Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2021, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by dansachs
Spirit will add a fee to not wear a mask.
Hahaha! And then charge the next guy a fee to sit next to a maskless passenger!
steved5480 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by fiuchris
I truly hope one of the long term lasting behavioral changes from COVID-19 is the normalization of wearing a mask if you feel ill but still must travel.
Or, how about not traveling at all if you feel ill? Masks provide little more than a false sense of security.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by m907
Or, how about not traveling at all if you feel ill? Masks provide little more than a false sense of security.
Must implies there is no other alternative.
For example - a passenger who gets the flu on the last few days of a vacation. They must travel home so wearing a mask sure beats not wearing one for the ill passenger. That's the point.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by HighFlyinChar
Must implies there is no other alternative.
For example - a passenger who gets the flu on the last few days of a vacation. They must travel home so wearing a mask sure beats not wearing one for the ill passenger. That's the point.
Again, not traveling beats the mask, which does little more than provide a false sense of security.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 12:09 pm

Again, not traveling beats the mask, which does little more than provide a false sense of security.
Again...if you MUST (as in there is no other option) wearing a mask is better than not wearing one. Even your comment acknowledges that by it doing "little". Little is better than nothing.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Though most everyone would agree with this statement, reality is another story. Not going to argue what situation means a person "must" travel, but it happens. People will travel. Period.

Covering your mouth when you sneeze has long been accepted as a good measure to avoid spreading germs. Using a mask to limit what comes out of your mouth into the air around you is better than NOTHING. So, if the person is going to travel no matter what, would you prefer they not wear a mask?
Old Mar 19, 2021, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Just like there is a continuum of what constitutes "essential" travel, there is a continuum of "sick". Masks have been scientifically proven dozens of times over at this point to be beneficial in slowing the spread of airborne viruses, with the degree of benefit ranging depending on the specific masks and other parameters of the study. Therefore, if a new standard is that you put on a standard disposable mask when you're *kinda* sick but still traveling, fewer people will get the typical colds and flus that commonly spread on airplanes, not to mention whatever this particular coronavirus ends up being on a long-term basis.

In many regions of the U.S., the mask wearing to prevent covid has also led to very low caseloads for flu. This is true even in areas where kids are in school in person. (Schools being a common annual hotbed for flu.) Nobody should believe a mask makes them impervious to all viruses, but they do slow the spread and are basically free, effortless risk mitigation.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Though most everyone would agree with this statement, reality is another story. Not going to argue what situation means a person "must" travel, but it happens. People will travel. Period.

Covering your mouth when you sneeze has long been accepted as a good measure to avoid spreading germs. Using a mask to limit what comes out of your mouth into the air around you is better than NOTHING. So, if the person is going to travel no matter what, would you prefer they not wear a mask?
Masks make people feel safe but they do nothing. Fauci himself said in March 2020 that he didn't want people wearing masks because they provide almost no benefit but make people feel safe. He changed his tone when he realized masks could become a route to increased political power.

If you tell people they can wear a mask if they're sick but must travel, you're not just going to get the people who "must travel". You're going to get a whole bunch of sick people traveling when they don't need to because they think masks are guaranteed safety.

Originally Posted by pinniped
Just like there is a continuum of what constitutes "essential" travel, there is a continuum of "sick". Masks have been scientifically proven dozens of times over at this point to be beneficial in slowing the spread of airborne viruses, with the degree of benefit ranging depending on the specific masks and other parameters of the study. Therefore, if a new standard is that you put on a standard disposable mask when you're *kinda* sick but still traveling, fewer people will get the typical colds and flus that commonly spread on airplanes, not to mention whatever this particular coronavirus ends up being on a long-term basis.

In many regions of the U.S., the mask wearing to prevent covid has also led to very low caseloads for flu. This is true even in areas where kids are in school in person. (Schools being a common annual hotbed for flu.) Nobody should believe a mask makes them impervious to all viruses, but they do slow the spread and are basically free, effortless risk mitigation.
Where is the evidence that masks specifically have prevented the flu? The low caseloads are due at least in part to low testing. Anyone who feels sick these days gets tested for the coronavirus. They don't administer a flu test after that.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 3:41 pm

Masks make people feel safe but they do nothing. Fauci himself said in March 2020 that he didn't want people wearing masks because they provide almost no benefit but make people feel safe. He changed his tone when he realized masks could become a route to increased political power.

If you tell people they can wear a mask if they're sick but must travel, you're not just going to get the people who "must travel". You're going to get a whole bunch of sick people traveling when they don't need to because they think masks are guaranteed safety.

Where is the evidence that masks specifically have prevented the flu? The low caseloads are due at least in part to low testing. Anyone who feels sick these days gets tested for the coronavirus. They don't administer a flu test after that.
And...you're the problem in this country. Good day, sir.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 8:58 pm

The mental gymnastics it takes to justify non-mask use are astounding.
dlaue and steved5480 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Every day I spend in the real world just keeps reminding me how much of a bubble FT (and its apparently higher-than-average aged and/or unhealthy demographic) is. Any place I start talking to people- especially in FL with all these open bars, restaurants, clubs and events- we're all swapping Covid stories. Even the plethora of Tri-State area snowbirds at my FL hotel stop masking after a couple of days.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Every day I spend in the real world just keeps reminding me how much of a bubble FT (and its apparently higher-than-average aged and/or unhealthy demographic) is. Any place I start talking to people- especially in FL with all these open bars, restaurants, clubs and events- we're all swapping Covid stories. Even the plethora of Tri-State area snowbirds at my FL hotel stop masking after a couple of days.
FL has been wide open for business. CA has been locked down tighter than Tom Thumb’s ...

And if I am not mistaken, FL has a higher proportion of vulnerable elderly people.

Compare the rates of infection. Quite instructive if you are honestly seeking the truth here.
kennycrudup and m907 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
FL has been wide open for business. CA has been locked down tighter than Tom Thumb’s ...

And if I am not mistaken, FL has a higher proportion of vulnerable elderly people.

Compare the rates of infection. Quite instructive if you are honestly seeking the truth here.
Yes. Please do. But maybe read more than the memes.

Why Do California and Florida Have Similar COVID-19 Case Rates?
Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I send pictures of packed, maskless restaurants and bars to my friends in Cali telling them they should come out here- "It's 2019 in Florida!"

... and you're right, FL is God's Waiting Room, and yet many of those maskless, close patrons are > 65 easily. I guess they don't read Flyertalk
Old Mar 26, 2021, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by HighFlyinChar
And...you're the problem in this country. Good day, sir.
Originally Posted by ursine1
The mental gymnastics it takes to justify non-mask use are astounding.
Unsurprisingly, neither of you actually responded to any of my points. You just called me a bad and/or dumb person. That's the epitome of the pseudoscientific coronavirus fear theology.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.