Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest jet slides off rainy runway at MDW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest jet slides off rainy runway at MDW

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Additional info, including first-hand account from grateful passenger...

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/n...,3486523.story
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Originally Posted by texashoser
If the aircraft had hit the EMAS system, the front landing gear would have collapsed.

On the contrary, EMAS is designed to cause minimal damage to the aircraft and allow easier extraction than getting stuck in the mud. If you take a look at this link which has pictures of all the EMAS 'traps' to date, you will see that none of them had the gear collapse:

EMAS Fact Sheet

I don't know why they veered off at the end. I assume that he was hoping he could make a high speed turn onto the run-up area of TWY E. There was strong right to left crosswind and maybe he was just drifting that way. However, if he made a conscious decision and opted to take it into the mud in order to cause less damage, then he made a very risky bet based on lack of knowledge about EMAS especially considering Cicero Ave is just a few feet away.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by mke9499

Got the registrations number is N799SW. Anyone who flown on this plane before?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Down3Green
On the contrary, EMAS is designed to cause minimal damage to the aircraft and allow easier extraction than getting stuck in the mud. If you take a look at this link which has pictures of all the EMAS 'traps' to date, you will see that none of them had the gear collapse:

EMAS Fact Sheet
Should have said I would have thought it more likely to have caused the front landing gear to collapse. I certainly wasn't suggesting that the pilot purposely chose to run into the grass vs. the EMAS system.

Here's an FAA circular on the topic:

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...0_5220_22a.pdf

Last edited by texashoser; Apr 26, 2011 at 8:34 pm
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Southwst is getting really good at this!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mke9499

I'm glad that the pax thinks that the pilot saved their life. However, the truth will have to be investigated. Something went terribly wrong.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by formeraa
I'm glad that the pax thinks that the pilot saved their life. However, the truth will have to be investigated. Something went terribly wrong.
Yes, sure they did. They are very lucky to be alive today. None of the passengers is being killed or fatalilities, too. None of the passengers taken to locals hospitals. Great job to WN pilots!! ^^^^
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now and say that they attempted to make the turn at a semi reasonable speed then hydroplaned into the mud. Of course, I could be totally wrong.

Also, I've noticed people making comments about the safety of BUR and MDW around the internet yet nobody seems to make mention of SNA: the shortest runway in the US that sees lots of full size jets (yes there is EYW, but that sees like 3 per day?)
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Similar occurrence at Burbank

20-something years ago. Airplane ended up on a Burbank city street, blocking traffic.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
20-something years ago. Airplane ended up on a Burbank city street, blocking traffic.
It happened only eleven years ago; the plane barely missed a gas station across the street from the end of the runway.

NTSB Aviation Accident Brief - Southwest Airlines Flight 1455

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.