Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by screeton
Yawn... more of the same. There are two viewpoints at play here and neither side is going to concede that the other is correct so discussion is really pointless except as entertainment during a slow afternoon at the office. False logic and a lack of any scientific understanding of infection control does not change reality. Do as you will, its your body, but keep enough private health insurance so that I don't have to help pay for your care if you are wrong.
Yawn. Lol. So why am I wrong?
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by screeton
Do as you will, its your body, but keep enough private health insurance so that I don't have to help pay for your care if you are wrong.
We're all already paying for each other's healthcare, plus we're paying for the additional 60% of bloat placed on top by the insurance industry itself.
joshua362 and kennycrudup like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
It's remarkable to realize that there are people who believe that masks are as necessary and effective now as they were 2 years ago, and also people who believe that masks were never necessary or effective, despite the fact that virus of 2 years ago is very different from the virus of today. People's beliefs are so durable.
I'm just following the science, because every randomized controlled trial has shown that they do nothing to stop the spread of the virus. Pre-2019 studies showed the same thing with other respiratory viruses.

There are also concerns about the effect of inhaling microplastics from masks, especially since many service workers have been wearing them 8+ hours a day for two years.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:23 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I feel as if I’m ahead of the curve on masks. In my travel today I wore a mask everywhere EXCEPT on the plane at altitude, which I regard as quite safe. Now I learn that Los Angeles County today mandated this policy for everyone. In airports, on buses, on trains. Other localities are likely to require masks on buses and trains for a while. I’m not a big fan of mandates but if they are imposed locally by a vote of elected officials I completely support them. That’s the right way to make policy because it promotes compromise and consensus. Just my opinion.
screeton and northinsouth like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I feel as if I’m ahead of the curve on masks. In my travel today I wore a mask everywhere EXCEPT on the plane at altitude, which I regard as quite safe. Now I learn that Los Angeles County today mandated this policy for everyone. In airports, on buses, on trains. Other localities are likely to require masks on buses and trains for a while. I’m not a big fan of mandates but if they are imposed locally by a vote of elected officials I completely support them. That’s the right way to make policy because it promotes compromise and consensus. Just my opinion.
Nobody has a problem with people choosing to wear masks. If the placebo effect helps you feel better, go for it. The problem has always been heavy-handed mandates and the near-impossible to obtain exemptions for people with medical conditions.
kennycrudup and Kevin AA like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by m907
Nobody has a problem with people choosing to wear masks. If the placebo effect helps you feel better, go for it. The problem has always been heavy-handed mandates and the near-impossible to obtain exemptions for people with medical conditions.
Actually lots people do have problems with people wearing masks. It was all the big joke here among the covidiot set back in 2020 to walk up and cough in the faces of people who were wearing masks in the grocery store.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Actually lots people do have problems with people wearing masks. It was all the big joke here among the covidiot set back in 2020 to walk up and cough in the faces of people who were wearing masks in the grocery store.
One or two videos online capture the sentiments of 150 million Americans? I don't think so.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by m907
One or two videos online capture the sentiments of 150 million Americans? I don't think so.
Try dozens of reports of that in my local NextDoor feed for my small metro area of Florida back then.

But then I live in an awful place in many ways. (Alas it makes financial sense to grind it out here a few more years)
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
I'm with you on this. I was (and still am) uneasy with governors making excessive executive mandates. But our city council has had lots of discussions on local covid rules for the past two years, with open public hearings and debate, and then on-the-record votes. Our city has been a little more covid-cautious than some other surrounding cities, but that's okay - it's how government is supposed to work, and represents our local population fairly well.

I don't personally have any issue with a city keeping its public transit mask mandate in place. That's one thing a vulnerable population often can't avoid using. They may be able to avoid crowded indoor spaces elsewhere, but they gotta get into a crowded train or bus to get where they need to go. I have no problem requiring everyone to mask up for them, even though I'm happy to not wear a mask now in most other places.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Again, no matter how much the PG crowd here likes to f-tishize Covid being this total, deathly killer, the reality is it is not*, sorry, and therefore, most of us- the 95+ -odd percent of us who are healthy (i.e., those of us smart enough to keep two things out of our mouths- cancer sticks and forks) have stopped worrying about it; it's like "oh damn, I have a cold". Again, if you're vulnerable, stay home and leave the overwhelming rest of us the F alone- for two years the world has gone to isht keeping you vulnerables from being culled off alive, but it's long past time for the world to get back to taking care of the rest of us.

* - read that in a "Dr. Cox" voice
joshua362 and MrsWLV like this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I would enjoy watching the reaction if someone tried that with most of the mask wearing people I know. They probably would quickly decide that it was not optimum behavior on their part.

Last edited by screeton; Apr 26, 2022 at 1:35 pm
Old Apr 27, 2022, 5:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
<snort>

Yeah, OK. Most Mask Nazis are the kind of people who'd have a heart attack if you "Boo!"'d'em from behind. 🙄
Old May 1, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Sick of mask talk. I must be an idiot as I wore inside the plane last week (but was happy to not wear one inside the airport). But I don't care what anyone else does. And if I was in a plane that wasn't very full I'd take the mask off in the plane too. It is nice to have a choice what to do. I wish folks who were sick would wear masks but that is not going to happen in the US ever.

Bottom line is mask mandates are gone, hopefully forever, and hopefully such mandates will be deemed illegal. These accomplished nothing but to pit people against each other and cause tension and discomfort. But if you want to wear a mask... go ahead and wear one. Your choice. My choice. And I will make that choice in situations where I feel it is a good idea. But I expect soon trying to walk into a bank, jewelry store, or convenience store with a mask on will be disallowed for safety reasons as many are using masks to hide their identity and steal/rob businesses.

Back to more trivial topics. How about when you get a C boarding position even when you check in exactly 24 hours before scheduled flight time?
m907 likes this.

Last edited by storewanderer; May 1, 2022 at 2:02 pm
Old May 2, 2022, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Back to more trivial topics. How about when you get a C boarding position even when you check in exactly 24 hours before scheduled flight time?
Just give a pre-boarder $20 to hold a seat for you.
Old May 3, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Bump of a 14 year old thread. Impressive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.