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Are you really making the argument that the airlines allow free lap children to reduce automotive fatalities? I think you are giving the airlines a lot more credit than they deserve.
It's not my argument; it's the long time argument made by United States government economists and transportation officials.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by justhere
How blessed your life must be if ending ESA protection even makes your list of things that would improve the world.
Indeed. I'm not going to pretend to be ashamed or embarassed by it.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:39 am

Something I've been wondering (since this now seems to occur on most of the flights we're on): What happens when someone has a large "emotional support" animal taking up half the room on the floor of their row and the flight is otherwise completely full? Someone just has to deal with a large dog taking their leg room?

I know that individuals can have non-apparent disabilities for which a service dog is necessary, however--at least flying in and out of Austin--it's quite often just appears to be a young, able-bodied person with a dog on a leash (who also often gets to pre-board) .
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
As the poster noted, not their argument. Here's some info for you. https://www.faa.gov/news/press_relea...ontentKey=1966
Originally Posted by kb9522
Indeed. I'm not going to pretend to be ashamed or embarassed by it.
Never said you should be. I'm jealous that your problems are so few.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: A-List Preferred, Companion Pass
[QUOTE=trouble747;29254358]Something I've been wondering (since this now seems to occur on most of the flights we're on): What happens when someone has a large "emotional support" animal taking up half the room on the floor of their row and the flight is otherwise completely full? Someone just has to deal with a large dog taking their leg room?

That's exactly what happens - I have been in a bulkhead seat with a fake ESA (beautiful retriever) and the dog was essentially laying its head in my lap while also laying across my feet. She was a sweet dog and all but shedding all over and, well smelled like a big dog...as did I when I got off the plane. I wonder what happens on other airlines when this happens and they don't get to choose any seat they want....
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
The ultimate flight hack would be if I used my companion pass as a COS, and then claimed I needed another seat for my ESA to have space.
An entire row on every flight, better than first class.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Cats are free. Get a new one at the destination. I am so sick of animals on planes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.