Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by SDCA
Of course you do. You're Spineangel
You are ON the money.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by spineangel
You are ON the money.
See? You're right again.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by pinniped
Question, because I don't know: can an FA really log that many hours in a year? You're talking 2,734 hours there, assuming both the hourly and annual pay here is gross and the top hourly and top annual pay is the same person. (If it's not, then he/she worked even more than 2,734 hours!)

Assuming a reasonable amount of holiday/vacation time, you're talking constant 60 hour weeks. Working nonstop - no leave at all for a year - you're talking low/mid 50's.

I guess I always assumed there were FAA regulations that capped it lower than that. I thought a more typical schedule was 3-4 long days and then off for a few days...

To be clear, I realize that an FA schedule may entail 60+ hours of time dedicated to the job...but in terms of being officially "clocked in" I thought it was a lot less...
I also thought an FA on WN was paid on segment length as well. I know on Delta the crew used to get paid as soon as the door was closed. On WN if the door is closed and they get an ATC hold or there is bad weather and they hold the plane for a while, I didn't think an FA on WN got paid.

I have a friend that is an FA for DL and he makes a good salary but he does international and speaks 2 or 3 languages fluently
Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st
See? You're right again.
Why can't everyone else see the light, like you have??
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Why can't everyone else see the light, like you have??
Gee, What a surprise! You are right....again.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I also thought an FA on WN was paid on segment length as well. I know on Delta the crew used to get paid as soon as the door was closed. On WN if the door is closed and they get an ATC hold or there is bad weather and they hold the plane for a while, I didn't think an FA on WN got paid.

I have a friend that is an FA for DL and he makes a good salary but he does international and speaks 2 or 3 languages fluently
James, then ask your DL friend and have him explain/compare the two salary.

I am curious now.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I am hoping a FA on here would explain it to us how they can be the highest paid in the industry.
My guess, and I have no data to back this up:
- Southwest has a higher median salary than the typical legacy
- A lead FA flying int'l, speaking 2-3 languages, for a major carrier probably gets paid more than a senior Southwest FA

I don't question the hourly rates posted above too much. I just question whether an FA making $55-60/hr. can actually fly enough in a year to hit $150k at any airline. That's a ton of flying and I thought FAA rules had caps on how much an FA could work, similar to what they have for pilots.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
My guess, and I have no data to back this up:
- Southwest has a higher median salary than the typical legacy
- A lead FA flying int'l, speaking 2-3 languages, for a major carrier probably gets paid more than a senior Southwest FA

I don't question the hourly rates posted above too much. I just question whether an FA making $55-60/hr. can actually fly enough in a year to hit $150k at any airline. That's a ton of flying and I thought FAA rules had caps on how much an FA could work, similar to what they have for pilots.
But...... Lord knows the SW stewardesses are worth 200K plus each year.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
But...... Lord knows the SW stewardesses are worth 200K plus each year.
They dress like they are earning under $20K a year, not $200K. If they are really the highest paid in the industry they should dress and act appropriately.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: Frequent Flyer
I am hoping a FA on here would explain it to us how they can be the highest paid in the industry.
Our highest pay is based on the fact that per our contract we are paid more as a brand new FA as well as our 'top out' pay is the highest. We receive yearly anniversary step raises.

A perfect example is a WN FA is paid in most cases, twice as much as an AT FA.

There are many FA's making at or over $100,000 per year. We have many ways to achieve this one being trips that pay time and a half. These trips are trips picked up during a certain period the last day of the month and first three days of the month.

There is also extra pay for time over a duty day limit, reroutes, stranded pay, pay from other FA's for picking up their trip, cost of living raises (aside from the anniversary raise) and other factors that won't make sense to someone in a corporate job, because it's just so different than a corporate job.

We have FA's from all walks of life to include Dr's., lawyers, MBA's, even a Rabbi!

Although there is no pension, there is profit sharing and 100% company match on the 401k.

That's just a snapshot for the curious.

Last edited by Eemraldskies; Feb 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
They dress like they are earning under $20K a year, not $200K. If they are really the highest paid in the industry they should dress and act appropriately.
Our uniforms are provided by our company. We have no choice in the pieces provided and are hoping we will see changes with the new company that will be providing uniforms to us this year. There are many that need to purchase an iron, but that's another topic.

I personally wear the dress slacks and blazer combo.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:52 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Eemraldskies
That's just a snapshot for the curious.
ES, I know that WN's flight attendants are outstanding, but the picture you paint sounds similar to one a UAW member would have drawn in 1970, right before foreign brands decimated the US auto industry. Holding wages above market rates eventually results in massive job losses. I hope you folks are not _too_ overpaid.

And I hope your 401k is invested in something other than Southwest stock. If the company ever did go bankrupt, your 401k would evaporate!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx

And I hope your 401k is invested in something other than Southwest stock. If the company ever did go bankrupt, your 401k would evaporate!
Boy, that's the truth. WN employee retirement money should be invested in whatever is the opposite of WN stock. Don't forget what happened to so many Enron/Worldcom/Lehman employees.

Maybe Proctor & Gamble or Johnson & Johnson, companies that people will always be patronizing no matter what.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Boy, that's the truth. WN employee retirement money should be invested in whatever is the opposite of WN stock. Don't forget what happened to so many Enron/Worldcom/Lehman employees.

Maybe Proctor & Gamble or Johnson & Johnson, companies that people will always be patronizing no matter what.
We have many options for our 401k investments. Don't worry for us.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eemraldskies
We have many options for our 401k investments. Don't worry for us.
Good. If you hear of some WN employee loading up on WN stock/options, etc. in his/her 401(k), it would be a service to dissuade such investments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.