Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by lsquare
Yet, no one else at the hearing tested positive for COVID.

No need to explain anymore. You are in Texas, right? Judging from your post, it makes perfect sense.
well that comment was very scientific. Unless your are wearing an N95 mask 100% of the time you will have some moderate risk of getting COVID. However, if otherwise healthy and vaccinated your experience will likely be mild. And just read that those who have been boosted and get breakthrough infection are achieve8ng “super immunity”. But again I say the problem is not NOT getting it, it is surviving it which is relatively simple to do if vaccinated and healthy.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Who gives a flip? And no proof here that he wouldn’t have gotten COVID with a mask. We need to get over being afraid of CoViD if we are vaccinated. Of course if you have other medical conditions such as diabetes then that’s a different story. Stay home and mask up. The rest of us need to keep the world rotating.
You are not very considerate of immunocompromised and elderly people and many others, don't you think? Don't they have as much as a right to travel as you? What is the big deal about wearing a mask? They do it all the time in many Asian countries. You can just as well keep the world rotating with a mask on.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I acknowledged that those with certain medical conditions are at risk. And I never stated that wearing masks was the problem or a problem. What I stated is that the continued running fromCOVID, shutting things down, etc etc is what will create significant headwinds and cause long lasting damage to our world and society.

having said that there is no one, I repeat no one, on this planet who can actually state they enjoy wearing masks all the time, or maybe even at all. The future of this planet, IMO, is not one where we all wear masks 24/7 or avoid close contact with anyone.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 8:09 pm

Who cares. 99% probability that Gary Kelly will survive, fully recover and go on with life. People get sick all the time with all sorts of viruses. We don't stop eating just because we sometimes might get food poisoning.

Based on what I saw that passes for a "mask" the mandate might as well be abolished. There's a point at which we need to stop at "Good Enough" and we're well past it.

For the record, everyone in that hearing room was maskless.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 8:22 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
"I think the case is very strong that masks don't add much if anything in the air cabin environment -- it's very safe, very high quality compared to any other indoor setting," Kelly said.
I agree with this. 10 minutes after takeoff I figure the air is much better in the plane than it is at work. I would be OK with masks off at cruise altitude.

[mod hat]Because this thread has a news anchor we can allow some mask discussion with the understanding that this thread will be locked at some point and mask discussion will again be redirection to the Peanut Gallery.[/mod hat]

Edited to add: That was one of my least successful moderation decisions ever. Fortunately I had the good sense to ask my co-moderator to change it if he disagreed, and he took care of the mess I created. I wish everyone here a Merry Christmas debating masks in the Peanut Gallery. Or you could spend the holiday with your families.

On the topic of masks, I would not be surprised to see a long-term and possibly permanent rule appear requiring masks whenever the seat belt sign is on.

Last edited by nsx; Dec 18, 2021 at 11:14 am
Old Dec 18, 2021, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr

having said that there is no one, I repeat no one, on this planet who can actually state they enjoy wearing masks all the time, or maybe even at all. The future of this planet, IMO, is not one where we all wear masks 24/7 or avoid close contact with anyone.
Oh hey, did you happen to ask the 8billion people on the planet you interviewed about enjoying mask wearing any other questions? or did you only have time for that one?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 1:22 am

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Rapid Rewards
Yet, no one else at the hearing tested positive for COVID.

No need to explain anymore. You are in Texas, right? Judging from your post, it makes perfect sense.
I went ahead and reported your post and hope the moderators take appropriate action on your account.

I may be new here but realize that personal attacks are never allowed.
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 2:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by PHXflier
You are not very considerate of immunocompromised and elderly people and many others, don't you think? Don't they have as much as a right to travel as you? What is the big deal about wearing a mask? They do it all the time in many Asian countries. You can just as well keep the world rotating with a mask on.
They don’t.

Your liberty extends to where it stops mine.

If you’re scared stay home; don’t interfere with my life.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
As someone who has sat this whole thing out so far in Asia, where wearing facemasks has become the new norm, I find it sad that people equate wearing a face mask to some grand infringement on liberty.

It’s a face mask, and many in Asia wore them as protection from air pollution prior to COVID when nobody claimed it was some infringement on personal liberties then. It’s weird the first while of wearing but eventually one gets used to it and it becomes nothing.

Also, prior to COVID if you got into a lift without a facemask in some cities (like Hong Kong) others would decline to get into the lift because they don’t want your lurgies.

A facemask is not an infringement of liberties. It is a polite consideration to others. I cannot understand why people view this as an infringement on liberties.

Far better than having what one can do limited - which is an infringement.

Last edited by ahopkins767; Dec 18, 2021 at 3:27 am
Old Dec 18, 2021, 4:45 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ahopkins767
A facemask is not an infringement of liberties. It is a polite consideration to others. I cannot understand why people view this as an infringement on liberties.
Umm maybe because it's mandatory?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 5:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Originally Posted by gojko88
Umm maybe because it's mandatory?
So is wearing clothes when outdoors - the lack of being "indecent exposure" which is a criminal offense in many countries, therefore making it mandatory.

Face masks are just another item of clothing - a fabric covering a part of the body,
Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:27 am

My first post ever in a mask conversation

The airplane can have the best filtration system in the world, but you're stuck in a middle seat between two strangers, rubbing hips, shoulders and forearms, and that stranger turns to you and says "So, where are you from?" and a conversation is struck up; your mouths are less than 24 inches apart...is this super duper airline filtration system sucking up all those particles immediately?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Did you even read the article?

​​​​​
Yes, I read the article. Where does anything indicate Kelly is an idiot?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp
My first post ever in a mask conversation

The airplane can have the best filtration system in the world, but you're stuck in a middle seat between two strangers, rubbing hips, shoulders and forearms, and that stranger turns to you and says "So, where are you from?" and a conversation is struck up; your mouths are less than 24 inches apart...is this super duper airline filtration system sucking up all those particles immediately?
Newsflash, your mask doesn't capture all those particles either. And IME when my noise canceling headphones are on people leave me alone.

And TBH....I don't care about exposure to viruses or particles that don't make me sick. Unless you're a Passenger of Size in which case you've booked a second seat anyway, or 75 years old, or have some pre-existing condition, Covid falls into that category. Masks, however, are guaranteed to cause discomfort 100% of the time it is on my face.

People get sick all the time with all sorts of bugs. We used to get sick, put up with a few days of sniffles and get better. All with no masks. I have no idea who put the hypochondriacs in charge of running the country (into the ground), but the notion that one can hide from this virus forever is patently ridiculous. Everyone will get it. The vast, vast majority will survive.
m907 likes this.

Last edited by stupidhead; Dec 18, 2021 at 7:32 am
Old Dec 18, 2021, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by steved5480
@cnnbrk: Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly tests positive for Covid-19 after appearing at a US Senate hearing on Wednesday, a spokesperson for the airline confirmed to Reuters
https://cnn.it/3E7nD0L
Do Kelly's flight home seatmates have to be tested?

Here's a fun fact. Coronavirus is up to 34,000% larger than fart molecules. Picture a basketball and a poppy seed. It seems the virus particles have a much harder time getting through a mask than odors in the air.

[Dr. Lauren Hale, Stony Brook University]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.